Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-21-2008, 05:47 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,649,845 times

Advertisements

Because, when people stay at home and use their drugs, it doesn't hurt anyone else. I don't have to partake.

But when people run around shooting at each other, I risk getting caught in someone else's crossfire.

Eliminate the dangerous and RISKY things to make life better for all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2008, 07:07 PM

95 posts, read 310,777 times
For starters the prohibition of marijuana came into effect under the false pretenses that marijuana was extremely dangerous, which today we know it is not. So it is a outdated law that seems to stick around due to religious influence in our government, as well as the corporate influence.

Old 10-21-2008, 07:47 PM

4,070 posts, read 5,605,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RLangben View Post
For starters the prohibition of marijuana came into effect under the false pretenses that marijuana was extremely dangerous, which today we know it is not. So it is a outdated law that seems to stick around due to religious influence in our government, as well as the corporate influence.
Also under the false pretenses that is was a "negro" drug and a "mexican" drug. I think it makes it alot worse when a drug was originally banned due to racial prejudice. Today "they" tell us its banned for health reasons, or to "protect" our youth.
Seriously it is the biggest load of crap I've ever heard.

Old 10-22-2008, 05:38 AM

967 posts, read 2,995,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rathagos View Post
... I can see that people who seem to be a proponent of individual rights without (or less) regard for society or the rights of a society as a whole (emphasis by HB) are the ones who think pot should be legalized.
Society has no "rights", only individuals possess them (ref: Blacks law Dictionary). Individual rights are what set the country apart when it was formed. The notion that a "regular" citizen was the King of his castle, was unheard of. Slowly, over the course of several hundred years, that's been eroded. We can no longer own property (stop paying your taxes, you'll find that the Government "owns", you only rent from them), and have ceded much of our responsibility corporate government. The right to choose what you do, or do not, do with your own body and life is the most fundamental right we still have. I can't imagine "FORCING" my way of life onto another; why do so many think it's OK to do just that?

For anyone interested, Michael Badnariks book Good to be the King is a great lesson on rights, privileges and the Constitution.

Old 10-22-2008, 07:01 AM

3,032 posts, read 8,919,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Well it seems that medical journals don't agree that its not harmful. On etoike addicts are liike one cigaette smokers or one drink alcohol drionkers. being fron the 60's genertion I ahve seen what it does to peoles lifes. Certianly I would rather be around a smoker ;sugar addict or a caffine addict than a pwerson on marijuana in a car or operating equipment especailly when they work. Its like being with a drunk plain and simple. They got the name pothead ro a reason.
Show me exactly where I said it wasn't harmful. I said it's not addictive.

Old 10-22-2008, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
I'm pretty sure pot is much more dangerous in the long run than alcohol.
Oh really? How 'bout these annual USA death statistics:

Tobacco 435,000
Poor Diet and Physical Inactivity 365,000
Alcohol 85,000
Microbial Agents 75,000
Toxic Agents 55,000
Motor Vehicle Crashes 26,347
Adverse Reactions to Prescription Drugs 32,000
Suicide 30,622
Incidents Involving Firearms 29,000
Homicide 20,308
Sexual Behaviors 20,000
All Illicit Drug Use, Direct and Indirect 17,000
Non-Steroidal Anti-Inflammatory Drugs Such As Aspirin 7,600
Marijuana 0

Source: Journal of the American Medical Association, Jan. 19, 2005, Vol. 293, No. 3, p. 298.)

Last edited by SuSuSushi; 10-22-2008 at 07:11 AM.. Reason: formatting problems

Old 10-22-2008, 07:09 AM

2,449 posts, read 5,949,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hinton Bound View Post
I can't imagine "FORCING" my way of life onto another; why do so many think it's OK to do just that?
When someone drinks at home, that's their business.
When someone gets drunk at home that's their business.
When they get into their car and start driving, that's EVERYONE's business.

John Wayne said it best: "Your right to swing your fist ends at the tip of my nose!"

Since you can't guarantee that people under the influence of marijuana (and I don't care what anyone says, that's impaired by definition) won't leave their house and endanger anyone else, why open that can of worms? And before the question gets asked AGAIN... yes, I would support the same thing against alcohol (and I have been drunk plenty in my past).

Don't we have more individual rights to discuss than for some drug wanna-be who wants to get high?

Old 10-22-2008, 07:10 AM

2,449 posts, read 5,949,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuSuSushi View Post
Oh really? How 'bout these statistics:

Source: Journal of the American Medical Association, Jan. 19, 2005, Vol. 293, No. 3, p. 298.)
What are these, SusuSushi? Deaths? Or death's caused by? They seem to speak pretty loudly.

Old 10-22-2008, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rathagos View Post
What are these, SusuSushi? Deaths? Or death's caused by? They seem to speak pretty loudly.
Sorry had a formatting error that I was correcting as you posted. Those are USA deaths caused by those factors.

Old 10-22-2008, 08:43 AM

5,501 posts, read 22,446,727 times
Nobody ever beat their wife or took a gun to school and murdered all their classmates from smoking pot. The government doesn't want to legalize pot. They'd rather the drug companies made a killing off drugs like Zoloft, Prozac, and Wellbutrin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates