U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-27-2009, 05:08 PM

11,425 posts, read 16,665,134 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitokenshi View Post
The committee hearing to legalize.
Oh I see, thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2009, 09:41 PM

2,257 posts, read 1,722,866 times
Marijuana should be made legal, plain and simple. Alcohol is legal; alcohol is a far more damaging drug, both long-term and short-term. Alcohol causes liver failure and a host of other complications, both physical and psychological. Not only that, how many people are killed by drunk drivers here in the US? Answer: too many!

The only way you could die from pot smoking is if a ton of it fell on your head. As for your lungs, yeah...it's not good for you, but it's less harmful than nicotine / tar found in cigarettes (also legal).

Besides, how many "stoners" do you hear about going on rampages & beating people up for no reason?

Legalize it, tax it....at the very least, it would reduce the national/state deficits and would free up time of the police / courts to tackle REAL crimes.

Old 03-28-2009, 07:00 AM

617 posts, read 1,867,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ulnevrwalkalone View Post
Why is it everyone is always worrying about how we are going to arrest people?? High driving is nothing like drunk driving. When high all your senses are heightened and if anything, driving is overwhelming and you tend to drive more cautiously and slower than if you were sober. drunk is the other extreme where you don't care about anything nor how fast your going, thus we have mothers against drunk drivers not mothers against high drivers.
Granted, it's been decades since I smoked pot. My memory, though, is still pretty good. I recall two specific times when my friends and I came very close to a catastrophic car accident while high. We were all zoned out, music blasting, when we finally heard the other guys' horn blaring. One of those times I was driving, the other time a friend was. Both times we had somehow swayed over to the wrong side of the road, cruising at the speed limit toward another car. Luckily, we were on a straight stretch of road. Here in WV the roads are seldom straight. I can't even imagine what would have happened a few hundred yards farther along where the curves would have blocked the view till we were right up on the other car.

The point is, you don't know how pot will affect every person. Yes, I know people who become alert and work better when high. Most, though, zone out as my friends and I used to do. If a mind altering substance is going to be legal, there will have to be restrictions. One of those restrictions will have to be driving, whether it affects everyone the same or not. The point of those restrictions is to allow a person the freedom to smoke what they want as long as it does not endanger others.

Old 03-28-2009, 07:13 AM

8,807 posts, read 9,626,228 times
It would be more expensive

Old 03-28-2009, 07:29 AM

31,997 posts, read 17,271,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ulnevrwalkalone View Post
pot should be viewed in the same light as alcohol. There is not one argument against pot that could not be applied to alcohol. But there are arguments against alcohol that do not apply to pot, like violence. to reference bill hicks "nobody has ever gotten into a fight while high because it is f****** impossible". and its so true
Although I agree about the passivity of most smokers, taking bong hits and eating corn flakes at 2AM, unfortunately human nature has its rotten core.

I have talked to people who committed violent crimes after smoking weed. But that is more of a case of a violent criminal committing violent offenses regardless of whether he has any dope to smoke or not! Kind of like an idiot will always be an idiot with or without the weed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
Also, I don't think legalizing weed would be good for our fight against obesity and it would encourage even more lethargic behavior which seems to be very prevalent in our society. I think the number of people on welfare would go up.
I have to disagree, I think the welfare slouches are already on welfare and those who go on welfare because they want to sit around and take bong hits are ALREADY smoking weed! If a person wants to smoke dope, it is readily available.

P.S. My 420 days are long gone, but I have nothing against legalizing the weed. I do think the higher potent stuff available will hit the teens the hardest. There is some hard core stuff out there! I mean, I have read there are some potent buds out there.

Old 03-30-2009, 12:02 PM

857 posts, read 1,229,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbird4848 View Post
Although I agree about the passivity of most smokers, taking bong hits and eating corn flakes at 2AM, unfortunately human nature has its rotten core.

I have talked to people who committed violent crimes after smoking weed. But that is more of a case of a violent criminal committing violent offenses regardless of whether he has any dope to smoke or not! Kind of like an idiot will always be an idiot with or without the weed.
Well if they do it either way then it won't matter what the legal status of weed is so we should still try it. And I still would have to see evidence of 2 people being high and getting into a fight because I still think its impossible. I mean look at concerts, bands typically popular by pot smokers have a lot less violence at their concerts then say your average metal band where people tend to drink heavily. Mosh pits are more of a drinking man's game.

Old 04-03-2009, 09:30 PM

3,586 posts, read 5,344,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humanoid View Post
Can someone give one good argument as to why pot should not be legalized? I can't think of anything, the potential benefits as I see them are:

1.) Reduced speeding on law enforce related to pot.
2.) Tax revenue from growers and retailers which currently pay no taxes. You could also add additional taxes to retail sales much like the sale of tobacco products.
3.) Reduce drug related crime.
4.) Reduced the number of dangerous individuals coming into the country to smuggle drugs.
Yes, because inocent people are dieing by the hands of people who are under the influence.

Medical Marijuana Debate Forum - Death due to smoking pot then driving

If this is not a good reason then something is wrong with you.

Old 04-04-2009, 02:33 AM

1,245 posts, read 1,228,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shawn_2828 View Post
Yes, because inocent people are dieing by the hands of people who are under the influence.

Medical Marijuana Debate Forum - Death due to smoking pot then driving

If this is not a good reason then something is wrong with you.
You do realize that pot is illegal right now right? You haven't posted anything showing that legalizing pot would do anything harmful, so please try again and put some thought into it this time.

Old 04-04-2009, 09:20 AM

3,586 posts, read 5,344,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickeldude View Post
You do realize that pot is illegal right now right? You haven't posted anything showing that legalizing pot would do anything harmful, so please try again and put some thought into it this time.
Yes, I do and that is why I posted it. It should stay illegal.

Old 04-04-2009, 11:08 AM

3,911 posts, read 4,735,563 times
That is just failed logic, It has been hashed out soooooo many times on this thread. Start over and read the entire thread then get back to us.

So you are saying that we should ban automobiles as well, correct? They obviously kill alot more people than the drugs themselves.

Swimming pools and automobiles kill more kids in this country than anything, where's the push to ban them?

Ban cell phones while driving too because people who drive while talking or texting have been shown to be just as dangerous on the road than someone DUI. I know, they are working on it.

Ban Alcohol too, oh wait, already tried that, remind me how that one worked out?

Here's a good argument for keeping it illegal; How else are we going to lock up blacks and minorities at disproportionate rates than whites?

Last edited by nevergoingback; 04-04-2009 at 11:19 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or