U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 06-15-2009, 06:34 AM
 
Location: Tennessee
33,981 posts, read 32,481,357 times
Reputation: 49976

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.J. MacReady View Post
You honestly need to do some research if you are comparing pot usage to the heavy drugs, theft, robbery, and murder. I don't smoke pot but feel it should be legalized. .
Just curious. Do you live in an apartment complex where cigarette smoke comes through the walls? What happens when dope smoke comes through the walls? What happens when you are sitting outside having lunch and people all around you are dope smokers?

Maybe if cigarette smoking was nipped in the bud before it started, farmers would be growing some other product, people wouldn't have become addicted and died of lung cancer, and the federal government wouldn't have had to pass a bazillion pain in the butt, intrusive and expensive laws to regulate and tax it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-28-2010, 03:22 PM
 
Location: STL
1,124 posts, read 3,162,678 times
Reputation: 569
WEED NEEDS TO BE LEGAL RIGHT NOW!! America should loosen up and be more liberal like Amsterdam in the Netherlands.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-28-2010, 06:25 PM
 
Location: Tujunga
421 posts, read 381,723 times
Reputation: 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humanoid View Post
Can someone give one good argument as to why pot should not be legalized? I can't think of anything, the potential benefits as I see them are:

1.) Reduced speeding on law enforce related to pot.
2.) Tax revenue from growers and retailers which currently pay no taxes. You could also add additional taxes to retail sales much like the sale of tobacco products.
3.) Reduce drug related crime.
4.) Reduced the number of dangerous individuals coming into the country to smuggle drugs.
Cannabis legalization will probably increase the use of a drug that will increase cancer rates, decrease productivity and increase mental illness.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-28-2010, 06:34 PM
 
Location: Sango, TN
24,889 posts, read 20,364,546 times
Reputation: 8606
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattos_12 View Post
Cannabis legalization will probably increase the use of a drug that will increase cancer rates, decrease productivity and increase mental illness.
WRONG

Decriminalizing Drugs in Portugal a Success, Says Report - TIME
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-28-2010, 07:40 PM
 
Location: Tujunga
421 posts, read 381,723 times
Reputation: 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Ok - so perhaps you might add some great clarity to your argument?

For example might you clarify where you disagree and why?

Might I clarify for your first:

In the UK, when Cannabis was decriminalize use increased, suggesting that legalization would also increase use. CA would also become a legal place to smoke Cannabis, surrounded by states where it is illegal, which suggest it would become a center of drug tourism.

Cannabis is often smoked, so increased used could cause increased cancer rates. It has been linked to increased mental health incidence, so an increase in mental health problems would be expected. It also tends to cause a degree of lethargy, so I'd suggest a reduction in productivity.

If you have one, then might you state your counter-argument?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-28-2010, 07:47 PM
 
Location: In a house
5,230 posts, read 7,336,664 times
Reputation: 2559
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Just curious. Do you live in an apartment complex where cigarette smoke comes through the walls? What happens when dope smoke comes through the walls? What happens when you are sitting outside having lunch and people all around you are dope smokers?
You can always move, thats what people did for a thousand tears before they got to lazy to put themselves in an environment they liked. Now its just easier to ban something some folks dont like.

Quote:
Maybe if cigarette smoking was nipped in the bud before it started, farmers would be growing some other product, people wouldn't have become addicted and died of lung cancer, and the federal government wouldn't have had to pass a bazillion pain in the butt, intrusive and expensive laws to regulate and tax it.
Actually without tobacco our country would be a far different & likely less advanced place. Tobacco & cotton built the early US economy. The govt doesn't have to pass laws & tax it. But they have become dependant upon the funds it generates & at the same time the population has become a bunch of whiny liberal crybabies who beg for regulation of everything they find inconvenient.

If nothing else they will soon legalize pot so they can tax it & recoup some of the revenue lost thru the war against tobacco.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-28-2010, 07:47 PM
 
Location: Sango, TN
24,889 posts, read 20,364,546 times
Reputation: 8606
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattos_12 View Post
Ok - so perhaps you might add some great clarity to your argument?

For example might you clarify where you disagree and why?

Might I clarify for your first:

In the UK, when Cannabis was decriminalize use increased, suggesting that legalization would also increase use. CA would also become a legal place to smoke Cannabis, surrounded by states where it is illegal, which suggest it would become a center of drug tourism.

Cannabis is often smoked, so increased used could cause increased cancer rates. It has been linked to increased mental health incidence, so an increase in mental health problems would be expected. It also tends to cause a degree of lethargy, so I'd suggest a reduction in productivity.

If you have one, then might you state your counter-argument?
1. The UK didn't decriminalize it.

They simply lowered it from a class A narcotic to a class B. This changed the penalty from a 5 year stay in prison, to a 2 year stay in prison.

2. If you read the link I posted, it will answer your questions.

Use didn't increase in Portugal by a significant amount. There is little to no evidence that cannabis increases cancer rates, and there are a plethora of uses that don't contain smoking of plant material, mainly cannabutter and vaporizing.

Lets look at alcohol prohibition effects in the United States, shall we?

Before the prohibition, alcohol usage was around 70% of the country, including children as young as 12 who were regular drinkers. After prohibition, the number dropped to around 10%. After prohibition was repealed, the number of American drinkers is still only around 40%, and alcohol is by far a considerably more dangerous drug than marijuana.

next argument?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-28-2010, 08:02 PM
 
Location: Tujunga
421 posts, read 381,723 times
Reputation: 143
"They simply lowered it from a class A narcotic to a class B. This changed the penalty from a 5 year stay in prison, to a 2 year stay in prison."

From B to C in fact, but that resulted in the police no longer arresting for precession for personal use, which effectively decriminalized it.

"There is little to no evidence that cannabis increases cancer rates"

Smoking anything increases cancer rate

"Lets look at alcohol prohibition effects in the United States, shall we?

Before the prohibition, alcohol usage was around 70% of the country, including children as young as 12 who were regular drinkers. After prohibition, the number dropped to around 10%. After prohibition was repealed, the number of American drinkers is still only around 40%, and alcohol is by far a considerably more dangerous drug than marijuana."

I have suggested that the declassification of Cannabis from b-c drug in the Uk let to an increase, you have cited Portugal and noted that there was an increase. So, you have two examples of Cannabis decriminalization where use increased, why try and draw comparisons with alcohol when you have data on Cannabis that proves your wrong?

I don't see the validity of comparison arguments, the question surly just needs to be asked in absolute terms
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-28-2010, 08:06 PM
 
Location: Sango, TN
24,889 posts, read 20,364,546 times
Reputation: 8606
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattos_12 View Post
"They simply lowered it from a class A narcotic to a class B. This changed the penalty from a 5 year stay in prison, to a 2 year stay in prison."

From B to C in fact, but that resulted in the police no longer arresting for precession for personal use, which effectively decriminalized it.

"There is little to no evidence that cannabis increases cancer rates"

Smoking anything increases cancer rate

"Lets look at alcohol prohibition effects in the United States, shall we?

Before the prohibition, alcohol usage was around 70% of the country, including children as young as 12 who were regular drinkers. After prohibition, the number dropped to around 10%. After prohibition was repealed, the number of American drinkers is still only around 40%, and alcohol is by far a considerably more dangerous drug than marijuana."

I have suggested that the declassification of Cannabis from b-c drug in the Uk let to an increase, you have cited Portugal and noted that there was an increase. So, you have two examples of Cannabis decriminalization where use increased, why try and draw comparisons with alcohol when you have data on Cannabis that proves your wrong?

I don't see the validity of comparison arguments, the question surly just needs to be asked in absolute terms
Pot Smoking Not Linked to Lung Cancer

Doesn't cause cancer, no link.

Class A to B was in 2003, the B to C was more recent, and, has lowered use.

Britain: Pot Use Down Dramatically Following Cannabis Reclassification - NORML
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-28-2010, 08:13 PM
 
19,081 posts, read 21,249,164 times
Reputation: 13392
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Pot Smoking Not Linked to Lung Cancer

Doesn't cause cancer, no link.

Class A to B was in 2003, the B to C was more recent, and, has lowered use.

Britain: Pot Use Down Dramatically Following Cannabis Reclassification - NORML
Well stated and well done with the use of citations. It would be great, for those of us reading the conversation, if you did the same, Mattos.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top