U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-27-2008, 03:44 AM

18,290 posts, read 18,533,242 times

Advertisements

Very little is decided in this country without big money behind it.
Check out what industries oppose hemp production and you might find the brainwashing behind the illegalility of marijuana.
Hint: paper/petroleum for starters.
Add in the size of and/or taxes collected from the beer /liquor, and drug industry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2008, 10:16 PM

7 posts, read 13,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by *Danielle* View Post
Lefty Dan...die I touch a nerve with you?

I am sorry,,,people will shoot you for 5 dollars or for your 5 dollar amount of weed. You must have never been to Detroit. Why don't you post a link to where DEA denies connections between weed and violence please. I would love to read them. And yes, I have smoked pot and I just don't like it. It makes me giddy with double vision. I would not be a good driver..I would be down right scarey and not safe. Why don't you post some links to pot and altered mind status.
I have posted legitimate reasons as to why I don't think it should be legal. Yet, you have not listed one. You try to justify getting high because 'alcohol is legal so why not pot' argument. This is not a discussion about the bible or alcohol. So why don't you try to give me a good reason why you feel the way you do instead of the tit for tat conversation going on?

http://www.drugwatch.org/CEDARS/MarDeaths2002e.pdf

Oh...sorry for the typo. I am a quick typer with a lot multi-taking going on. I wonder if I would type better if I were high....
You must have got some bad pot because it is illegal and felt that way because it was laced with paraquat that kills many thousands of wildlife animals from putting it on the crops. When if just left alone no animals would have died, no people would have got sick, the atmosphere would have got cleaner and you would'nt be complaing. If you don't like it don't do it.

Old 11-28-2008, 10:45 AM

2,518 posts, read 1,844,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by medsif View Post
If you don't like it don't do it.
As Ben Harper says: If you don't light my fire, then don't come around, 'cause I'm gonna burn one down.

You do realize that Thomas Jefferson and George Washington both grew it, smoked it, and even wrote the US Constitution on paper made from Hemp?

Old 11-29-2008, 09:31 PM

8,221 posts, read 10,947,521 times
Pot does not make for a good acronym. Mothers against pot smokers ... Maps? seems like a good thing not like getting MADD.
MADH . driving high? hmmmm what would we do if we cant get madd?

Old 11-29-2008, 11:31 PM

22,151 posts, read 26,611,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leftydan6 View Post
As Ben Harper says: If you don't light my fire, then don't come around, 'cause I'm gonna burn one down.

You do realize that Thomas Jefferson and George Washington both grew it, smoked it, and even wrote the US Constitution on paper made from Hemp?
People used to drive cars without seat belts, too, but it doesn't mean that should be done today.

Old 11-30-2008, 08:56 AM

7,091 posts, read 10,487,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
People used to drive cars without seat belts, too, but it doesn't mean that should be done today.
At the time all the other drugs were legal as well because people didn't know what they did or how they were bad for you.

Old 12-01-2008, 06:19 PM

2,008 posts, read 2,908,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
While I do choose to wear a seatbelt - I think it's pretty asinine that people are ticketed for not doing so. We all know what can happen when not wearing a seatbelt. and if we are adult enough to be expected to work and pay taxes, we are adult enough to choose whether or not we want to buckle up.

I agree that people SHOULD buckle up, but only to the extent that it's what I think is best - but it can get pretty crazy when we make laws about what we think is best for other people.

Old 12-02-2008, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleatis View Post
While I do choose to wear a seatbelt - I think it's pretty asinine that people are ticketed for not doing so. We all know what can happen when not wearing a seatbelt. and if we are adult enough to be expected to work and pay taxes, we are adult enough to choose whether or not we want to buckle up.

I agree that people SHOULD buckle up, but only to the extent that it's what I think is best - but it can get pretty crazy when we make laws about what we think is best for other people.
That's where the heart of a major part of this debate lies, within paternalism. We allow the government to tell us what to do and what not to do, and some people even need it. Shouldn't I, as an adult, know what's best for me and be responsible for making sure I'm taken care of? Do I really need Big Brother telling me what I can and cannot do if it's only about my own well being that they are concerned for?

I should be allowed to ride a motorcycle without a helmet, drive a car without a seatbelt and drink a bottle of Everclear as long as I am not putting others at risk. If I endanger public safety, then I should face consequences...but I shouldn't get in trouble for the possibility that I might endanger society. I took karate in high school and became good enough at it that I could beat people up without much effort...why wasn't I arrested for learning martial arts when it would make me dangerous to others? People should only get in trouble when they commit a crime. Possessing something is not a crime, poisoning one's own body is not a crime (or else we'd all be criminals for eating fast food, processed food, breathing Los Angeles air, drinking alcohol and smoking cigarettes), growing a plant is not a crime...so why are more than 1,000,000 people arrested each year for doing so?

I've been robbed, and the assailant was never caught.
I've called the cops because my then-girlfriend was assaulted by a dishwasher at the restaurant where she worked, they did nothing.
I've seen a friend of my sister kidnapped as a child and nobody was ever found.

Yet the cops have time to arrest 1,000,000 people each year for simple possession? Shouldn't they be spending their time on something that actually helps solve real crimes? Only about 60% of violent crimes are ever solved...maybe it's because the cops focus too much on narcotics!

Old 12-02-2008, 03:28 PM

3,486 posts, read 4,938,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leftydan6 View Post
I should be allowed to ride a motorcycle without a helmet, drive a car without a seatbelt and drink a bottle of Everclear as long as I am not putting others at risk. If I endanger public safety, then I should face consequences...but I shouldn't get in trouble for the possibility that I might endanger society. I took karate in high school and became good enough at it that I could beat people up without much effort...why wasn't I arrested for learning martial arts when it would make me dangerous to others? People should only get in trouble when they commit a crime. Possessing something is not a crime, poisoning one's own body is not a crime (or else we'd all be criminals for eating fast food, processed food, breathing Los Angeles air, drinking alcohol and smoking cigarettes), growing a plant is not a crime...so why are more than 1,000,000 people arrested each year for doing so?
From this, I draw the logical conclusion that you are against Universal Healthcare. Correct?

Old 12-02-2008, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redisca View Post
From this, I draw the logical conclusion that you are against Universal Healthcare. Correct?
I'm on the fence about it. While my libertarian leanings make me think that the free market is a good way to do it, I feel as though European nations (and Cuba, I've been to a hospital in Havana and it was vastly superior to Touro or Charity in New Orleans...and I didn't have to wait 6 hours for a Dr.) that have universal healthcare seem to have better healthcare for all and it hasn't bankrupted them in the process. The US is about 30th in life expectancy, which is pathetic when you consider that we're 1st in per-capita income. But all that being said, we need a lot more money coming in before we can spend more!

Last edited by Pug Life; 12-02-2008 at 04:02 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or