Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-20-2009, 03:11 PM

9,762 posts, read 3,414,799 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ulnevrwalkalone View Post
1) this point was made before
2) as was previously stated you can grow your own tobacco too, but the bottom line is most consumers are lazy.

are you saying you only smoke weed because its cheaper than tobacco???
Happy 420
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2009, 03:15 PM

257 posts, read 619,136 times
You should join us in New Hampshire as part of New Hampshire Common Sense. We've been working to reduce the penalties on pot possession and use. Obviously, marijuana use is not a criminal matter and should not be treated as such.

Old 04-20-2009, 04:12 PM

13,621 posts, read 12,726,125 times
im still thinking and i can't find a single reason...

Old 04-20-2009, 05:06 PM

5,421 posts, read 6,500,690 times
Because the beer industry would lose money.

On the other hand, if Obama ever lets this go through, buy stock in Cheetos!

Old 04-20-2009, 05:11 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,320,493 times
Legalized, licensed sales of pot would make the experience bureaucratized and regulated and ho-hum. The idea of government-run marijuana stores, manned by uniformed clerks and featuring brightly-lit cases of various amounts and configuraitons of grass, open from 10:00 am to 4:00 except on Sundays, holidays, and even-numbered third Thursdays or whatever would be, to my mind, a huge turn-off.

Talk about co-opting the revolution. No thanks.

On the other hand, the prisons would not be filled with pot dealers who were ratted on by others plea-bargaining, and the government would be forced to stop harrassing pot smokers and go after the heroin traffickers.

So maybe decriminalization would be okay.

But please -- not legalized, government-issue pot.

At least not until I'm dead.

Old 04-21-2009, 12:57 AM

11,466 posts, read 19,345,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxcar Overkill View Post
On the other hand, if Obama ever lets this go through, buy stock in Cheetos!
Thats never going to happen, he laughed at the idea but cheetos sound good

Old 04-21-2009, 09:14 AM

3,089 posts, read 8,507,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roaddog View Post
Thats never going to happen, he laughed at the idea but cheetos sound good
good thing it's not up to obama!

Old 04-21-2009, 10:12 AM

857 posts, read 1,422,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
Talk about co-opting the revolution. No thanks.
I did not realize pot smoking was about something other than getting high.... but viva la revolution! cuz pot smokers really know how to get organized and get things done...

Quote:
On the other hand, the prisons would not be filled with pot dealers who were ratted on by others plea-bargaining, and the government would be forced to stop harrassing pot smokers and go after the heroin traffickers.
Less non-violent people in prison, focus on worse problems, sounds good to me

Quote:
But please -- not legalized, government-issue pot.
why would it be government-issued? If its legalized it would become a public commodity open for public businesses... It would not surprise me if cigarette companies were the first to get it out to market b/c they have almost everything they need already... I wonder if we can convince the tobacco lobbyists to work towards legalizing pot

Old 04-21-2009, 01:12 PM

3,493 posts, read 4,550,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humanoid View Post
Can someone give one good argument as to why pot should not be legalized? I can't think of anything, the potential benefits as I see them are:

1.) Reduced speeding on law enforce related to pot.
2.) Tax revenue from growers and retailers which currently pay no taxes. You could also add additional taxes to retail sales much like the sale of tobacco products.
3.) Reduce drug related crime.
4.) Reduced the number of dangerous individuals coming into the country to smuggle drugs.
I do not have a good argument why it should not be legalized because it goes against a big word, Freedom.

The list you provide I agree but the main reason to me, again, is Freedom.

You have a great day.
El Amigo

Old 04-22-2009, 08:12 AM

16,391 posts, read 30,917,838 times
What's so great about smoking something that just makes you stupid anyways? The only people who can't see how much better the mind is without pot are the people doped up in their fantasy world that the world is so much better when high or that you are "open minded". Cut the crap, it is nothing good
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates