U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2008, 05:37 PM

32,798 posts, read 30,025,534 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
What about the crime of driving under the influence of pot?

By they way, why would people pay taxes on it if they could grow their own...just like you can distill or ferment your own alcohol?
For most people a couple hits is equal to a 12 pack of beer. Scary if driving.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2008, 05:44 PM

1,107 posts, read 2,633,754 times
Don't they have links with marijuana to help with treatments for cancer patients or other terminally ill patients?

P.S. I don't do any kind of drugs at all.

Old 10-20-2008, 06:00 PM

8,567 posts, read 14,514,836 times
Originally Posted by Humanoid
Quote:
They've already show they follow laws...after all.
I only follow those laws I agree with and I don't drink alcohol (or do drugs) because I find self-control more important than being accepted by the (sheep like) masses.

Quote:
No idea what you're talking about. I was referring to the way marijuana is mixed with other drugs. Once made legal you can successful regulate it and remove most of the more harmful marijuana from the streets.
The problem still is the fact that pot (like alcohol) damages the brain which affects how you make decisions.
Anywayz, controlling others is an illusion, the only 1 you can actually control is yourself.

Old 10-20-2008, 06:25 PM

3,911 posts, read 4,733,624 times
Five pages and not a single good reason. LOL

There are NO good reasons why it should be illegal. I emailed my congressman. He said health issues were the reason. That is the biggest load of crap. MILLIONS die each year due to tobacco, the WHO predicts that ONE BILLION may die this century due to tobacco. If you are against decriminialization of Marijuana due to to health issues, you must favor prohibition of tobacco and alcohol. My rep is such a hippocrit.

It is an absolute joke and an insult to my intelligence that the govt classifies it as a schedule one substance...... Thanks Dick Nixon..... now the budget is over 20 billion dollars annually for the failed war on drugs!!

Got to keep that prison system going, kind of like military governmental contracts.

Blackwater is asking for 10 billion this year to "help" with "the war on drugs" ie "war on citizens" or how blackwater puts it, "narco terror" wtf?...... absolutely unbelievable.

80 million citizens have smoked pot, glad they all didn't get caught... dam criminals

Old 10-21-2008, 05:56 AM

18,290 posts, read 18,527,133 times
"80 million citizens have smoked pot, glad they all didn't get caught... dam criminals"

Has anyone considered what would happen if all pot smokers simply started smoking publicly
In fact, wasn't there once a large demonstration where they did?
Sure couldn't them all in jail

Old 10-21-2008, 05:58 AM

27,236 posts, read 40,261,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
"80 million citizens have smoked pot, glad they all didn't get caught... dam criminals"

Has anyone considered what would happen if all pot smokers simply started smoking publicly
In fact, wasn't there once a large demonstration where they did?
Sure couldn't them all in jail
Remember Pink FLoyd?

"If I had my way...I'd have all of them shot!"

Old 10-21-2008, 06:18 AM

967 posts, read 2,655,056 times
"War on Drugs". That's why it remain illegal. There is simply too much money being made "fighting" it. Searching and destroying it gives the National Guard somthing to do when they're not deployed. Gives government another (not that need another...) excuse to seize the property of citizens. While I concur that it isn't good for you, I argue that flourise that is in your (yours, not mine ) water and toothpaste have a far greater impact on health than a joint. My favorite argument in comparing alcohol to pot is this: Drunk drivers kill because they're going too fast for their condition. Just the opposite when you're stoned. Last thing you want to do is go fast. Just want to eat some pizza and relax. If you do drive, you're probably going to be the guy in the right lane going 15 MPH.

There isn't any valid reason it shouldn't be legal.

After all, we're a "free" society... aren't we??? Oh, that's right, we're free to do what we're told to do.

Old 10-21-2008, 06:21 AM

967 posts, read 2,655,056 times
ON HEMP

Meant to stick this to my post.

Old 10-21-2008, 06:35 AM

2,441 posts, read 5,244,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Using that logic, then, alcohol should be made illegal, too. Right?
Yep. Although I drink occasionally (I might have a beer during the Superbowl if I go to watch it with friends) or at special occasions (a glass of champagne at a wedding or New Years Eve). Other than that, I don't drink. Not even at home. Did I drink in the past? Yep.. like a fish. I was in the Navy, remember. But, that doesn't make it right. A better question would be, if it was illegal, would I have imbibed. The answer to that is, no.

But, we can't turn back the hands of time. That cat is already out of the proverbial bag. But that doesn't mean we just throw out what's best for society as a whole (of course, that's subjective, and I understand that).

People who want to get high are going to do it anyway.. and justify it in any way possible. They just want to get drunk and high now. If I could be assured they'd stay in their houses, sure. But we can't even do that with people who drink.

I don't follow the logic of "as long as they do it in their house." That's a way of burying your head in the sand, to me. One day, people will have to pull their head out of ... the sand. And then it will be too late to be able to control it. It will have become too widespread and accepted (whether for detriment or not).

Old 10-21-2008, 06:40 AM

2,441 posts, read 5,244,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nevergoingback View Post
Five pages and not a single good reason. LOL
Nope.. You're right. Health hazards, impairment, and bad judgement (the last two involving people other than yourself - possibly to the extent of kililng others). None a good reason why you should not get high, though, you're right. Toke away. You've got it all figured out!

Like I said. People who want to get high are going to do it anyway. I could tell you that you would die in a year if you used it and you wouldn't think it's a good answer. Why ask if you really don't want to listen?

Oh.. got it. You want everyone to tell you that what you do illegally now should be legal. Well, you got your fan fare of tokers who agree. Now you can say that you've got a reason to smoke pot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or