U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-22-2008, 11:41 PM

95 posts, read 279,003 times

Advertisements

I look at it this way,
The government spends billions enforcing marijuana laws having it illegal, if it was legalized on a federal level they would make billions on indirect taxes from it.

In California they have decriminalized it, basically in California if you get caught with anything under 28 grams you cannot get arrested and cannot be imprisoned, you get a 100 dollar ticket and a misdemeanor. Growing any amount is still considered a felony and selling any amount is considered a felony, of course if you just get caught giving it as a gift then that is still a misdemeanor.

Two counties in California (Santa Cruz and San Francisco) the police forces agreed to make marijuana citations and arrests at the bottom of their agenda, not quite the non-enforcement policy of Netherlands, but as close as I think we can get. Another great thing is that San Francisco county has agreed that than on top of their almost non-enforcement of marijuana they made it so if a cop smells, sees, or suspects any one in a residence smoking or consuming marijuana; it is not considered probable cause for the police officer to enter the residence, or even knock on the door for that matter.

It's seems these little stepping stones of almost non-enforcement in some counties in California on top of the states decriminalization is a huge step towards federal legalization.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2008, 12:45 AM

3,306 posts, read 3,325,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RLangben View Post
It's seems these little stepping stones of almost non-enforcement in some counties in California on top of the states decriminalization is a huge step towards federal legalization.
Sure, in a way. But most benefits come from the legalization of the selling and distribution of Marijuana.

In a sense the decriminalization of Marijuana on the user side while keeping it legal on the selling side increases the problems much like prohibition.

Old 10-23-2008, 01:46 AM

9,616 posts, read 11,066,557 times
Default Love thy (pot smokin') neighbor!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
Doesn't matter to me. I don't love it.
Hey... aren't you a member of this society? This is a problem. Needs attention, and input. Don't just walk away with this sort of remark. We need your keen social mind applied to the "sitch"!

Also, to your earlier comment: "The Manatee County Sheriff's Office says it knew weekly street
shootings that plagued county neighborhoods two years ago were signs of gang warfare."

Sounds like you DO NEED to be armed. My condolences, man. I'll tell you though; there's nothin' like pointing your nice warm .45 Auto at a gang-banging thuggo who's heading your way to change "the dynamic" of the situation. Not the least of which is you're far more likely to survive. Especially in the apparently heated culture where you choose (?) to live.

Last edited by rifleman; 10-23-2008 at 01:52 AM.. Reason: typos, clarity

Old 10-23-2008, 04:35 AM

3,306 posts, read 3,325,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman View Post
I'll tell you though; there's nothin' like pointing your nice warm .45 Auto at a gang-banging thuggo who's heading your way to change "the dynamic" of the situation. Not the least of which is you're far more likely to survive. Especially in the apparently heated culture where you choose (?) to live.
Unless that gangster is part of the Wimps-R-Us gang, this is just a bunch of hot air. If you killed a member of a large gang, regardless of the situation, you are unlikely to live long. They will find you and shot you a few days later.

Gang members aren't particularly interested in shooting innocent people though. Its bad for business because it makes law enforce focus on them. When Soldiers of gangs do things like this they either get beat badly or killed. Gangs care about making money, they kill when there is a monetary benefit to killing. When they kill innocents their revenue drops.

Anyhow a gun isn't going to protect you from a member of a large gang.

Old 10-23-2008, 08:40 AM

1,364 posts, read 2,549,436 times
Just out of curiosity.....if pot ever did become legal when would people excpect it to happen? I've heard not for another 10 to 15 years but would like hope to believe it could happen sooner especially with states like California taking a stance on it (and hopefully it will show others that it's a good thing).

Old 10-23-2008, 02:31 PM

27,236 posts, read 40,279,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman View Post
Hey... aren't you a member of this society? This is a problem. Needs attention, and input. Don't just walk away with this sort of remark. We need your keen social mind applied to the "sitch"!

Also, to your earlier comment: "The Manatee County Sheriff's Office says it knew weekly street
shootings that plagued county neighborhoods two years ago were signs of gang warfare."

Sounds like you DO NEED to be armed. My condolences, man. I'll tell you though; there's nothin' like pointing your nice warm .45 Auto at a gang-banging thuggo who's heading your way to change "the dynamic" of the situation. Not the least of which is you're far more likely to survive. Especially in the apparently heated culture where you choose (?) to live.

I'm not afraid of anything happening to me...I'm no part of society, I choose NOT to be.

Old 10-23-2008, 06:19 PM

609 posts, read 1,043,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
I'm not afraid of anything happening to me...I'm no part of society, I choose NOT to be.
yet again, another one of TKramars unrealistic, and completely untrue remarks. you ahve a computer no? you pay taxes? you buy food? you read books? you are in some way, economically, sociall or politically attached to society.

the fact is it would effect you if some junkie broke into your house and a fight ensued and you died. dont be so condescending. if your such a rebel and anti-sociall why are you on this forum?

Old 10-23-2008, 08:51 PM

8,567 posts, read 14,520,600 times
Originally Posted by leangk
Quote:
the fact is it would effect you if some junkie broke into your house and a fight ensued and you died. dont be so condescending.
I believe that TKramar's point is that he isn't afraid to die for what he believes in.
Neither am I so my actions, unlike yours, aren't motivated by fear.
Quote:
if your such a rebel and anti-sociall why are you on this forum?
Because he somehow still cares about society?
Or maybe he doesn't care at all but just wants to state his opinion?

Old 10-24-2008, 12:48 AM

95 posts, read 279,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humanoid View Post
Sure, in a way. But most benefits come from the legalization of the selling and distribution of Marijuana.

In a sense the decriminalization of Marijuana on the user side while keeping it legal on the selling side increases the problems much like prohibition.
True, that is a large problem. It isn't really considered non-enforcement until we can have recreational coffee shops like in the Netherlands that can sell it without adverse legal repercussions. We can't even keep the DEA out of California's Medical Marijuana Dispensaries.

The point that I didn't emphasize enough is the large margin that the term "gift" provides within these California laws. The difference between gift and sale is only the proof that one received money for it, so basically even a public defender could prove that any sale was actually just a gift. Thus most sales that would have been felonies turn into misdemeanors, with the exact same fine and penalty ($100) as for simple possession.

Old 10-24-2008, 04:33 AM

27,236 posts, read 40,279,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky D View Post
Originally Posted by leangkI believe that TKramar's point is that he isn't afraid to die for what he believes in.
Neither am I so my actions, unlike yours, aren't motivated by fear. Because he somehow still cares about society?
Or maybe he doesn't care at all but just wants to state his opinion?
The latter. Everyone is entitled to my opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or