U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 10-21-2008, 10:41 AM
 
Location: Lake Norman, NC
7,068 posts, read 10,818,929 times
Reputation: 30340

Advertisements

I have to laugh at most of the anti legalization posts. They are stemming from hearsay or plain and simple ludicrous claims. (2 hits = a 12 pack? )

I don't smoke. Haven't smoked since high school, many years ago. But, I too think that MJ should be legalized and taxed.

You'd be surprised to see how many people do smoke weed today. I'm not talking about the guy working on Bay #1 at JiffyLube either. I know people in blue chip companies that handle big money accounts and contracts that like to take the recreational hit.

People need to take their head out of the sand and accept that MJ is here in abundance and is being used by many without the world coming to an end (as some predict with reveral of law). It's here now!

I personally think more damage is done with it being illegal than if it were made legal. Look at the influx of growers in the National Parks. These are heavily armed guys using our parks to grow their farms, not afraid to take out innocent people who interfere with their operations.

Let's benefit from MJ rather than destroy the lives of good people that get caught using it today.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-21-2008, 11:21 AM
 
Location: Montrose, CA
3,031 posts, read 7,862,833 times
Reputation: 1925
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rathagos View Post
Not sure this is true. Things may level out over time, but I think (as we've discussed about this here at work) that there will be a spike in people using it the day after it was legalized. Then, people who are not used to it (or maybe have never used it before) will use it with unexpected results (like drinking and driving for the first time).

I think we'll see an initial spike in marijuana related deaths, but then the numbers will drop. I just hope anyone one of my family or friends is not the one killed by the "freedom" of someone who lives just to get high.

I disagree. There would be laws against driving under the influence of marijuana even if it were legal. Of those who use it now, there would be no increase in the incidence of their driving under the influence. If they don't do it now, why would they do it later?

And for the people who are NOT using now because mj is illegal -- if they're willing to follow the law now in regard to not using mj, why would they be any less willing to follow the law of "dont' drive while stoned" if it WERE legalized?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-21-2008, 11:28 AM
 
Location: West Texas
2,441 posts, read 5,244,704 times
Reputation: 3090
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuSuSushi View Post
I disagree. There would be laws against driving under the influence of marijuana even if it were legal. Of those who use it now, there would be no increase in the incidence of their driving under the influence. If they don't do it now, why would they do it later?

And for the people who are NOT using now because mj is illegal -- if they're willing to follow the law now in regard to not using mj, why would they be any less willing to follow the law of "dont' drive while stoned" if it WERE legalized?
Can't answer you on this one, really.

What was it Patrick Henry (American Patriot) said: "I have no way of judging the future but by the past." I've seen what people have done with "legalized" alcohol (i.e. the lack of: restraint, moderation, and mature decisions). For some reason, I'm getting that people that smoke pot are so much better people than people that drink... if we ever do legalize pot *shudder*, I certainly hope this is the case.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-21-2008, 11:41 AM
 
Location: Montrose, CA
3,031 posts, read 7,862,833 times
Reputation: 1925
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rathagos View Post
Can't answer you on this one, really.

What was it Patrick Henry (American Patriot) said: "I have no way of judging the future but by the past." I've seen what people have done with "legalized" alcohol (i.e. the lack of: restraint, moderation, and mature decisions). For some reason, I'm getting that people that smoke pot are so much better people than people that drink... if we ever do legalize pot *shudder*, I certainly hope this is the case.
We're not saying they're "better". The recreational drug they choose to use has different effects than alcohol. A stoner KNOWS how stoned he is. A drunk -- not so much. A person can be so drunk as to not be able to get his key in the car door without trying several times, and yet still insist that he's not drunk and fine to drive.

Stoners though, are generally more careful if they DO drive while under the influence. They know damned well they're baked, and often the pot makes them paranoid enough about this that they are hyper-careful when they do drive under the influence.

I am not saying that it's okay to do so, far from it. All I'm saying is that given the choice, I'll take the stoner over the drunk any day, hands down. Especially if I have to choose which one is in the lane next to me on the highway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-21-2008, 12:35 PM
 
Location: Penobscot Bay, the best place in Maine!
1,891 posts, read 5,146,121 times
Reputation: 2627
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
For most people a couple hits is equal to a 12 pack of beer. Scary if driving.
That is one of the largest exaggerations I have heard. Unless you are comparing the most potent strains of pot against...say- O'Doul's.

Seriously, though- where did you come up with that comparison? I would say a more likely comparison would be a half joint to a beer. Smoke a whole one yourself, and it's like you've had 2 beers, not 100 beers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-21-2008, 12:43 PM
 
1,364 posts, read 2,548,627 times
Reputation: 808
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stripes17 View Post
I personally think more damage is done with it being illegal than if it were made legal. Look at the influx of growers in the National Parks. These are heavily armed guys using our parks to grow their farms, not afraid to take out innocent people who interfere with their operations.
Very much agreed. Here's a recent article on the damages being done. Legalizing it would stop things of this nature from happening.

Mexican marijuana cartels sully US forests, parks (http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/n/a/2008/10/09/state/n190508D53.DTL&hw=arming&sn=001&sc=1000 - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-21-2008, 12:57 PM
 
Location: West Texas
2,441 posts, read 5,244,704 times
Reputation: 3090
What's really sad is all this debate is so that you can get high. No other reason. No benefit, nothing. You want to get high, and screw everyone else. This is so sad if this is what our society has degraded to.

Go ahead.. puff away. No one is important but you and your need to get high.

So sad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-21-2008, 01:03 PM
 
1,364 posts, read 2,548,627 times
Reputation: 808
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rathagos View Post
What's really sad is all this debate is so that you can get high. No other reason. No benefit, nothing. You want to get high, and screw everyone else. This is so sad if this is what our society has degraded to.

Go ahead.. puff away. No one is important but you and your need to get high.

So sad.
Uh, have you read that I have stated I am not a pot smoker? I have seen many others in favor of legalizing it that don't smoke as well. We see the benefits that would arise from it becoming legal (have stated reasons already so not going to do it again). The benefits are large compared to the problems associated with it being legal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-21-2008, 01:06 PM
 
Location: Montrose, CA
3,031 posts, read 7,862,833 times
Reputation: 1925
Not a smoker either, and from what I've seen...potheads don't "need" to get high. That would imply addiction, and marijuana is not addictive. A stoner may want it, but they don't need it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-21-2008, 01:31 PM
 
Location: SW Missouri
15,527 posts, read 29,228,109 times
Reputation: 21263
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humanoid View Post
Can someone give one good argument as to why pot should not be legalized? I can't think of anything, the potential benefits as I see them are:

1.) Reduced speeding on law enforce related to pot.
2.) Tax revenue from growers and retailers which currently pay no taxes. You could also add additional taxes to retail sales much like the sale of tobacco products.
3.) Reduce drug related crime.
4.) Reduced the number of dangerous individuals coming into the country to smuggle drugs.
Back in the day I used to be against legalization because I feared that it would cause a general problem with apathy and dumbing down of the population as a whole. However, the country has become SO APATHETIC and SO DUMBED DOWN that I seriously doubt that legalizing pot could possibly make it any worse.

20yrsinBranson
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top