U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 02-16-2009, 05:17 PM
 
1,245 posts, read 1,257,865 times
Reputation: 282

Advertisements

Pot is already decriminalized in some states. It will eventually be legalized seeing as how its not a dangerous drug and there are worse things that are already legal to purchase.
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-16-2009, 05:17 PM
 
3,651 posts, read 8,287,550 times
Reputation: 2758
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kereczr View Post
Nope, care to post any proof? Of course not, because you're wrong.
Way to sneer at someone for not providing proof and doing the same thing yourself.

Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-16-2009, 05:23 PM
 
3,651 posts, read 8,287,550 times
Reputation: 2758
Quote:
Originally Posted by leftydan6 View Post
Yes, because if all 50 states were given the option, some would legalize and some would ban.
...and if someone lived in the latter, they'd just drive to where it's legal to get it. I think this is what doomed the varying alcohol laws. Nope. Wouldn't work.

Quote:
If possession is allowed, shouldn't production and sales be allowed and taxed as well?
Absolutely. Going "half way" is ridiculous. Either ban or allow.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-16-2009, 05:24 PM
 
3,651 posts, read 8,287,550 times
Reputation: 2758
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kereczr View Post
simple minded eh?
Nice comeback.

You seem to really love the pot/kettle thing.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-16-2009, 05:36 PM
 
19,081 posts, read 21,830,534 times
Reputation: 13432
A call for prohibition is another guise for the nanny state, big brother, what have you.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-16-2009, 05:52 PM
 
3,651 posts, read 8,287,550 times
Reputation: 2758
Quote:
Originally Posted by kb09 View Post
OMG, your ignorance is simply astounding.

If you story is in fact, true, then hubby was doing something else other than pot and just didn't tell you about it. People don't steal, rape, and pillage for another joint; they will and do for heroin, crack, and meth.

And even if he was only using pot, I still think it should be legal. Pot can't steal, it can't rape, and it can't pillage; but people can. If you take the blame off the object and put it on the person, you'll see that objects can't make people do anything.

People will steal and sell themselves and family out for things that are legal as we speak, shall we also place a ban on those things also?

By golly, then everything would be illegal!!
OMG take a look in the mirror. Your logic has holes big enough to drive a truck through. Based on that logic, let's legalize every single substance, because that's true of them too. They don't steal, rape, etc etc etc.

And hey - while we're at it, guns don't kill people, people kill people, so let's make sure people can buy any kind of firearm they want! Same with rocket launchers, nerve gas, and baby nukes while we're at it!





Quote:
Originally Posted by leftydan6 View Post
While it sucks about your ex, he just sounds like someone who had no motivation to succeed in the first place. And plus, he has an alcohol problem, which if eliminated, would definitely make some of those other problems go away. That being said, some people are just driven to failure. Just because he's an irresponsible idiot, does not mean others will be. After all, there are tons of alcoholics out there, but there are plenty of perfectly repsonsible people who occasionally drink alcohol and live a perfectly productive life. He was a loser with or without the pot. I know plenty of people who not only held down jobs, but advanced up the corporate ladder while smoking pot every day along the way.
In fairness, this is absolutely true.

And to all, regardless of your stance, for crying out loud, saying "I know so-and-so and they were like this so that means it's true for everyone" does not mean it applies to the majority. Pot is not an automatic one-way ticket to doom, nor is it automatically "harmless." It can and does impact people in different ways.

Finally, stupid pet peeve but FYI to a few who have said this: it's called "pot," not "the pot."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shibumi View Post
I'm dropping in at the end of this thread, and don't want to read dozens of pages, so here's my simple question: why not just offer to true medical necessity cases the purified THC as we do with, say, OxyContin?
Because that's not the topic of the thread?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-16-2009, 05:53 PM
 
3,651 posts, read 8,287,550 times
Reputation: 2758
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickeldude View Post
there are worse things that are already legal to purchase.
...and 2 wrongs make a right. Got it.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-16-2009, 10:50 PM
 
Location: Pensacola, Fl
656 posts, read 973,963 times
Reputation: 378
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill545 View Post
OMG take a look in the mirror. Your logic has holes big enough to drive a truck through. Based on that logic, let's legalize every single substance, because that's true of them too. They don't steal, rape, etc etc etc.

And hey - while we're at it, guns don't kill people, people kill people, so let's make sure people can buy any kind of firearm they want! Same with rocket launchers, nerve gas, and baby nukes while we're at it!

People can't own nukes and rocket launchers because of the imminent danger they cause. It's just like you can't yell bomb on a plan.

And Mr. Pot, meet Ms. Kettle.

Based on your logic (btw I can fly an airplane through it), everything should be illegal. People might be the cause, but by golly, those damn things make people do it! Games? They make people shoot each other! Outlaw it! T.V. they make people have promiscuous and unprotected sex and when they get an STD they make the person go out and spread their disease killing off people in the droves! Outlaw it! McDonalds? They make people fat which can in turn cause them to have self esteem problems and make them shoot up schools or go on a rampage! Outlaw it! Let's see, we need to get rid of the arts, schools, government, books, ideologies, religions, and things; it's possible it can lead someone to kill, rape, shoot, or cause someone else besides the user bodily harm so it should be done away with! That covers everything right?



Are we through with the head slaps and pointless rhetoric? Yes? Okay.

Personally I believe in harm reduction and taking responsibility for your actions. Saying the weed made me do it, or blaming circumstances and problems on a thing (an inanimate object that causes no harm by itself, which btw includes nukes and rocket launchers) is not taking personal responsibility, it's blaming the outcome on things. I don't want what I consider a liberty to be taken away because some dipsh*t abuses that liberty. And I also don't need or want people to tell me what to put into my body and what not to. Right now you can go out and buy rat poison and down the whole thing. Where's the law outlawing it to 'save lives?' Where's the law on the pharmeceuticals that cause more harm than they help, or the laws on talking on a cellphone (they can cause brain cancer), or the laws on using microwaves (they can weaken your immune system)? Really, because if we are going to go into a Nanny state, then we need to have laws on everything that can and will cause bodily harm.

Last edited by kb09; 02-16-2009 at 11:06 PM..
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-16-2009, 11:01 PM
 
Location: Ohio
1,008 posts, read 676,869 times
Reputation: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by kb09 View Post
People can't own nukes and rocket launchers because of the imminent danger they cause. It's just like you can't yell bomb on a plan.

I don't think anybody could make a case for civilian ownership of an item such as an RPG-7, RPG-29, M72 LAW, MILAN, or an FGM-148 Javelin, presenting an imminent risk to society.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-17-2009, 06:58 AM
 
Location: Michigan--good on the rocks
2,544 posts, read 3,578,152 times
Reputation: 1940
^^^ It could be done, but it's waaay off topic.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top