Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-30-2009, 03:22 PM

2,521 posts, read 2,348,814 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
yes bek it is bad for you and robs you of your natural drive. being mellow does not work for the antalope outrunning a lion.
My sister had no natural drive as a teenager and wasted a lot of her immense talent, then she started smoking pot, figured out who she was and now has a master's degree and a job that pays twice the national average.

My best friend from High School smokes pot every day...he graduated from Yale and has worked at Google since before it went public. He's now worth over a million dollars and he's not even 30 yet.

My pot dealer is a pot dealer and he smokes every day. He started as a temp at one of the largest broker/dealers in the country just three years ago. Now he's the manager of a whole department that deals with the transfers of people's life savings. He's so good at his job that they fired his boss and didn't hire another person to work above him.

Lazy stoners are just lazy people who would find another excuse to be lazy without pot. They may become couch potatoes who eat all day, computer nerds who play Diablo II all day or alcoholics who drink all day, but they wont be successful regardless. Saying "pot makes you lazy" or "pot makes you stupid" just shows how ignorant you really are about pot.

This ignorance is the only reason why pot is still illegal. It costs us a TON of money to keep it illegal when legalization would mean billions in tax revenue and in the savings from ending a pointless prohibition. It's illegal, yet I can call any one of about 10 people on my cell-phone and have pot delivered to my door within an hour. Should it really be that available to kids? Well, making it illegal does exactly that. Should all that money be spent on the black market? Well, the black market shrinks the economy and hurts us all. Creating legitimate jobs, eliminating smuggling and moving pot from the hands of shady dealers into pharmacies or liquor stores can only help America.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2009, 04:15 AM

2,725 posts, read 5,979,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by that1guy View Post
I wish I had my old bong.
LOL loved that

Old 02-07-2009, 04:25 AM

I could only read about 1/12 of the posts, after that I wish I was "Stoned Again" and it appears to be a long......appears to be a long.....time.....coming .

Old 02-07-2009, 04:28 AM

[quote=dramamama6685;7096419]
Quote:
Originally Posted by nevergoingback View Post
Illegal Drugs

The majority of Americans are for decriminalizing Marijuana possesion.
I want my Police officers using their time to arrest violent offenders, not a pot smoker with a dime bag.

QUOTE]

Exactly. I don't want a pot smoker being kept in jail when that room could be used for violent offenders who often end up getting out too early.
Exactly !

Old 02-07-2009, 05:04 AM

700 posts, read 2,596,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
yes we have a country full of lazy attitude infested young people, don't make it worse they are 1/2 way to failuresville already.
Unless you are an Olympic athlete that won 8 gold medals in swimming!!

Old 02-07-2009, 05:18 AM

410 posts, read 515,088 times
the money the government would make off the marijuana if it were legalized is what bothers alot of people.

Old 02-07-2009, 06:48 AM

681 posts, read 2,877,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humanoid View Post
Can someone give one good argument as to why pot should not be legalized? I can't think of anything, the potential benefits as I see them are:

1.) Reduced speeding on law enforce related to pot.
2.) Tax revenue from growers and retailers which currently pay no taxes. You could also add additional taxes to retail sales much like the sale of tobacco products.
3.) Reduce drug related crime.
4.) Reduced the number of dangerous individuals coming into the country to smuggle drugs.
How about the fact that it is an intoxicating drug which has the possibility of intoxicating people who are not partaking in marijuana usage... unlike alcohol (another intoxicating drug which should be banned). At least someone who is drinking can only intoxicate himself. Someone who is smoking cigarettes is likely to offend anyone around him who doesn't smoke, but the smoke will not intoxicate people. Secondhand marijuana smoke has been known to cause a "contact high" for anyone who inhales it. There's a reason why being under the influence of marijuana is called "getting stoned". I've seen people stoned before, and it's a scary sight.

Marijuana should not be legal, and alcohol and cigarettes should be banned. Frankly, I think that all tobacco products should be banned... but if I don't have to smell them, I guess I can live with it. Nobody ever caused a death by being under the influence of nicotine.

Old 02-07-2009, 07:05 PM

13,621 posts, read 12,729,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humanoid View Post
Nowhere in my post did I suggest that pot didn't have health consequences. But so what? Eating too much fat will give you heart disease, eating too much sugar will give you diabetes, etc. Should we ban all of these things? We could put people in jail for eating ground beef with more than 5% fat!

There are numerous substances that if you take them in excess they will damage your body, yet they aren't banned. The fact that Marijuana when abused damages your body does not mean it should be banned, that applies to numerous things that you can find in your grocery store. When Marijuana is used moderately it does not have adverse health effects.

So, any good reasons to ban it? .

I said "reduce" not eliminate. It would reduce costs as the jails would not be filled with a bunch of people that were caught with marijuana yet committed no other crimes. You would no longer have to search for marijuana farmers in our national forests, etc. Billions would be saved and billions in taxes can be made by taking something that already happens in the mainstream were it can be regulated and taxed.
marijuana should be legallized!!! make it work for the country not against it..and now's a good time to start obama smokedpot in his youth and still became the president of the usa so it can't be that bad, alcohol is the king pin of all the gate way drugs!

Old 02-07-2009, 07:24 PM

13,621 posts, read 12,729,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
1. Saying you should legalize pot b/c other bad things are legal is not a very good argument. You see how many problems are already caused by the other bad things (smoking, alcohol, etc).

2. Legalizing it may send the wrong message to our kids...like it's ok to recreationally use strong mind-altering substances.

3. You can drink without getting drunk. No point in smoking out if you don't get high. And the lack of coordination/poor judgement lasts a lot longer than when you're drunk on alcohol.
thats total bs if u drink alcohol no mater how much it will get u high!!! drunk is just another word for getting high.. if u smoke just two bong hits a day whats wrong with that it's the same with alcohol two rum and cokes a day is the same thing two beers two scotch and water and so on so so on

Old 02-09-2009, 10:04 AM

2,521 posts, read 2,348,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWPAguy View Post
How about the fact that it is an intoxicating drug which has the possibility of intoxicating people who are not partaking in marijuana usage... unlike alcohol (another intoxicating drug which should be banned). At least someone who is drinking can only intoxicate himself. Someone who is smoking cigarettes is likely to offend anyone around him who doesn't smoke, but the smoke will not intoxicate people. Secondhand marijuana smoke has been known to cause a "contact high" for anyone who inhales it. There's a reason why being under the influence of marijuana is called "getting stoned". I've seen people stoned before, and it's a scary sight.

Marijuana should not be legal, and alcohol and cigarettes should be banned. Frankly, I think that all tobacco products should be banned... but if I don't have to smell them, I guess I can live with it. Nobody ever caused a death by being under the influence of nicotine.
Yeah, but MILLIONS have been killed by secondhand cigarette smoke.

This is a post that shows how ignorant a person can be. "I've seen stoned people before and it's a scary sight." Really? It's scary to see a group of strangers sitting at a dealer's house watching Family Guy and enjoying each other's company? It's scary to see someone eating a bag of doritos and still being hungry? It's scary to see a person enjoying the sound of music? Potheads may be a lot of things, but scary isn't one of them. The "fear of stoned people" was the same exact propaganda they used to make pot illegal in the first place.

But then again, this person is a puritan who thinks that the government should force us all to live the same boring life they live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates