U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-08-2009, 01:59 PM

8,567 posts, read 14,542,663 times

Advertisements

Originally Posted by leftydan6
Quote:
Why do you think they call Oxy "Hillbilly Heroin"?
I doubt if the general Dutch guy actually knows what a hillbilly is.

Quote:
Seriously, do you know anything about Pharmaceuticals?
Nope, but then I'm not required to.
As a Dutch citizen I only have to know which drugs are legal (soft drugs) and which aren't (hard drugs).

BTW I see no point in subscribing medicine (hard drugs) to people when they eventually will become a bigger problem than the ailment it was meant to combat.
Then again I'm not a doctor either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2009, 05:11 PM

353 posts, read 886,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humanoid View Post
Can someone give one good argument as to why pot should not be legalized? I can't think of anything, the potential benefits as I see them are:

1.) Reduced speeding on law enforce related to pot.
2.) Tax revenue from growers and retailers which currently pay no taxes. You could also add additional taxes to retail sales much like the sale of tobacco products.
3.) Reduce drug related crime.
4.) Reduced the number of dangerous individuals coming into the country to smuggle drugs.
Most if not all of these arguments could be used to legalize prostitution too.

Old 01-10-2009, 06:54 PM

656 posts, read 953,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky D View Post
Originally Posted by leftydan6I doubt if the general Dutch guy actually knows what a hillbilly is.
But the average American guy does.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky D View Post
Nope, but then I'm not required to.
As a Dutch citizen I only have to know which drugs are legal (soft drugs) and which aren't (hard drugs).

BTW I see no point in subscribing medicine (hard drugs) to people when they eventually will become a bigger problem than the ailment it was meant to combat.
Then again I'm not a doctor either.
I see no point in making 'drugs' illegal when pharmaceuticals are more dangerous, more lethal, and more poisonous to the human body than illegal drugs (because they are illegal drugs in a refined form). If we want a prohibition on 'drugs' we need a prohibition on pharmaceuticals too. Prescription Drugs Kill 300 Percent More Americans Than Illegal Drugs!!
And we still are on this whole illegal drugs destroy lives, crap? Maybe we need to take a closer look at what is destroying lives and killing people and see that those little pills you get from your doctor are worse than buying a cut of heroin, coke, or some other drug off the street.

Now that's an inconvenient truth.

Old 01-11-2009, 07:06 AM

8,567 posts, read 14,542,663 times
Originally Posted by kb09
Quote:
Maybe we need to take a closer look at what is destroying lives and killing people and see that those little pills you get from your doctor are worse than buying a cut of heroin, coke, or some other drug off the street.
The only thing I'm addicted to are my comics and DVD's (movies).
I don't drink or smoke nor do I do any other form of legal or illegal drugs.

I also believe that doctors prescribe pills much too easily.
Then again, I believe that pills (or any other form of medicine) only combat the symptoms and not the cause itself.

Old 01-13-2009, 11:29 PM

423 posts, read 1,393,746 times
Is there a single reason pot should not be legalized? NO
Is there a single reason alcohol should not be legalized? YES
Is there a single reason cigarettes should not be legalized? YES

Old 01-14-2009, 05:24 PM

1,017 posts, read 2,646,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humanoid View Post
Can someone give one good argument as to why pot should not be legalized? I can't think of anything, the potential benefits as I see them are:

1.) Reduced speeding on law enforce related to pot.
2.) Tax revenue from growers and retailers which currently pay no taxes. You could also add additional taxes to retail sales much like the sale of tobacco products.
3.) Reduce drug related crime.
4.) Reduced the number of dangerous individuals coming into the country to smuggle drugs.
Smoke much?

Old 01-15-2009, 12:46 PM

41,505 posts, read 49,723,994 times
Pot should not be legalized because our legal system is making even more money than the growers on the stuff.

Old 01-16-2009, 08:28 AM

3,562 posts, read 4,859,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
1. Saying you should legalize pot b/c other bad things are legal is not a very good argument. You see how many problems are already caused by the other bad things (smoking, alcohol, etc).

2. Legalizing it may send the wrong message to our kids...like it's ok to recreationally use strong mind-altering substances.

3. You can drink without getting drunk. No point in smoking out if you don't get high. And the lack of coordination/poor judgement lasts a lot longer than when you're drunk on alcohol.

You have more control over yourself on pot than you do alcohol.

Old 01-16-2009, 01:53 PM

2,518 posts, read 1,852,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
1. Saying you should legalize pot b/c other bad things are legal is not a very good argument. You see how many problems are already caused by the other bad things (smoking, alcohol, etc).

2. Legalizing it may send the wrong message to our kids...like it's ok to recreationally use strong mind-altering substances.

3. You can drink without getting drunk. No point in smoking out if you don't get high. And the lack of coordination/poor judgement lasts a lot longer than when you're drunk on alcohol.
1. That's another one of those useless arguments that doesn't analyze the actual negatives of prohibition and the positives of the substance. It's a very simplistic argument that only those without any real information on the subject use. "We already have a couple bad things, we don't need another". Do you know how many things are legal that are more dangerous than pot? It makes no sense. In fact, since pot is safer than alcohol, legalizing it might lead a few people to switch from alcohol to pot and therefore make our streets safer.

2. "Sends the wrong message to our kids" is such a BS statement. Cigarettes, Alcohol and Caffiene are glorified in our society and all have far more dangerous effects than Pot. Plus, pot is not a "Strong mind-altering substance", you've clearly got no real idea on what pot is. LSD, Acid, Opium are "strong mind-altering substances" pot is at most a mild one, and not really even that.

3. Wow, this is clearly someone who knows nothing about pot. Really? Pot wears off after an hour, at most...ever heard of "still drunk the next morning"? Hangovers? Alcohol's effects last a long time, and if you get drunk, the only way to sober up is to sleep it off. Pot leaves your system in a matter of minutes, an hour at most unless you eat a bunch of magic brownies. You can also smoke weed without getting "high", you can get a light buzz to calm yourself down that does not impair you in any way.

Old 01-16-2009, 04:47 PM

5,532 posts, read 5,739,872 times
Default Is there a single reason pot should not be legalized?

Is there a single reason pot should not be legalized?
Yes, the American people decided against it. That is the only reason. When Americans will decide otherwise, it will become legal.

Last edited by oberon_1; 01-16-2009 at 04:59 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or