U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 03-05-2009, 07:51 PM
 
Location: Ohio
1,008 posts, read 640,029 times
Reputation: 250

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kb09 View Post
WRONG.

Look to the pharmaceuticals and you can find things that are a whole lot worse than tabacco and alcohol.

In regards to hurting a cardio workout and general physical fitness it is hard to beat alcohol and tobacco. How many marathon runners or competitive fighters do you know who chain-smoke and pound down the drinks all day?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-05-2009, 07:51 PM
 
3,088 posts, read 7,634,594 times
Reputation: 2024
I was listening to the radio one day and a DEA agent called in he stated the go after marijuana growers more then the meth labs, coke houses, etc because they are usually easier and will go down without a fight.


I can't think of any reason why it should be illegal. Dangerous? Have you seen how violent people get on alcohol? I have never seen some one get that way on pot. I have also never seen someone OD on it but I have seen people OD on alcohol. Gateway into the harder stuff? People usually start off with alcohol way before any other drug.

I just do not understand why we must fill our jails with people that had a few grams of pot no intent to sell but yet we let the drunks back out on the road or the streets to hurt people.


edit: oh and some are debating against the use of medical marijuana. Do you know how expensive and addictive those pills become when you are in pain, have cancer,etc?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-05-2009, 07:53 PM
 
Location: Ohio
1,008 posts, read 640,029 times
Reputation: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by nevergoingback View Post

That is extremely obvious, please go away from this thread and never come back. You have no personal experience which means you have very, very limited knowledge on the subject we are trying to debate here.

I do have experience in regards to seeing what marijuana did to my best pals back in high school. They smoked a lot of dope, did a lot of downers, drank a lot, frequently fell asleep in class, never went anywhere, never did anything, period. They spent most of their spare time sitting around smoking weed, never doing anything else. It was only natural we drifted apart after a while, but it was rather sad since they were the kids I grew up with, drugs took them away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-05-2009, 07:56 PM
 
1,245 posts, read 1,228,561 times
Reputation: 282
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioUberAlles View Post
I do have experience in regards to seeing what marijuana did to my best pals back in high school. They smoked a lot of dope, did a lot of downers, drank a lot, frequently fell asleep in class, never went anywhere, never did anything, period. They spent most of their spare time sitting around smoking weed, never doing anything else. It was only natural we drifted apart after a while, but it was rather sad since they were the kids I grew up with, drugs took them away.
Sounds like your friends were gonna be losers no matter what they did. You can blame the weed all you want, but theres a story the complete opposite of yours out there too about a successfull weed smoker so your argument is irrelevant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-05-2009, 08:05 PM
 
Location: Ohio
1,008 posts, read 640,029 times
Reputation: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickeldude View Post
Sounds like your friends were gonna be losers no matter what they did. You can blame the weed all you want, but theres a story the complete opposite of yours out there too about a successfull weed smoker so your argument is irrelevant.

I cannot say if marijuana has a direct and/or significant impact on motivation although I would assume it certainly does not help. It's primarily a CNS depressant, certainly not a stimulant.

Fundamentally it is their choice to become a bump on a log doing nothing but smoking marijuana, but who is going to pay for their weed, who is going to pay to feed them, and who is going to pay to house them? Assuming their parents don't want to carry them through life, who will? The same could be said for the alcoholic who prefers to spend his money on booze rather than shelter, food, clothing, etc. Not to mention some of these bums have children, who will pay for their kids when the bumps on logs just sit around doing what bumps do (nothing). However, my choice is to refrain from helping enable them. I don't want to pay their way through life. If they want to be a bump they can be a bump and they can starve to death while being a bump.

I'm not saying keep all drugs illegal, since that's not really my view, I'm just asking some hard questions. Are you okay with the idea of letting people starve in the street, along with letting their kids starve in the street, since they decided to spend their money on their drug use instead of their food and food for their family?

I'm perfectly fine with letting somebody starve to death under a bridge if they spent their money on drugs instead of food and shelter. As for their children, they are primarily the responsibility of their parents. It is not the job of tax-payers to assume the burden of responsibility for others due to the poor decisions of some.

I wonder how many chronic drug users are on government assistance programs. Perhaps instead the question should be, what percentage of people on government assistance are chronic drug users... Should the government subsidize their drug use? You can say the government gives them money for food/shelter, not for drugs, but you know every dollar they don't have to spend on food (because the government spends tax money for them) they immediately spend on drugs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-05-2009, 08:08 PM
 
Location: Nowhere
9,761 posts, read 2,963,449 times
Reputation: 2162
Dude.. I want to know your background before I invest any more time.. lol. You seem to be -out there-.. marijuana is not something you would go crazy over.. I would even say that you would see the problems that you are describing from alcoholics waaay before you would see them from any potheads.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-05-2009, 08:25 PM
 
Location: Ohio
1,008 posts, read 640,029 times
Reputation: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlaGrrrl View Post
Dude.. I want to know your background before I invest any more time.. lol. You seem to be -out there-.. marijuana is not something you would go crazy over.. I would even say that you would see the problems that you are describing from alcoholics waaay before you would see them from any potheads.

As I said, these guys were not just using marijuana; they were using various pills (downers), along with alcohol.

Do people just spontaneously wake up and decide to start taking downers? Or was it a natural progression from marijuana use to something more hardcore?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-05-2009, 08:29 PM
 
3,088 posts, read 7,634,594 times
Reputation: 2024
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioUberAlles View Post
As I said, these guys were not just using marijuana; they were using various pills (downers), along with alcohol.

Do people just spontaneously wake up and decide to start taking downers? Or was it a natural progression from marijuana use to something more hardcore?
Like I have said and others have probably said a million times in this thread I can guarantee he started with alcohol before he touched anything else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-05-2009, 08:30 PM
 
Location: Nowhere
9,761 posts, read 2,963,449 times
Reputation: 2162
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioUberAlles View Post
As I said, these guys were not just using marijuana; they were using various pills (downers), along with alcohol.

Do people just spontaneously wake up and decide to start taking downers? Or was it a natural progression from marijuana use to something more hardcore?

This is just my feeling but seems like if they were the type to abuse drugs.. it had nothing to do with using marijuana. Some people smoke marijuana occasionally and have an absolutely normal and healthy life. I think what you're seeing is a person who is trying to escape and is grabbing anything they can to do it... they could have easily stuffed their faces with Twinkies and Ding-dongs.. whatever. Just because these 'losers' used marijuana does not mean it caused their problems.. see what I'm sayin?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-05-2009, 08:31 PM
 
Location: Ohio
1,008 posts, read 640,029 times
Reputation: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitokenshi View Post
Like I have said and others have probably said a million times in this thread I can guarantee he started with alcohol before he touched anything else.

One friend did say he only started with tobacco due to marijuana. He said he was high and wanted to smoke but was out of weed at this point so he accepted a tobacco cigarette somebody offered him and that's how he started tobacco.

Wouldn't it have been rather easy for somebody to have offered him a line of coke and gotten him started on cocaine under such circumstances?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top