Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-17-2008, 05:15 PM

2,008 posts, read 3,325,405 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowDeDo View Post
1. Pot is more potent than ever before and thus, more addictive.
2. A 'Pot Dealer' is a more palatable term for an Illegal Drug Pusher who sells you an illegal drug for money and who practices psuedo-generostity by occassionally letting you try the latest 'stuff' for free. He becomes your friend just like Marijuana becomes.
3. I tried everything this world has to offer including Pot, sexual immorality, chasing after money, fancy vacations, status, prestige , and education...all of which can never fill the void of ones heart. That is reserved only for God to ultimately fill thru a real and dynamic personal relationship with him. The very purpose of our existence during this time in history.
4. There are many educated, influential , productive members of society who go the wrong road in life and if they do Pot it doesnt exhonorate them .

I leave you with a poem :

"What comes from many will never last,
its here today, tomorrow past.
What comes from God will always be,
the same for all eternity"

Allow the Creator a place in your life and you will have a Friend , forever. Thanks for the exchange. David.
Pot isn't any more potent than it was back in the day - there are actually strains from back then that would blow anything new out of the water but it got bred with something else or lost. Tobacco is addictive There is absolutely no disputing that one - none whatsoever. Pot, maybe, but I don't really think so - at least not to the degree that other things are.

I agree with Dan - You were looking for an answer. You would have found all that stuff without marijuana. and as far as god goes - I'm glad you found something that worked. But your solution isn't everyone's solution.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2008, 08:14 AM

133 posts, read 466,368 times
Not sure it has been posted yet but the reason pot is illegal is lobbying from the pharmaceutical industry. Recently they got the hands on an FDA report claiming that marijuana is not proven effective.

Drug companies have drugs that are not that effective for those that need marijuana treatment (Marinol - THC pills). If marijuana were illegal many drugs the drug companies push would not be prescribed. I imagine that the alcohol and tobacco industry lobbies against pot as well.

This is the real reason marijuana is illegal. Its all about the money!

Old 12-18-2008, 11:40 AM

jawny, That is a lot of the real reason behind it. The voices that condemn it know damn good and well that it isn't anywhere near as harmful as it is made out to be. Tobacco, alcohol and pharmaceutical companies do a lot to keep it illegal. But other companies lobby as much or even more. DuPont was a big roller in getting it illegal and I'm pretty sure it still is. Cannabis as a whole has many useful applications far beyond medicine. A plastic like resin can be made from hemp - this obviously threatens a lot of industrial applications. The uses of the plant beyond getting high is a huge list.

But you're right, it all boils down to the money. These people are perfectly happy sending hundreds of thousands of people through the system so they can make bank and let the taxpayers foot the bill - It's the perfect scam...

Old 12-18-2008, 12:32 PM

1,570 posts, read 2,068,217 times
I can think of a reason. Americans would abuse it even more if its legalized.

Old 12-19-2008, 02:12 PM

2,957 posts, read 7,381,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 60-minutes-II View Post
Can you think of why that is a good reason for prohibition?

Old 12-19-2008, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 60-minutes-II View Post
You mean like they abuse alcohol, fast food, pharmaceuticals, tobacco, high fructose corn syrup....? Americans abuse every single privilege, resource, system, ideal, institution and substance they can get their hands on. When a million people per year quit kicking off from McDonald's and tobacco this may be a good argument - until then, it's a double standard.

Old 12-19-2008, 04:33 PM

I find it very interesting that a great many people that stress personal responsibility and accountability, along with freedom and liberty are often the first to be proponents of something that puts otherwise innocent people in jail so a few corporate bigwigs and some judges can make bank all on the taxpayer dollar.

Old 12-20-2008, 03:24 AM

8,568 posts, read 16,227,664 times
For obvious health reasons I'm against legalizing pot, but if you wanna combat drug related crime I'm all for legalising soft drugs.
So far our coffee shops and smart shops in The Netherlands seem to work.
Quote:
*A smart shop (or smartshop) is a retail establishment that specializes in the sales of psychoactive substances, usually including psychedelics, as well as related literature and paraphernalia. The name derives from the so-called smart drugs, a class of drugs and food supplements intended to effect cognitive enhancements which is often on sale in smart shops.
Source: Smart shop - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 12-20-2008, 12:13 PM

659 posts, read 1,084,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky D View Post
For obvious health reasons I'm against legalizing pot, but if you wanna combat drug related crime I'm all for legalising soft drugs.
So far our coffee shops and smart shops in The Netherlands seem to work.
Only when smoking pot does it involve a health risk. If you vaporize, then everything that had to do with health risk just goes away. Wikipedia has a pretty good article on the positive and negative effects of pot.

Cannabis (drug) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 12-21-2008, 01:10 AM

8,568 posts, read 16,227,664 times
Originally Posted by kb09
Quote:
Only when smoking pot does it involve a health risk.
My concern for health risk is not the way the drug is consumed but the affect of the drug itself.
It is a fact that drug use increases the susceptibility to mental illness, especially if an ancestor already suffered from a mental illness.
So the problem becomes when people who suffer from a mental illness experiment with drugs as a form of self-medication.
Quote:
Drug use can also be perceived as a component or symptom of a psychiatric or personality disorder and as an attempt to self-medicate (e.g. Williams et al., 1990; Murray et al., 2003). The fact that substance use alleviates distressing symptoms encourages the development of addiction. Once the drug use is discontinued, e.g. through withdrawal or substitution treatment, the symptoms may reappear. Acute drug-induced psychoses occur particularly in users of cocaine, amphetamines and hallucinogens and usually subside relatively quickly. It may, however, be very difficult to differentiate between symptoms due to substance intoxication and unrelated psychotic episodes
Source: Aetiology
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates