Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-05-2010, 10:32 AM

19,697 posts, read 20,221,774 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
gyo

good point! lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2010, 01:21 PM

131 posts, read 113,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty Rhodes View Post
Is there a single reason pot should not be legalized?

It would essentially decriminalize a segment of our population and, as an after effect, the prison population would correspondingly plummet, as pothead arrests would plummet leading to a layoff of prison staff, and possibly Sheriff personnel thereby contributing to unemployment in our country. Sales of hostess cupcakes would skyrocket and a national munchie craze would sweep the land thereby increasing the prices of all sorts of junk food. We could also reasonably be sure that the speed limit would decrease since most pot smokers drive slower than the posted speed limit, but firmly believe they are flying down the road. Bottled water sales would also have a noticeable jump as cotton mouth would become nearly epidemic.
I object!

Old 12-05-2010, 04:13 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,320,493 times
Uh, what was the question again?

Old 12-06-2010, 01:30 AM

61,647 posts, read 87,001,838 times
Here you go:
The active ingredient in marijuana cuts tumor growth in common lung cancer in half and significantly reduces the ability of the cancer to spread, say researchers at Harvard University who tested the chemical in both lab and mouse studies.
The beauty of this study is that we are showing that a substance of abuse, if used prudently, may offer a new road to therapy against lung cancer," said Anju Preet, Ph.D., a researcher in the Division of Experimental Medicine.
For three weeks, researchers injected standard doses of THC into mice that had been implanted with human lung cancer cells, and found that tumors were reduced in size and weight by about 50 percent in treated animals compared to a control group. There was also about a 60 percent reduction in cancer lesions on the lungs in these mice as well as a significant reduction in protein markers associated with cancer progression, Preet says.
Marijuana Cuts Tumor Growth by 50%

Old 12-06-2010, 05:19 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,756,720 times
Reducing the virulence of Lung Cancer would devastate the medical and health insurance establishment because they would be fewer people to treat and less money to skim. No wonder the government just made "artificial" pot illegal.

Old 12-06-2010, 02:47 PM

15,896 posts, read 11,981,679 times
Quote:
You must be stoned. Most folks that don't like marijuana, don't like the factual nature that has been proven by non biased studies time and time again.

Instead, they choose to believe government propaganda that was published during the Nixon administration. No wait, those showed that pot was practically harmless also, Nixon just refused to read those parts.

Ain't that the truth Memphis! I think people against it have watched too much "Reefer Madness" LOL! It's been said a lot of people in law enforcement would lose money through legalization. I still say there are plenty of crimes out there to worry about than the silly weed charges! Then you have the big pharm companies. Is there a solution out there where it can be legalized and everyone can be happy? We all know or are finding out that it has good medicinal purposes as far as helping with pain, anxiety, and increasing appetite in cancer and AIDS patients. We also know about it's industrial uses to make clothing and paper. Just curious on if you were a politician, how you would try and implement a bill of legalization to ease the fear of others in these industries being hit in their wallet. Though I don't think either of them would lose money. I feel with prescription drugs, people will still have a choice on what they would want to take. Me personally, I'd take pot anyday over an addictive opiate, but that's just me. It's bad enough I'm hooked on nicotine, LOL!

Old 12-06-2010, 03:09 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,377,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
Ain't that the truth Memphis! I think people against it have watched too much "Reefer Madness" LOL! It's been said a lot of people in law enforcement would lose money through legalization. I still say there are plenty of crimes out there to worry about than the silly weed charges! Then you have the big pharm companies. Is there a solution out there where it can be legalized and everyone can be happy? We all know or are finding out that it has good medicinal purposes as far as helping with pain, anxiety, and increasing appetite in cancer and AIDS patients. We also know about it's industrial uses to make clothing and paper. Just curious on if you were a politician, how you would try and implement a bill of legalization to ease the fear of others in these industries being hit in their wallet. Though I don't think either of them would lose money. I feel with prescription drugs, people will still have a choice on what they would want to take. Me personally, I'd take pot anyday over an addictive opiate, but that's just me. It's bad enough I'm hooked on nicotine, LOL!
The only way I can think of would be to decriminalize possession and growth of no more than 5 plants per person who want to grow it.

Seeing as you can grow year round, you could have three plants ready to harvest, and two growing, and vice versa year round. That would make it so that you wouldn't have enough to sell, it'd keep kids from getting it at the store, and it would keep it off of the street and out of the hands of cartels. Then no one is making money on it, except through the sell of seed and growing materials.

Those without a place to grow could lease "grow rooms"

But that makes to much sense, so it would never happen.

Old 12-07-2010, 06:42 AM

Quote:
The only way I can think of would be to decriminalize possession and growth of no more than 5 plants per person who want to grow it.

Seeing as you can grow year round, you could have three plants ready to harvest, and two growing, and vice versa year round. That would make it so that you wouldn't have enough to sell, it'd keep kids from getting it at the store, and it would keep it off of the street and out of the hands of cartels. Then no one is making money on it, except through the sell of seed and growing materials.

Those without a place to grow could lease "grow rooms"

But that makes to much sense, so it would never happen.

In other words, and correct me if I'm wrong... it would be OK to possess, and grow for personal use, but not to sell it, right?

Old 12-07-2010, 08:49 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,377,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
In other words, and correct me if I'm wrong... it would be OK to possess, and grow for personal use, but not to sell it, right?
Yep, thats the skinny.

Old 12-07-2010, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Yep, thats the skinny.

That makes sense. I'd be OK with it. Though, I currently don't have the means to grow it indoors being in Ohio, and all... plus, I have cats, so that would also be an issue. But if it were legal, you better your a** that I would do it. However; what about distribution for medicinal purposes?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates