U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 02-17-2009, 10:59 AM
 
Location: San Diego
2,518 posts, read 1,855,154 times
Reputation: 1298

Advertisements

I will ignore all your personal attacks and all your incredibly stupid talk about how your flabby body is somehow healthier than my chiseled one and how some random standardized test in High School was somehow more difficult than the California Bar Exam or admission into Yale University. Or how a doctor who has lived a perfect life (raised two incredibly successful children, provided medical care to countless people who could not afford it, has always been a loving friend, father, husband and son and who has NEVER been in trouble with the AMA in his 35+ years practicing medicine) is not a good person because he smoked pot. I will just focus on your precious ten commandments that somehow cause your ignorance and lack of understanding on marijuana laws.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWPAguy View Post
The Ten Commandments, in the NIV translation of the Bible, are:

1: "You shall have no other gods before me." (God is the highest of the high and you are not allowed to worship anything other than God.)
What a jealous god. He's so insecure that he can't accept any other gods being worshipped?
2: "You shall not make for yourself an idol in the form of anything in heaven above or on the earth beneath or in the waters below. You shall not bow down to them or worship them." (You are not allowed to create anything to worship in place of God.)
What a jealous god. He's so insecure that he can't accept any other gods being worshipped? Hey, didn't I just say that? So what's the deal with everyone wearing a crucifix? Isn't THAT an idol of Jesus?
3: "You shall not misuse the name of the LORD your God, for the LORD will not hold anyone guiltless who misuses his name." (Think about all of the modern colloquialisms we have today which invoke the name of God... we're not supposed to say any such thing.)
So? What's the big deal? Again, this has NOTHING to do with being a good person. I can say whatever I want as an expletive and still be a good person.
4: "Remember the Sabbath day by keeping it holy. Six days you shall labor and do all your work, but the seventh day is a Sabbath to the LORD your God. On it you shall not do any work, neither you, nor your son or daughter, nor your manservant or maidservant, nor your animals, nor the alien within your gates." (Work six days, chill for one. We all need a break.)
Manservant? So it's okay to have slaves, but it's not okay to work on Sunday. I have no problem with taking a day off, and we even have labor laws which protect us from being forced to work every day in most cases. But again, if I work 7 days a week helping the poor, does that make me a bad person because I don't take a day off?
5: "Honor your father and your mother" (Respect them for who they were even if you can't respect them on account of what they've done.)
Sure, it's generally good to honor your parents, and good parents always receive the respect of their children. But if my father was a murderer (my father is far from...he ran a global charity, was an incredibly accomplished member of the government and is a highly respected businessman as well) I would not honor him simply because he was my father. He dishonored me by being a murderer and should not be honored or respected as a result.
6: "You shall not murder." (Don't kill anyone who has not forfeited his own life by killing someone else.)
I love how you throw your little pro-death-penalty argument in there. I'm not sure Jesus would agree with you on that one. "An eye for an eye would make everyone blind". Clearly taking the life of another is wrong and you don't need the bible to tell you that...especially since many murderers identify as Christian.
7: "You shall not commit adultery." (Don't have sex with someone to whom you are not married. If you research this further, you will find that fornication and adultery are considered equal in the eyes of God.)
Again, breaking a promise is wrong, but you put your own belief that somehow it's wrong for people to have sex altogether. I bet you are also one of those who think masturbation is wrong too. Sex is a natural act of humans and it brings many rewards to the body, including the release of endorphins (which make people happy) and for men, it reduces risk of prostate cancer.
8: "You shall not steal." (Don't purposefully take things that are not rightfully yours.)
Yeah, I believe that too...and I didn't learn that from a book. I learned it in pre-school when we were taught not to take things from the other kids because it made them sad. It's illegal to steal in every society that recognizes personal property, regardless of their religion or lack thereof.
9: "You shall not give false testimony against your neighbor." (Don't tell lies about people.)
Again, a good thing to live by, but also not solely a "Christian belief". I don't gossip and I certainly don't tell lies about other people, and I certainly don't believe in the Ten Commandments.
10: "You shall not covet your neighbor's house. You shall not covet your neighbor's wife, or his manservant or maidservant, his ox or donkey, or anything that belongs to your neighbor." (Don't envy anyone, for any reason.)
Again, a good thing to live by, but also not solely a "Christian belief". I am never jealous of what others have, and I certainly don't believe in the Ten Commandments.
So not only do most of those commandments really serve no purpose, but there's so much else in the bible that is contradictory that it's pretty pathetic to base your entire life on that one book of fairy tales. And that's what it is. No man lives for 800 years. No man parts a sea. No man "walks on water" or comes back to life without the aid of modern science. These are all fairy tales used to entice stupid people into blindly following a cult that enriches the leaders while letting the rest live in poverty. Ever been to the Vatican? How about Catholic missions in the third world? If the Christian religion was really about making the world a better place, why would the Vatican be so opulent and rich while so many Christian places are so poor and desolate?

Remember, this is a debate about pot. And as long as we have so many other substances out there that are far more dangerous (OTC drugs, Sugar, Fatty foods, caffiene, salt, carcinogenic artificial additives, cell phones in cars and crosswalks, alcohol, Rx Drugs like Oxycontin, etc.) it's simply pathetic for people like you to continue to waste our hard-earned money paying to combat something so innocuous when our justice system is already overloaded with murders, robberies and rapes that go unsolved.

My house was robbed once, there were clear fingerprints left everywhere. But the cops did nothing but file a report and told us to call the insurance company, that they wouldn't waste their time on finding the people responsible. In the same city, I know at least 3 people busted for simple possession of pot (all are otherwise law-abiding people) who had to "pay for their crimes". This is a result of the stupid drug laws. People who actually would help the economy with legal pot are instead criminalized while actual criminals get away scott free because cops waste their time busting potheads.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-17-2009, 06:00 PM
 
3,651 posts, read 8,136,472 times
Reputation: 2748
Quote:
Originally Posted by kb09 View Post
People can't own nukes and rocket launchers because of the imminent danger they cause.
No, you just said that THEY don't cause any harm...it's the people using/abusing them, remember?

Quote:
Based on your logic (btw I can fly an airplane through it), everything should be illegal.
I'll skip past the airplane silliness (I guess you think you one-upped me since an airplane is bigger than a truck...whatever) since you actually decided to discuss this....anyway...

Sorry, but me disagreeing with your point doesn't mean I believe the opposite, so that is not my logic (or point). And while you may not believe everything should be legal, you at least implied it with your "substances don't do the harm it's the people using them" statement earlier.

Quote:
Personally I believe in harm reduction and taking responsibility for your actions.
Great; me too.

Quote:
Saying the weed made me do it, or blaming circumsances and problems on a thing (an inanimate object that causes no harm by itself, which btw includes nukes and rocket launchers)
um you just said "People can't own nukes and rocket launchers because of the imminent danger they cause." So do you think "inaminate objects" are responsible or not?

My point is there are a lot of stupid people out there and both they and the rest of us need protection from them. That's part of a government's job, in fact. Just because you're responsible doesn't mean everyone else is, and to say "well tough for them, then they earned whatever they get" is short-sighted, as they can and will harm others in the process, sooner or later. That's a statistical given.

Quote:
I don't want what I consider a liberty to be taken away because some dipsh*t abuses that liberty.
Me either, but that's life. eg I think I should be allowed to drive as fast as I want down the road, because I know I will not drive faster than is safe. But there are those pesky speed limits all the same. And can you honestly say there is no way even a responsible person might at some point abuse such a liberty? We're only human, after all.

Quote:
And I also don't need or want people to tell me what to put into my body and what not to.
Ah, finally - an honest answer from someone about this. ie it's not really about how MJ is "safe" or has medicinal value etc - I suspect you really favor its legalization simply because you like it and would love to be able to get it w/o fear of getting busted - even if it is shown harmful. PS that's not a slight, as I feel the same about alcohol. I just wish people who feel this way would say so.

Quote:
Right now you can go out and buy rat poison and down the whole thing.
Not a valid analogy since, unlike pot, rat poison is intended for something else entirely, not to mention the fact that it has no appeal to put into one's body.

Quote:
Where's the law on the pharmeceuticals that cause more harm than they help,
like.........

Quote:
or the laws on talking on a cellphone (they can cause brain cancer),
The weight of the evidence, which is based on larger studies, has shown no association between cell phone use and brain cancer (that's a quote from the Am Cancer Society, btw).

Quote:
or the laws on using microwaves (they can weaken your immune system)?
Also nothing there but claims with little to back them up. In fact the ACS says "Thaw meat, fish, or poultry in the microwave or refrigerator in a dish to catch drips. Do not thaw at room temperature." I really doubt they would do that if there was a real known danger of microwaves.

Quote:
Really, because if we are going to go into a Nanny state, then we need to have laws on everything that can and will cause bodily harm.
So outlaw everything or make everything legal. Neither extremist view makes any sense, for what I would hope are obvious reasons. How about a middle ground?

Anyway, generally speaking, I'm all for "medicinal THC" or at the very least increased studies to verify its real/potential good and bad effects, but legalize like cigarettes? No thanks, and it has nothing to do with being unhealthy. For every responsible intelligent user, there are far too many morons who become that much more so when high and often blatantly so. Also having drivers "spaced out" on the road (or operating machinery...etc etc) doesn't wow me either. Pass.

Last edited by joey2000; 02-17-2009 at 06:10 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-17-2009, 06:07 PM
 
3,911 posts, read 4,747,030 times
Reputation: 1822
NORML Blog Blog Archive A Marijuana Valentine To Jonathan Magbie: Patron Saint Of Unicorns

[Jonathan was just one of the 20-million Americans who’ve been arrested on marijuana charges, and 89% of them, just like Jonathan, for a very small amount intended for personal use. Bush’s Drug Czar, John Walters, recently claimed that jailed marijuana offenders are as rare as unicorns. Well, what about Jonathan Magbie, the Patron Saint of Unicorns, who died for one joint, jailed just blocks from the White House and Drug Czar’s very own plush and cozy office?]



Just another victim. So sad really.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-17-2009, 06:27 PM
 
3,911 posts, read 4,747,030 times
Reputation: 1822
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill545 View Post
like.........
FDA Approves Harmful Antibiotic | Your America | Reader's Digest

FDA Shields Drug Companies from Responsibility for Harmful Over-the-Counter Drug Ingredients


Potential Signals of Serious Risks/New Safety Information Identified from the Adverse Event Reporting System (AERS) between January - March 2008


Prominent political donor gets experimental drug without permission - FierceHealthcare

Its all a big money scheme, from the FDA to the DEA. What makes them money? Just follow the money. Keeping Pot illegal lines the pockets of both of these defunct govt behemoths.

What Is FDA's Mission Statement? To serve and protect the American public health or International Pharmaceuticals financial interests?

[As we spend more on health care in the form of FDA approved drugs, we're becoming sicker.]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-17-2009, 09:01 PM
 
Location: Yakima, WA
122 posts, read 198,001 times
Reputation: 41
Is there a single reason pot should not be legalized?

They're trying to protect us!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-18-2009, 12:10 AM
 
Location: Pensacola, Fl
656 posts, read 954,292 times
Reputation: 373
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill545 View Post
No, you just said that THEY don't cause any harm...it's the people using/abusing them, remember?
And it's true. Objects cannot do anything by themselves. A nuke cannot launch itself of it's own will. Get a human to press a button and suddenly it can.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill545 View Post
I'll skip past the airplane silliness (I guess you think you one-upped me since an airplane is bigger than a truck...whatever) since you actually decided to discuss this....anyway...
Twas in complete response to the silliness you posted (btw, I did one-up you ). Don't post silliness if you don't want it in return; tis the Golden Rule my friend! The Golden Rule!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill545 View Post
Sorry, but me disagreeing with your point doesn't mean I believe the opposite, so that is not my logic (or point). And while you may not believe everything should be legal, you at least implied it with your "substances don't do the harm it's the people using them" statement earlier.
Never said that. I said a substance or thing cannot do anything by itself. If you want to go back to my post, I said (as follows): "...can't steal, it can't rape, and it can't pillage; but people can. If you take the blame off the object and put it on the person, you'll see that objects can't make people do anything..."

What I am trying to say is that you can't blame an object for something, when the blame and responsibility lies squarely on the shoulders of the user. You can't say pot made me do it, because pot can't MAKE you do anything. It's a CHOICE to do pot, and it's CHOICE to do stupid things while high on pot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill545 View Post
Great; me too.
Awesome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill545 View Post
um you just said "People can't own nukes and rocket launchers because of the imminent danger they cause." So do you think "inaminate objects" are responsible or not?
The imminent danger factor is only present because of the human element. Take the human out of the scenario and what is a nuke gonna do? Grow a mind and decide to self destruct? And no, inaminate objects aren't responsible, it's the human element that is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill545 View Post
My point is there are a lot of stupid people out there and both they and the rest of us need protection from them. That's part of a government's job, in fact. Just because you're responsible doesn't mean everyone else is, and to say "well tough for them, then they earned whatever they get" is short-sighted, as they can and will harm others in the process, sooner or later. That's a statistical given.
Okay, so answer me this: how exactly are laws against pot protecting us? It seems to me that they do more damage than good. Drug cartels killing over territory, the shadiness and such of smuggling, the innocents caught in the cross fire. How in the hell are we being protected from 'stupid people' and their stupidity? It seems to me that more people die each year in the illegal drug trade than there are people dying of the effects of marijuana use. How in the hell does that make sense?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill545 View Post
Me either, but that's life. eg I think I should be allowed to drive as fast as I want down the road, because I know I will not drive faster than is safe. But there are those pesky speed limits all the same. And can you honestly say there is no way even a responsible person might at some point abuse such a liberty? We're only human, after all.
You can abuse a civil liberty, but if you choose to do so you must suffer the consequences. Freedom of speech is a civil liberty, yet I can abuse it. I can abuse it by yelling bomb on a plane or by saying that I will kill the president. Should we bring back censorship because people abuse their freedom of speech? Should we have a complete ban on guns because people abuse their right to bear arms?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill545 View Post
Ah, finally - an honest answer from someone about this. ie it's not really about how MJ is "safe" or has medicinal value etc - I suspect you really favor its legalization simply because you like it and would love to be able to get it w/o fear of getting busted - even if it is shown harmful. PS that's not a slight, as I feel the same about alcohol. I just wish people who feel this way would say so.
I'll be the first to admit that I've smoked pot and I'll also tell you that your dead wrong. I could give a damn if it was legal or not tomorrow; I'd light up a doobie and smoke till I'm satisfied, if I so please. Don't give me that "you just want it legal so you can smoke!" mantra; I know you're better than that. It's true that some only want it legalized for that reason, but I don't look at it that way. It's actually easier for me to get pot right now than it would be if it was legal, so you're whole, "it's easier if it's legal" argument is pretty much moot. I can call up a dealer and within ten minutes have as much weed as I desired. If I had a drug test coming up, I could go to walmart and buy the stuff that will clean my system. The way it is right now is completely unregulated and jeopardizing our security; which you so happened to point out is part of the government's job (seems like they're doing a lousy job to me). Legalize it and treat it like cigarettes or alcohol. Card people everytime the purchase; make it illegal to give to minors (which they can get right now because it's illegal), and turn a profit in the meantime.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill545 View Post
Not a valid analogy since, unlike pot, rat poison is intended for something else entirely, not to mention the fact that it has no appeal to put into one's body.
It really depends on what you think pot is intended for: for some it's medicinal and for other's it's recreational.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill545 View Post
like.........
FDLE: Pharmaceuticals Kill More Than Street Drugs - Health News Story - WJXT Jacksonville (http://www.news4jax.com/health/16587966/detail.html - broken link)

Where is the law prohibiting pharmaceuticals that kill three times as many people as illicit drugs combined? It's because people "need der meds," right? Most (if not all) meds do more harm than good and medicinal herbal remedies that you can grow out of the ground take out a good portion of what pharmaceuticals are supposedly supposed to 'heal.'

Truth is, pharmaceuticals are just street drugs in a suit that have a stamp of approval from the FDA to legally kill people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill545 View Post
Also nothing there but claims with little to back them up. In fact the ACS says "Thaw meat, fish, or poultry in the microwave or refrigerator in a dish to catch drips. Do not thaw at room temperature." I really doubt they would do that if there was a real known danger of microwaves.
Studies have been done that show people are more susceptible to the common cold, the flu, and other viruses if they microwaved food a good portion of the time rather than reheating in the oven or the stove. It's because the way the microwave 'reheats' the food (basically it's just heating up the water molecules in the food. It's the reason why crackers don't heat up or if you pop a stale one in there, it's just like new after thirty seconds).

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill545 View Post
So outlaw everything or make everything legal. Neither extremist view makes any sense, for what I would hope are obvious reasons. How about a middle ground?
Then what do you suppose the middle ground is? Where do you draw the line?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill545 View Post
Anyway, generally speaking, I'm all for "medicinal THC" or at the very least increased studies to verify its real/potential good and bad effects, but legalize like cigarettes? No thanks, and it has nothing to do with being unhealthy. For every responsible intelligent user, there are far too many morons who become that much more so when high and often blatantly so. Also having drivers "spaced out" on the road (or operating machinery...etc etc) doesn't wow me either. Pass.
Yea...I'm done. There is such a gaping hole in that last statement that I just don't know where to begin. I'll comment later when I have enough brain power.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-18-2009, 02:18 AM
 
Location: Long Island,New York
8,163 posts, read 12,859,114 times
Reputation: 2474
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humanoid View Post
Can someone give one good argument as to why pot should not be legalized? I can't think of anything, the potential benefits as I see them are:

1.) Reduced speeding on law enforce related to pot.
2.) Tax revenue from growers and retailers which currently pay no taxes. You could also add additional taxes to retail sales much like the sale of tobacco products.
3.) Reduce drug related crime.
4.) Reduced the number of dangerous individuals coming into the country to smuggle drugs.
You could actually get a company like Philip Morris to mass produce it in a pack(like cigarettes) and name your price and give half the money to the government and probably eliminate the federal deficit in under 10 years. This would also eliminate alot of drug dealers and would also create many jobs especially in places like the midwest,south,and Hawaii. It also is alot less harmful then cigs,and alcohol and still has not been proven to be physically addictive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-18-2009, 07:34 AM
 
681 posts, read 2,507,819 times
Reputation: 526
Quote:
Originally Posted by leftydan6 View Post
I will ignore all your personal attacks
Which one of us started the personal attacks? (I could give you a hint...)

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftydan6 View Post
and all your incredibly stupid talk about how your flabby body is somehow healthier than my chiseled one
How's the chronic pain today?

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftydan6 View Post
and how some random standardized test in High School was somehow more difficult than the California Bar Exam or admission into Yale University.
It was called the American High School Mathematics Examination and the American Invitational Mathematics Examination. Not exactly "random", I say.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftydan6 View Post
Or how a doctor who has lived a perfect life (raised two incredibly successful children, provided medical care to countless people who could not afford it, has always been a loving friend, father, husband and son and who has NEVER been in trouble with the AMA in his 35+ years practicing medicine) is not a good person because he smoked pot.
Apparently that's your definition of perfect. Let's see what God says, on this guy's day of judgment. In the end, that's all that matters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftydan6 View Post
I will just focus on your precious ten commandments that somehow cause your ignorance and lack of understanding on marijuana laws.
The Ten Commandments have never caused any ignorance. I'm sorry to see that you were ill-informed on that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftydan6 View Post
So not only do most of those commandments really serve no purpose, but there's so much else in the bible that is contradictory that it's pretty pathetic to base your entire life on that one book of fairy tales. And that's what it is.
So says the all-knowing master. I bow down before thee. (not)

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftydan6 View Post
No man lives for 800 years.
Were you there? Can you disprove it? Did you know Methuselah?

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftydan6 View Post
No man parts a sea.
Were you there? Can you disprove it? No? I'm sensing a trend...

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftydan6 View Post
No man "walks on water" or comes back to life without the aid of modern science.
Were you there? Can you disprove it? I might sound like a broken record but your intellectually void jabber isn't any better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftydan6 View Post
These are all fairy tales used to entice stupid people into blindly following a cult that enriches the leaders while letting the rest live in poverty. Ever been to the Vatican?
No. I'm not Catholic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftydan6 View Post
How about Catholic missions in the third world? If the Christian religion was really about making the world a better place, why would the Vatican be so opulent and rich while so many Christian places are so poor and desolate?
I wouldn't know. I'm not Catholic. Catholicism in its extreme form is a lot like a cult, but there are many Catholic churches that are close to indistinguishable from other Christian churches. Not all Catholic groups are bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftydan6 View Post
Remember, this is a debate about pot. And as long as we have so many other substances out there that are far more dangerous (OTC drugs,
These are dangerous only to certain people and/or under certain situations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftydan6 View Post
Sugar,
A substance your body needs to survive, which it produces if it does not take in enough. Oh yeah, dangerous. *groan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftydan6 View Post
Fatty foods,
If your body does not have enough fat, organ damage can result. Really dangerous here... I'm trembling in my socks... *rolls eyes*

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftydan6 View Post
caffiene,
Wow... we agree on one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftydan6 View Post
salt,
Another chemical that our bodies need, in moderation, to operate. I'll be having nightmares tonight...

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftydan6 View Post
carcinogenic artificial additives,
Make that two things upon which we agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftydan6 View Post
cell phones in cars and crosswalks,
Depends upon the situation. Sometimes driving while talking on the phone has kept me more awake and alert than I'd have been without talking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftydan6 View Post
alcohol,
So we agree on three things. Do you drink alcohol? I don't...

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftydan6 View Post
Rx Drugs like Oxycontin, etc.)
My best guess is that OxyContin wouldn't even exist if it didn't have medicinal benefits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftydan6 View Post
it's simply pathetic for people like you to continue to waste our hard-earned money paying to combat something so innocuous when our justice system is already overloaded with murders, robberies and rapes that go unsolved.
Many murders and robberies (but probably not rapes) are connected with drugs. People have been killed for drug money and they've sure as heck been robbed for drug money by people desperate for a fix.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftydan6 View Post
My house was robbed once, there were clear fingerprints left everywhere. But the cops did nothing but file a report and told us to call the insurance company, that they wouldn't waste their time on finding the people responsible.
You have my sympathy. This is why I support the Second Amendment. My house was broken into once when I was a young kid and my dad shot the guy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftydan6 View Post
In the same city, I know at least 3 people busted for simple possession of pot (all are otherwise law-abiding people) who had to "pay for their crimes". This is a result of the stupid drug laws. People who actually would help the economy with legal pot are instead criminalized while actual criminals get away scott free because cops waste their time busting potheads.
Or speeders.

I'm sorry, but you have yet to make a convincing point about why pot should be legalized. The more we push the line back, the more damage can be done to society. We should be pushing the line forward and making more drug-like compounds (such as nicotine, caffeine and alcohol) illegal but for specific medical necessities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-18-2009, 10:57 AM
 
Location: San Diego
2,518 posts, read 1,855,154 times
Reputation: 1298
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWPAguy View Post
How's the chronic pain today?
Considering the chronic pain is genetic and a result of my long athletic career, it has nothing to do with my health. My family has a history of joint problems (both sisters and my father have had knee surgery, mother has had wrist surgery, all for degenerative issues) and I was a 4 sport athlete in high school and a two sport athlete in college. I broke bones when I was in the 90th percentile in weight as a middle schooler and when I was an undersized Center on my college hockey team. My back has chronic pain because I grew 10 inches in a school year and have had a lot of pain in my back from the time I was in 7th grade. I played through the pain enough to be ranked in California in tennis, to play on the #3 American Legion baseball team in California, to play on the #1 high school hockey team in America and on a college baseball team that finished #5 in the country and led the nation in wins.

Quote:
It was called the American High School Mathematics Examination and the American Invitational Mathematics Examination. Not exactly "random", I say.
That test was a joke...I got a perfect score on it too...and every other easy standardized math test in high school. I was given the "Golden State Math Award" two years running. The California Bar actually requires years of study to even stand a chance of passing, let alone finishing in the top 5%.

Quote:
Apparently that's your definition of perfect. Let's see what God says, on this guy's day of judgment. In the end, that's all that matters.
Again, with the "you will be judged on judgement day because you are an evil infidel"



Quote:
I wouldn't know. I'm not Catholic. Catholicism in its extreme form is a lot like a cult, but there are many Catholic churches that are close to indistinguishable from other Christian churches. Not all Catholic groups are bad.
Whichever Christian church you are from is originally based from those evil Catholics. There have been countless religious wars that have split the once unified Christian church into splinter groups, all more radical and crazy than the next.


Quote:
If your body does not have enough fat, organ damage can result. Really dangerous here... I'm trembling in my socks... *rolls eyes*
Yes, but if your body has too much fat, you will suffer MANY problems. For me to suffer organ failure and all that jazz, I'd need to lose about 45 pounds, and that would only happen if there was some kind of major disaster or I was dying of cancer.


Quote:
Depends upon the situation. Sometimes driving while talking on the phone has kept me more awake and alert than I'd have been without talking.
If you needed to be on the phone to stay awake, you were a hazard on the road and were FAR more dangerous than any pothead. Shame on you.

Quote:
So we agree on three things. Do you drink alcohol? I don't...
Rarely, and only in moderation. Probably three to four times a year I will indulge in wine or scotch...maybe a beer if it's a special occaision.


Quote:
My best guess is that OxyContin wouldn't even exist if it didn't have medicinal benefits.
Oxy leads to more Heroin addictions than Marijuana because it is the same drug, just a different form. Marijuana HAS medicinal benefits and was "created by god", so I don't understand why a Christian would be MORE supportive of a synthetic Pharmaceutical being legal than a natural herb.
Quote:
Many murders and robberies (but probably not rapes) are connected with drugs. People have been killed for drug money and they've sure as heck been robbed for drug money by people desperate for a fix.
Again, confusing hard drugs with Marijuana, which only causes murders or robberies due the money associated with the black market. Nobody would ever kill for a "fix" of weed. Meth leads to violent crimes, but marijuana does the opposite, as it's a relaxant. Ending prohibition would immediately eliminate ALL gang activity related to the drugs legalized. Marijuana would be useless to street dealers if it was sold at liquor stores in neat packages.

Quote:
I'm sorry, but you have yet to make a convincing point about why pot should be legalized. The more we push the line back, the more damage can be done to society. We should be pushing the line forward and making more drug-like compounds (such as nicotine, caffeine and alcohol) illegal but for specific medical necessities.
Prohibitionists like you really have no clue about history. Don't you remember the last time religious nuts forced their prohibitionist ideals on us? It resulted in a period of lawlessness and organized crime that had not been seen in America's history. It was also a contributing factor to the great depression and the repeal was a huge factor in the recovery of our economy. All making something desirable illegal does is it gives power to organized crime and those willing to break the law to make money. Instead of making everything illegal, we need to teach people how to be responsible about their use and we need to help those who have addictions or problems associated with their use.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-18-2009, 07:10 PM
 
Location: Pensacola, Fl
656 posts, read 954,292 times
Reputation: 373
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWPAguy View Post
Depends upon the situation. Sometimes driving while talking on the phone has kept me more awake and alert than I'd have been without talking.
If you needed to talk on the phone to stay awake while driving, then you were already a hazard on the road. It is against the law to drive while sleepy (and while extremely upset too).

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWPAguy View Post
Many murders and robberies (but probably not rapes) are connected with drugs. People have been killed for drug money and they've sure as heck been robbed for drug money by people desperate for a fix.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWPAguy View Post
I'm sorry, but you have yet to make a convincing point about why pot should be legalized. The more we push the line back, the more damage can be done to society. We should be pushing the line forward and making more drug-like compounds (such as nicotine, caffeine and alcohol) illegal but for specific medical necessities.
Don't you realize that you've just given a reason why pot should be legalized (why should the anti prohibition side try? You're making the point for us)? You make the drug in question legal and you'll see the robberies and murders that are the cause of trafficking said drug will disappear. Pot isn't physically addictive enough that people will steal to get the money to buy it.

Why would you want to go back to an area of prohibtion on alcohol that caused one of the most violent periods in U.S. history? And please, enlighten me on how a substance can cause damage to society. I'd love to hear your response.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top