Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-05-2009, 08:35 PM

1,009 posts, read 874,848 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlaGrrrl View Post
This is just my feeling but seems like if they were the type to abuse drugs.. it had nothing to do with using marijuana. Some people smoke marijuana occasionally and have an absolutely normal and healthy life. I think what you're seeing is a person who is trying to escape and is grabbing anything they can to do it... they could have easily stuffed their faces with Twinkies and Ding-dongs.. whatever. Just because these 'losers' used marijuana does not mean it caused their problems.. see what I'm sayin?
I don't see how marijuana helped them in any way, shape, or form. I do see what you're saying. I don't want to tell you what substances to put into your body, but if and when things fall to heck, who is going to pick up the pieces? Who is going to pay for your medical treatment if/when you get hurt while using such substances (either OD- which doesn't seem likely with marijuana, but it is with other substances- or when you get into an accident), and who is going to pay your way through life if you become a bump on a log?

Okay, so maybe you're the sort of person who has two joints a month and is happy with that, but what about somebody who wants to smoke three joints a day and then perhaps winds up getting into cocaine or downers? Who is going to pay their way through life? These are issues you're going to be faced with. At some point or another, chronic drug users are going to fall to pieces, who is going to clean up the mess?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2009, 08:44 PM

9,762 posts, read 3,415,371 times
Ohio~I think you have a prejudice lurking somewhere in your background that is informing your opinions/distorting your view on this.. marijuana just like a glass of vino with dinner is not going to do anything to your life.. period. Your life will never fall a part if this is the path you choose to take.. in my opinion.. in my experience, etc. If you wanted to make the same case with chronic alcohol consumption (more than a glass of vino with dinner) or any other drug.. I would bite but not with marijuana.. it just does not have that kind of effect. If you see a person who is destroying their life it's not because of their relationship with marijuana.. it's because they are a destructive person.. period.

Old 03-06-2009, 03:21 PM

8,164 posts, read 15,140,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humanoid View Post
Can someone give one good argument as to why pot should not be legalized? I can't think of anything, the potential benefits as I see them are:

1.) Reduced speeding on law enforce related to pot.
2.) Tax revenue from growers and retailers which currently pay no taxes. You could also add additional taxes to retail sales much like the sale of tobacco products.
3.) Reduce drug related crime.
4.) Reduced the number of dangerous individuals coming into the country to smuggle drugs.
It would also create a TON of jobs because it could and is grown in the U.S The only thing that I would suggest is to put an age on it like cigarettes and alcohol(lets say 18).

Old 03-06-2009, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancet71 View Post
It would also create a TON of jobs because it could and is grown in the U.S The only thing that I would suggest is to put an age on it like cigarettes and alcohol(lets say 18).

Jobs for who? Illegal aliens...

Old 03-06-2009, 09:53 PM

292 posts, read 956,267 times
The violence- and dont tell me no one dies over weed- they do. Legal or not- the black market for it will always be there. Look at pills- theyre legal and people still buy them on the street. The only jobs youll create are jobs owned by an industry that already screws us every day- the pharmacutical industry.

Old 03-07-2009, 09:52 AM

4,070 posts, read 5,605,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcsmith0210 View Post
The violence- and dont tell me no one dies over weed- they do. Legal or not- the black market for it will always be there. Look at pills- theyre legal and people still buy them on the street. The only jobs youll create are jobs owned by an industry that already screws us every day- the pharmacutical industry.
You're overlooking the fact that a majority of pot users will grow their own. Which will shrink the black market substantially. Last time I checked you can't grow OC or hydrocodone.

The pharma ind is the largest proponent for keeping pot illegal, along with the Beer brewers. Do I have to explain why?

http://www.angryharry.com/esWaronDrugs.htm

Last edited by nevergoingback; 03-07-2009 at 10:01 AM..

Old 03-07-2009, 12:49 PM

240 posts, read 352,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioUberAlles View Post
I do have experience in regards to seeing what marijuana did to my best pals back in high school. They smoked a lot of dope, did a lot of downers, drank a lot, frequently fell asleep in class, never went anywhere, never did anything, period. They spent most of their spare time sitting around smoking weed, never doing anything else. It was only natural we drifted apart after a while, but it was rather sad since they were the kids I grew up with, drugs took them away.
Then your friends were lazy and unmotivated and they just used the weed as an excuse to be so, I know doctors that smoke weed. Next.

Old 03-07-2009, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fungame View Post
Then your friends were lazy and unmotivated and they just used the weed as an excuse to be so, I know doctors that smoke weed. Next.

How much do they smoke? Do they smoke a half-dozen joints per day? This is chicken/egg. Are people who smoke a half-dozen joints per day lazy because they smoke weed (particularly at that level), or are they smoking that much weed because they are lazy independent of it.

Old 03-07-2009, 12:54 PM

Quote:
One friend did say he only started with tobacco due to marijuana. He said he was high and wanted to smoke but was out of weed at this point so he accepted a tobacco cigarette somebody offered him and that's how he started tobacco.

Wouldn't it have been rather easy for somebody to have offered him a line of coke and gotten him started on cocaine under such circumstances?
LMAO Your friend is a little slow then. That is like saying "well I don't have a girlfriend but this female dog is kinda sorta similar, I mean they are both females...."

Old 03-07-2009, 12:57 PM

Quote:
How much do they smoke? Do they smoke a half-dozen joints per day? This is chicken/egg. Are people who smoke a half-dozen joints per day lazy because they smoke weed (particularly at that level), or are they smoking that much weed because they are lazy independent of it.
Probably because they are lazy and the just found something that is cheap and fun to do. I know plenty of people who are motivated and smoke that are successful, then again I know people who are lazy and smoke that are bums. It is the person.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates