Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-28-2009, 09:00 PM

6 posts, read 13,873 times

Advertisements

it should be legal to grow and use in my own home. It should be sold in stores to anyone over the age of 21 and the taxes would only benefit california's increasing deficit. It would eleviate the overcrowding and out of control incarceration system. I should also be able to transport small amounts; like from a gov regulated business to my home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2009, 07:24 PM

1,539 posts, read 3,191,282 times
Question stated by the OP requires a simple answer:

No.

Old 06-11-2009, 10:44 PM

6 posts, read 13,873 times
simple answer would be, yes.

There are a variety of reasons why cannabis should not be decriminaized:
-Pharmaceutical companies, politicians, and lobbyists wouldnt have an oligopoly on the world drug market.
-Pharmeceutical, cigarrette and alcohol lobbyists would be fired for not doing their jobs well enough.
-certain closed minded people would have to get over their preconcieved ideals about the drug.
-our country is democratic and some of the voters find progression in government to be scary or apocalyptic.
-cities would loose income from the loss of MIP's and possession tickets.
-kids may be told the truth about marijuana and may make rational decisions to either smoke or abstain, as opposed to just stamping abstainance and anti-drug propaganda into their minds and lumping it in with Meth and PCP.

+ really the people that will hurt most are the people in government. as well as competitors in the drug market.

yes and no answers dont always work akgirlinca, its usually a little of both.

Last edited by Kurtsea; 06-12-2009 at 12:13 AM..

Old 06-14-2009, 12:30 PM

1,668 posts, read 4,707,379 times
Pot is illegal because it fries your brain cells.

Old 06-14-2009, 12:43 PM

3,493 posts, read 4,553,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LizzySWW View Post
Pot is illegal because it fries your brain cells.
With that logic in mind alcohol does some pretty ugly things to the body? Do you want to ban it also?

Eating excessively is a big factor on getting diabetes, clogging your arteries with so much cholesterol, etc. Actually kids are starting to do get those problems, something that used to be an adult problem.

The point? Just about anything you ingest in excess can hurt you.

Smoking can also hurt your lungs. Do you want to ban people from smoking?

You have a great day.
El Amigo

Old 06-14-2009, 12:54 PM

258 posts, read 443,271 times
The reason marijuana is illegal is because it makes people not want to conform with the controling aspects of society with out question. William Randolph Hearst is the major reason it is illegal in the first place. Marijuana is no worse than cigarettes or alcohol or caffiene in that matter. The problem is that to many Americans still view marijuana as something bad due to the fact that the government has pumped so many lies about it for almost 3/4 of a century via the media. In fact marijuana is the only plant that you can not grow in the United States legally. You can grow oleander in your yard all you want, or pick mistletoe

http://ts4.images.live.com/images/thumbnail.aspx?q=965131312467&id=54c97cbf9d2366e34 ce3a02beb07ef42&url=http%3a%2f%2fwww.flowershopnet work.com%2fimages%2fnewsletter%2f2005%2fmistletoe_ lg.jpg (broken link)
both of which are deadly [SIZE=2]posiness. It is just the fact that you can use marijuana as a mild mind altering substance that to many people find recreational. Anything that the government which is controlled by the wealthy people of this country deems to affect your production capabilities will remain illegal. They want you to be focused on working as hard as you can, so that you can make them as much money as possible. Power and control of others has always been the main driving force in society. Look at Moses. How many men and women did he slaughter in the name of God. My opion is that anything used in moderation is ok. If someone abuses or becomes addicted to any substance whether it marijuana, alchohol, food, tobacco products then that is a issue. Problem is people are scared of other people in our society, and want to make everyone conformed to one standard. This is America, and if I want to move to Hawaii and become a beach bum that is my right. If I want to burn the candle at both ends and become weatlthy and rich that is my right also. But for others to tell me what my rights are and not I disagree with. My Great, great, great , great,great, great grandfather was Patrick Henry(Give me Liberty,or give me death) [SIZE=3]lib·er·ty[/SIZE] (lbr-t)
n. pl. lib·er·ties 1. a. The condition of being free from restriction or control.
b. The right and power to act, believe, or express oneself in a manner of one's own choosing.
c. The condition of being physically and legally free from confinement, servitude, or forced labor. See Synonyms at freedom.

2. Freedom from unjust or undue governmental control.
3. A right or immunity to engage in certain actions without control or interference: the liberties protected by the Bill of Rights.
4. a. A breach or overstepping of propriety or social convention. Often used in the plural.
b. A statement, attitude, or action not warranted by conditions or actualities: a historical novel that takes liberties with chronology.
c. An unwarranted risk; a chance: took foolish liberties on the ski slopes.

5. A period, usually short, during which a sailor is authorized to go ashore.

Idiom:
at liberty 1. Not in confinement or under constraint; free.
2. Not employed, occupied, or in use.

WE HAVE GIVEN UP MANY OF OUR LIBERTIES IN THIS COUNTRY OUT OF FEAR!!

Like Franklin Roosevelt said the only thing we have to FEAR IS FEAR ITSELF!!!!!!!!!!!!
[/SIZE]

Old 06-14-2009, 12:57 PM

3,536 posts, read 5,907,380 times
A broccoli only diet almost killed a woman. There is a substance that is produced all over the world that is the single largest killer in the world. This substance is known to kill brain cells, liver cells, skin cells, blood cells, etc. It preys on the young and elderly alike. It's oxygen. Now that this environment is highly oxydizing (as opposed to reducing), systems accelerate in entropy, thus die. Of course there is MUCH more to it than this, but it's a simple science joke.

Old 06-14-2009, 01:33 PM

898 posts, read 1,402,389 times
Should be up to the states to decide. The congress has not the authority to regulate such matters.

Old 06-14-2009, 11:48 PM

56 posts, read 263,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
Um, alcohol is legal...and they still spend law enforcement money on it.
$1800 a second worth?

Old 06-15-2009, 12:30 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,658,013 times
Too much, regardless--law enforcement is a bogus concept anyhow. Let people do what they want.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates