U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-28-2011, 11:57 AM
 
Location: In a house
5,230 posts, read 7,322,321 times
Reputation: 2558

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Lune View Post

Weed can also be both physically and mentally addictive and can ruin many lives in many ways as well. I'm not saying that alcohol doesn't do that, but let's not try and say that smoking weed doesn't have any negative consequences. And people do drink moderately and not for the effect either (i.e.French people/High class eats).
Agreed, so if alcohol is legal so to should a substance that is no more & arguably less harmful.

Quote:
People can also drink enough to knock out before hitting that limitation. People can also assign DDs to watch over them so they are taken care of when under the influence. The effects of weed are less dangerous than alcohol, but does it mean that it should be legalized? There really are not enough studies upon the effects of MJ. Just because it's the lesser evil of the two, does this mean that we should legalize it? Bad enough that we have cigs running about in society. Do we really want another smoke-type habit to be introduced into our world and to our kids?
Introduced? My guess is people have been smoking weed long before they started making alcohol.
Yes, I firmly believe that if the effects of weed are less dangerous than another legal substance then we need to either legalize the weed or ban the booze. It seems a clear cut thing.

I'm not into worrying about what people put into their bodies & couldn't care less who smokes what. I'll try to raise my kids to be smart enough to not smoke cigarettes & pot or drink too much but thats about it.

Quote:
Spare me the lame attempt at trying to belittle me. Any clear thinking person would know to look at all sides of the arguments rather than bring fallicious statements or personal attacks into the debate. It seems to me that those who are for or against MJ are dead set in their arguments and fail to look at all the facts.
I'm not trying to belittle you, you already said you knew pot was less harmful to people & society. For some reason you just think it should still be illegal. A plant, that grows naturally.

Quote:
Fact: MJ can ruin lives.
Fact: MJ doesn't ruin lives.
Nobody said, least I didn't, that it cant ruin lives, or more correctly that people might ruin their lives with it. People ruin their lives with a million things.

Quote:
Fact: MJ is addictive.
Fact: MJ is not addictive.
I believe the fact is its not physically addictive, but I'm not a Dr. Anything can be mentally addictive.
And so on.

Quote:
And why shouldn't we bring the "hardcore" drugs into discussion then when discussing the legality of MJ? There are drugs that are naturally occuring as well that brings pain into the world. Opium is natural and look what it does. By the way, real alcohol is not manufactured. It occurs naturally. Look it up, under the name "wine". Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if they spiked weed with something extra.
Because Marijuana is not a hard core drug. I dont know much about opium but I believe its refined from a poppy plant, could be wrong but I dont think its just a pick & burn deal. But even if it is its an opiate, its very addictive. I dont know that I'd want it illegal but theres no doubt its more dangerous than weed, maybe even alcohol.

All alcohol is "REAL" alcohol & wine is a manufactured product. Its relatively simple to MANUFACTURE and its made useing natural processes but its still a manufactured substance bought & sold for intoxicateing effects. Its a joke when people try to say it has recreational users who dont get drunk but enjoy it in moderation. One drink has an effect, just one. Same as a guy who smokes one bong hit gets a buz. That one bong hit guy will say he just does one to relax at the end of the day just like the beer a day guy & the glass of wine a night guy etc.


But my real question is why? Why ban something even if it IS bad for people, as long as they are aware & still choose to take the risk our responsability is done. Its suposed to be a free country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-28-2011, 12:54 PM
 
Location: Pennsylvania
204 posts, read 165,264 times
Reputation: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humanoid View Post
Can someone give one good argument as to why pot should not be legalized? I can't think of anything, the potential benefits as I see them are:

1.) Reduced speeding on law enforce related to pot.
2.) Tax revenue from growers and retailers which currently pay no taxes. You could also add additional taxes to retail sales much like the sale of tobacco products.
3.) Reduce drug related crime.
4.) Reduced the number of dangerous individuals coming into the country to smuggle drugs.
Since you've given the option of providing either a single reason, or a good argument, I've opted for 'a good argument'. Realizing that under a liberal policy the primary question would be, should the government be empowered to legislate matters which pertain to the treatment of ones own body. The simple answer, except for life threatening circumstances, would be no. However, the 'personal space' argument is not applicable here.

As with Alcohol, Marijuana is a mind altering substance. The legal use of the product, for medicinal purposes, is regulated. Complete legalization of the drug, however, would not be as easy to control. Dosages and frequency of use would be strictly in the hands of the user. Because Marijuana affects judgment and perception, essentially distorting the user's current sense of reality, this altered mental state could easily lead to a behavior issue.

In a state of being 'high', the user runs the risk of affecting the lives of others, Driving, dating, socializing etc.., while under the influence of marijuana can cause the user to exhibit behavior not typical of his/her usual personality. With inhibitions cast aside, the individual may endanger their own life, as well as the lives of others.

A Time/CNN study reported that 1 in 25 deaths around the world are, in some way, related to alcohol. Adding another mind altering substance to the market begs the question, 'Why'? I've heard the argument which supports the belief that by removing the power from the criminal element, their organizations will be weakened. I believe that the heads of these drug trafficking cells would simply switch to the production, and sale, of another possibly more desirable, illegal substance. These are entrepreneurs who are not simply going to go out of business because of the legalization of one product. Personally, I believe the success of Marijuana sales on the underground market, is not due, exclusively, to the plans of criminal masterminds, but is, in addition, due to the cleverness of less than forthright politicians. As with the war on terror, the public is told what to believe regarding the drug war effort, and then because the information comes from the mouth of a government official, it must be true! After all, the government only has our interests at heart.

"The Love of Money is at the root of all evil", (bible quote), and I believe that if you dig deep enough, you'll find more than the usual bad guys benefiting from this lucrative market.

Last edited by Pennsylvanian1; 02-28-2011 at 01:24 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-28-2011, 12:57 PM
 
16,438 posts, read 18,519,594 times
Reputation: 9490
Yes, the reason pot is not legalized is because it would take the profit out of drug dealing. That's the reason all drugs are outlawed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-05-2011, 12:51 AM
 
Location: Sarasota, Florida
15,400 posts, read 19,047,141 times
Reputation: 11043
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humanoid View Post
Can someone give one good argument as to why pot should not be legalized? I can't think of anything, the potential benefits as I see them are:

1.) Reduced speeding on law enforce related to pot.
2.) Tax revenue from growers and retailers which currently pay no taxes. You could also add additional taxes to retail sales much like the sale of tobacco products.
3.) Reduce drug related crime.
4.) Reduced the number of dangerous individuals coming into the country to smuggle drugs.
I agree with you......plus it would weaken the Drug Cartels and many Terrorist Groups who profit from smuggling and selling marijuana.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-05-2011, 08:31 AM
 
Location: In a house
5,230 posts, read 7,322,321 times
Reputation: 2558
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennsylvanian1 View Post



A Time/CNN study reported that 1 in 25 deaths around the world are, in some way, related to alcohol. Adding another mind altering substance to the market begs the question, 'Why'

The problem is we shouldn't be asking "Why" something should be legal if its no dangerous or less dangerous than things that are legal.

We should have compelling reasons "Why" it should be illegal & reasons its worse & more harmful than similar things which are legal.

On another note we wouldn't be adding anything. Its already here. All we would be doing is acting rationally, something thats not done very frequently in our country any more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-08-2011, 10:18 PM
 
Location: NC, USA
7,088 posts, read 12,703,882 times
Reputation: 3975
Is there a single reason pot should not be legalized?


Well, people driving 15 mph on the freeway will get on a lot of other peoples nerves.

The price of munchies will triple.

Cotton mouth will become a recognized ailment.

And, of course, the most important reason is................Dang!!! What was I gonna say?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-09-2011, 02:25 AM
 
3,147 posts, read 2,813,857 times
Reputation: 1853
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennsylvanian1 View Post
Since you've given the option of providing either a single reason, or a good argument, I've opted for 'a good argument'. Realizing that under a liberal policy the primary question would be, should the government be empowered to legislate matters which pertain to the treatment of ones own body. The simple answer, except for life threatening circumstances, would be no. However, the 'personal space' argument is not applicable here.

As with Alcohol, Marijuana is a mind altering substance. The legal use of the product, for medicinal purposes, is regulated. Complete legalization of the drug, however, would not be as easy to control. Dosages and frequency of use would be strictly in the hands of the user. Because Marijuana affects judgment and perception, essentially distorting the user's current sense of reality, this altered mental state could easily lead to a behavior issue.

In a state of being 'high', the user runs the risk of affecting the lives of others, Driving, dating, socializing etc.., while under the influence of marijuana can cause the user to exhibit behavior not typical of his/her usual personality. With inhibitions cast aside, the individual may endanger their own life, as well as the lives of others.

A Time/CNN study reported that 1 in 25 deaths around the world are, in some way, related to alcohol. Adding another mind altering substance to the market begs the question, 'Why'? I've heard the argument which supports the belief that by removing the power from the criminal element, their organizations will be weakened. I believe that the heads of these drug trafficking cells would simply switch to the production, and sale, of another possibly more desirable, illegal substance. These are entrepreneurs who are not simply going to go out of business because of the legalization of one product. Personally, I believe the success of Marijuana sales on the underground market, is not due, exclusively, to the plans of criminal masterminds, but is, in addition, due to the cleverness of less than forthright politicians. As with the war on terror, the public is told what to believe regarding the drug war effort, and then because the information comes from the mouth of a government official, it must be true! After all, the government only has our interests at heart.

"The Love of Money is at the root of all evil", (bible quote), and I believe that if you dig deep enough, you'll find more than the usual bad guys benefiting from this lucrative market.
I assume by that argument that all mind altering drugs should be illegal, if not, why not?

Coffee, chocolate, alcohol, cigarettes, and even running all get you high in different ways... why should cannabis be illegal, but not the other socially accepted mind altering drugs/activities?

Yes, smoking cannabis can affect the people around you, but to a much, much lesser degree than other substances.

As for the drug dealers/cartels switching to another product, I find that doubtful. Just because cannabis becomes legalized does not make the market for other drugs expand, the customer base for other drugs is already well met. Taking cannabis away from their product line would hit them very hard, and due to the nature of supply and demand they would not be able to replace it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-09-2011, 05:36 AM
 
Location: Sango, TN
24,889 posts, read 20,314,353 times
Reputation: 8606
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty Rhodes View Post
Is there a single reason pot should not be legalized?


Well, people driving 15 mph on the freeway will get on a lot of other peoples nerves.

The price of munchies will triple.

Cotton mouth will become a recognized ailment.

And, of course, the most important reason is................Dang!!! What was I gonna say?
As a someone who regularly partakes in the cannabis plant, I strongly disagree with anyone driving while intoxicated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-09-2011, 06:43 AM
 
Location: A great city, by a Great Lake!
15,908 posts, read 9,647,655 times
Reputation: 7449
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
As a someone who regularly partakes in the cannabis plant, I strongly disagree with anyone driving while intoxicated.

I second that!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top