U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2008, 07:23 AM

2,441 posts, read 5,245,515 times

Advertisements

You know.. I was just thinking about this. I guess the stand point is really are you about individual freedoms or the "greater good" of society?

In re-reading the posts in here, I can see that people who seem to be a proponent of individual rights without (or less) regard for society or the rights of a society as a whole are the ones who think pot should be legalized. The thought, "I have a right to do what I want" prevails. Thus, I want to get high, and therefore it should be legal (which sounds a lot of what people were saying about alcohol back in prohibition).

Then there's the body of people that think that the needs or welfare of society should override individual needs. These people are the ones who argue against the legalizing of marijuana. They think, to an extent, that individual freedoms should take a back seat to the importance of protecting the masses.

I don't know if one is necessarily better than the other, and that's debatable. But as long as there's two sides to individual rights, this legalization won't be solved in a debate. The two sides of the argument would first have to agree on individual rights versus societal rights. And I don't think we, in here, are close to approaching any sort of consensus on that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2008, 08:04 AM

3,911 posts, read 4,734,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rathagos View Post
Nope.. You're right. Health hazards, impairment, and bad judgement (the last two involving people other than yourself - possibly to the extent of kililng others). None a good reason why you should not get high, though, you're right. Toke away. You've got it all figured out!

There are plenty of legal substances that fall under your reasons. I guess you missed my point So my question is why is pot singled out? I answered that question, because of the cost of enforcement, as stated in post by Hinton Brown.

The highest growth of abused drugs are in the prescription drug catagory. College campus' are wrought with them, where's the push to ban addirol?

Old 10-21-2008, 08:08 AM

3,031 posts, read 7,863,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokencrayola View Post
If you have ever smoked pot and been really high you know you cannot drive safely, there is one good reason there.
Then numerous other drugs should be outlawed, including alcohol. And hey, let's outlaw cell phones because they're not safe while driving either.

But seriously, give me the choice between a stoner and an alcoholic in the lane next to me and I'll take the stoner anytime. The alcoholic is going to drive like shyte, while the stoner is going to be going less than the speed limit and concentrating as hard as they can on the road.

Old 10-21-2008, 08:23 AM

28,906 posts, read 45,202,743 times
Heck, eat a quarter pounder with cheese with a large fry and coke every day, and that'll kill you a lot more surely than puffing away on a doobie a day.

Old 10-21-2008, 08:34 AM

3,306 posts, read 3,324,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rathagos View Post
I don't know if one is necessarily better than the other, and that's debatable. But as long as there's two sides to individual rights, this legalization won't be solved in a debate. The two sides of the argument would first have to agree on individual rights versus societal rights. And I don't think we, in here, are close to approaching any sort of consensus on that.
The idea that society is some how harmed from the legalization of Marijuana is weak at best. Where does the harm come from? Health wise it only will damage the individual doing it. It won't cost society a dime as you can just tax Marijuana to pay for any increase in Marijuana related health problems.

Legalizing Marijuana would be a positive thing for society. It would bring an industry that is currently underground into the mainstream. This would generate billions in tax revenue, reduce millions in law enforcement (if not billions), reduce crime (gangs after all...make money selling drugs) and reduce drug smuggling.

The only valid concern people have raised in this thread is the possible increase in people driving under the influence of Marijuana. But I don't think this would increase much. The same people that would drive under the influence are the sort of people that would smoke Marijuana regardless of whether it was legal or not. Not to mention instead of arresting people for pot cops could spend more time arresting people for doing things that are actually harmful to others like driving under the influence of mind alternating drugs.

Old 10-21-2008, 09:34 AM

1,364 posts, read 2,548,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
For most people a couple hits is equal to a 12 pack of beer. Scary if driving.
Link to support that claim? That isn't even close to being correct.

Old 10-21-2008, 09:41 AM

73 posts, read 284,822 times
The two major changes I would see are accesability and venue.

First, if its legal, you could get it at a convienence store, grocery store, maybe they would have specialty shops, like cigar shops (Maybe you could chalk that up as a plus, since it could stimulate *some* economy). You could get some on your way home from work. It would be another rite of passage. Think of how many kids go overboard when they get their license, go on a long road trip over the weekend, binge drink when they turn 21 (or enter college) . Their would be some group of kids out their that might be able to get pot that before wouldn't have the access.

Second is venue. Now, if you want to smoke it, you do it in the comfort of your house, your friends house, or at a party. Now it would be just as easy to smoke on your break at work, in a bar or in your car on the way home. I could see the conversation with the police officer, "I'm just smoking it now, so I feel good right when i get home"

The people who are pro-legalisation would look at these are triumphs, and I'm sure the people who are avidly against veiw this as another reason to keep it illegal.

Personally, I'm indifferent. Don't smoke it, if it would be legal, probably still wouldn't. Maybe we should prohibit refined sweetners, be it nutritive or not, I'm diabetic and all for that.

Old 10-21-2008, 09:46 AM

1,461 posts, read 2,858,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humanoid View Post
Can someone give one good argument as to why pot should not be legalized? I can't think of anything, the potential benefits as I see them are:

1.) Reduced speeding on law enforce related to pot. HUH?
2.) Tax revenue from growers and retailers which currently pay no taxes. You could also add additional taxes to retail sales much like the sale of tobacco products. And like current legislation to ban smoking and tobacco?
3.) Reduce drug related crime. why don't we make murder legal too so we can reduce murder related crimes as well
4.) Reduced the number of dangerous individuals coming into the country to smuggle drugs.
Xtasy still makes it in as well as coke. not to mention drugs like pot and meth are produced inside the us as well.

Old 10-21-2008, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevergoingback View Post
So my question is why is pot singled out?
That's honestly news to me. I thought other drugs were illegal (meth, crack, coccaine). Am I wrong? Is pot the only drug "singled out" as illegal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevergoingback View Post
The highest growth of abused drugs are in the prescription drug catagory. College campus' are wrought with them, where's the push to ban addirol?
Can't argue with you there. But as I understand it (and I could be wrong - I'm sure everyone will be glad to point that out! ) prescription drugs such as pain killers are "controlled" substances. Therefore, anyone found taking them without a prescription (or selling them, etc.) is subject to punitive measures. Is that wrong?

Old 10-21-2008, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humanoid View Post
The only valid concern people have raised in this thread is the possible increase in people driving under the influence of Marijuana. But I don't think this would increase much. The same people that would drive under the influence are the sort of people that would smoke Marijuana regardless of whether it was legal or not.
Not sure this is true. Things may level out over time, but I think (as we've discussed about this here at work) that there will be a spike in people using it the day after it was legalized. Then, people who are not used to it (or maybe have never used it before) will use it with unexpected results (like drinking and driving for the first time).

I think we'll see an initial spike in marijuana related deaths, but then the numbers will drop. I just hope anyone one of my family or friends is not the one killed by the "freedom" of someone who lives just to get high.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or