U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-09-2009, 10:07 AM

1,364 posts, read 2,548,898 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftydan6 View Post
Yeah, but MILLIONS have been killed by secondhand cigarette smoke.

This is a post that shows how ignorant a person can be. "I've seen stoned people before and it's a scary sight." Really? It's scary to see a group of strangers sitting at a dealer's house watching Family Guy and enjoying each other's company? It's scary to see someone eating a bag of doritos and still being hungry? It's scary to see a person enjoying the sound of music? Potheads may be a lot of things, but scary isn't one of them. The "fear of stoned people" was the same exact propaganda they used to make pot illegal in the first place.

But then again, this person is a puritan who thinks that the government should force us all to live the same boring life they live.
I'm guessing the scary people the poster was talking about were most likely just as scary off pot. Honestly I don't smoke pot anymore (but did quite a bit in college) and pot hardly changes a person's behaviors and it doesn't make them out of control, scary, or crazy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2009, 11:19 AM

8,797 posts, read 9,620,365 times
Today on NPR: Pot smoking linked to testicular Cancer? theres a single reason

Old 02-09-2009, 12:41 PM

423 posts, read 1,391,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWPAguy View Post
How about the fact that it is an intoxicating drug which has the possibility of intoxicating people who are not partaking in marijuana usage... unlike alcohol (another intoxicating drug which should be banned). At least someone who is drinking can only intoxicate himself. Someone who is smoking cigarettes is likely to offend anyone around him who doesn't smoke, but the smoke will not intoxicate people. Secondhand marijuana smoke has been known to cause a "contact high" for anyone who inhales it. There's a reason why being under the influence of marijuana is called "getting stoned". I've seen people stoned before, and it's a scary sight.

Marijuana should not be legal, and alcohol and cigarettes should be banned. Frankly, I think that all tobacco products should be banned... but if I don't have to smell them, I guess I can live with it. Nobody ever caused a death by being under the influence of nicotine.

Boy if this isn't a load of crap

Old 02-09-2009, 02:01 PM

656 posts, read 951,494 times
Quote:
How about the fact that it is an intoxicating drug which has the possibility of intoxicating people who are not partaking in marijuana usage... unlike alcohol (another intoxicating drug which should be banned). At least someone who is drinking can only intoxicate himself. Someone who is smoking cigarettes is likely to offend anyone around him who doesn't smoke, but the smoke will not intoxicate people. Secondhand marijuana smoke has been known to cause a "contact high" for anyone who inhales it. There's a reason why being under the influence of marijuana is called "getting stoned". I've seen people stoned before, and it's a scary sight.
Are you really being serious with that argument? Marijuana causes a contact high so lets just keep it illegal? What about the perfectly legal cigarette smoke that can KILL (kill being the operative word) people? Oh sorry, by you we should outlaw all that too though; and overnight bring back the days of prohibition and bootleggers just on another level (remember now, there wasn't three hundred million people in the twenties).

What is truly a scary sight is someone that is drunk off their rocker coming up to you with their nasty stink breath and blowing it in your face. What's scary is when they try to hit on you and are too drunk to get the 'get the f*ck back' memo. And all those nasty bar fights, drunk drivers, and domestic violence scenes that had alcohol as a main culprit. That's what's truly scary. Not some pot smoker sitting on the couch eating potato chips while they laugh at family guy. I'd take that any day over a drunkard.

Quote:
Marijuana should not be legal, and alcohol and cigarettes should be banned. Frankly, I think that all tobacco products should be banned... but if I don't have to smell them, I guess I can live with it. Nobody ever caused a death by being under the influence of nicotine.
See first paragraph of above post to address this ludicrous and ignorant statement.

Old 02-09-2009, 02:32 PM

2,518 posts, read 1,844,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftylefty View Post
Breathing the Air in LA leads to Lung Cancer. Should we make it illegal to breathe in LA?

Plus, that study was rather limited, and it's the only study to ever conclude that and even the ones who did the study said that the results are inconclusive. But regardless, being slightly unhealthy (Testicular cancer only occurs in about 8000 men a year and it does not have a high mortality rate, it's a pretty minor part of the American health problems) for you is not a reason to be illegal, otherwise, the supermarket would be empty.

I'm about to eat some Whole wheat tortellini with cheese, sounds healthy enough, right? Well, it will lead to plenty of problems, including heart disease, obesity, hypertension, and stomach cancer. Things should not be illegal for being unhealthy, they should just have a warning label.

Old 02-09-2009, 02:54 PM

11,425 posts, read 16,659,834 times
Quote:
Heres a link to it.
http://health.msn.com/health-topics/...2740&GT1=31025

Old 02-09-2009, 04:01 PM

7,450 posts, read 5,621,829 times
Quote:
Considering that there are other ways to ingest pot than smoking, that's not really a point against the drug.

Old 02-09-2009, 05:32 PM

19,081 posts, read 21,194,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Langlen View Post
Considering that there are other ways to ingest pot than smoking, that's not really a point against the drug.
lol Indeed.

Old 02-09-2009, 05:37 PM

55,237 posts, read 72,402,860 times
so what does not work for me. england has attempted to take the crime out of drugs with disasterous results. its not either or they both need to go. drugs & crime.

Old 02-09-2009, 05:54 PM

7,450 posts, read 5,621,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
so what does not work for me. england has attempted to take the crime out of drugs with disasterous results. its not either or they both need to go. drugs & crime.
Yet other countries have legalized drugs such as pot and shrooms without disastrous results. It's all in how you regulate it. If they legalize pot, and tax the hell out of it, it could be a way to break us out of this depression.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or