Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-24-2009, 11:58 AM

659 posts, read 1,082,911 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftydan6 View Post
The problem is that the informed voters are outnumbered by the ignorant idiots who see one commercial and base their entire opinion on it...or even worse, just vote for the incumbent blindly like they do with Senators like with Strom Thurmond or Robert Byrd.

Pot is going to be semi-legalized like it was in the 70s, before Reagan took over and pushed it into the darkness again, but I am not sure if most Americans really want it legalized. The public opinion on pot smokers is still very negative.
So true; and the simple fact of the matter is that people don't want their view of pot smokers to be changed. It's simply easier and fits their purpose if the view of pot smokers remained the same. It gives them a scapegoat to go to when something goes wrong (and it's the same for the lazy bums who blame their problems on pot). They can always say something negative about pot, whilst thoroughly ignoring the hundred thousands (if not millions) of people that smoke or have smoked on a regular basis and turn out to be completely well rounded, educated productive citizens. Oh no, they can't even fathom that someone might have been successful while smoking (or high) on pot; no, that doesn't fit their little box cut recipe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2009, 08:46 PM

13,620 posts, read 12,707,557 times
i'm still thinking and can't think of a reason yet!!

Old 03-26-2009, 09:54 AM

857 posts, read 1,419,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kb09 View Post
So true; and the simple fact of the matter is that people don't want their view of pot smokers to be changed. It's simply easier and fits their purpose if the view of pot smokers remained the same. It gives them a scapegoat to go to when something goes wrong (and it's the same for the lazy bums who blame their problems on pot). They can always say something negative about pot, whilst thoroughly ignoring the hundred thousands (if not millions) of people that smoke or have smoked on a regular basis and turn out to be completely well rounded, educated productive citizens. Oh no, they can't even fathom that someone might have been successful while smoking (or high) on pot; no, that doesn't fit their little box cut recipe.
pot should be viewed in the same light as alcohol. There is not one argument against pot that could not be applied to alcohol. But there are arguments against alcohol that do not apply to pot, like violence. to reference bill hicks "nobody has ever gotten into a fight while high because it is f****** impossible". and its so true

Old 03-26-2009, 10:12 AM

617 posts, read 2,070,320 times
Although I do believe pot should be legalized and handled like alcohol, I do see one problem with it.

As far as I know, we don't have an adequate test to determine if someone is "under the influence" of pot as we do with alcohol, making laws against DUI involving pot difficult to enforce. Pot stays in the system longer than alcohol so someone could test positive even though they smoked the night before and slept it off.

I'm sure someone can find a way to test for recent use, but I haven't heard of that test being developed and available yet. (Someone correct me if I'm wrong) Once we have that, there's no reason to not legalize pot.

Old 03-26-2009, 10:49 AM

14,975 posts, read 16,428,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpy01 View Post
Although I do believe pot should be legalized and handled like alcohol, I do see one problem with it.

As far as I know, we don't have an adequate test to determine if someone is "under the influence" of pot as we do with alcohol, making laws against DUI involving pot difficult to enforce. Pot stays in the system longer than alcohol so someone could test positive even though they smoked the night before and slept it off.

I'm sure someone can find a way to test for recent use, but I haven't heard of that test being developed and available yet. (Someone correct me if I'm wrong) Once we have that, there's no reason to not legalize pot.
This is my thought as well. Before even thinking about legalizing pot, we need to figure this out.

Also, I don't think legalizing weed would be good for our fight against obesity and it would encourage even more lethargic behavior which seems to be very prevalent in our society. I think the number of people on welfare would go up.

Last edited by afoigrokerkok; 03-26-2009 at 11:46 AM..

Old 03-26-2009, 12:05 PM

Quote:

They probably have the methods to do so right now, but, legally speaking, you cannot test someone to tell if they are under the influence of a substance when the said substance is illegal.

And, we are not sure if pot impairs someone and if it doesn't; people react differently to it and for some they act as the normally would on pot. It is too much of a gap for variance to know right now; once it is legalized (or decriminalized) across the board, then it we will be able to do mass testings to see common side effects and such; right now, it is just hearsay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
Also, I don't think legalizing weed would be good for our fight against obesity and it would encourage even more lethargic behavior which seems to be very prevalent in our society. I think the number of people on welfare would go up.
Our fight against obesity can be solved simply; stop feeding the masses poison (commonly known as high fructose corn syrup and hydrogenated oils) and you won't have so many people that are obese; pot really has nothing to do with it. If we simply changed our eating habits (which, many aren't willing to do), then we wouldn't have so many people that are obese. I work in retail and cannot tell you how many people come through my line buying candy, soft drinks, donuts, and hydroxycut.

Again, more people than you'd think do not become lethargic will high (I actually had a friend that aced several test when he would smoke); that is a stereotype perpetuated from the times of Reefer Madness.

Old 03-26-2009, 01:26 PM

857 posts, read 1,419,571 times
Quote:

Why is it everyone is always worrying about how we are going to arrest people?? High driving is nothing like drunk driving. When high all your senses are heightened and if anything, driving is overwhelming and you tend to drive more cautiously and slower than if you were sober. drunk is the other extreme where you don't care about anything nor how fast your going, thus we have mothers against drunk drivers not mothers against high drivers.

Quote:
But it is possible to be fit/active and smoke weed, there is a fair number of professional athletes who have been caught using weed and they are in no way out of shape. I think those people who are fat and lethargic would still be fat and lethargic regardless of whether they smoke or not.

Though I could see obese people using it as another source of blame, "its not my fault I ate an entire large pizza by myself and cannot walk a mile yet alone run one, its because I smoke weed!" But this goes back to my whole point about obese people needed to be held responsible instead of blaming everything around them.

Last edited by ulnevrwalkalone; 03-26-2009 at 01:27 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 03-26-2009, 01:28 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,321,678 times
I'm thinking they would add a tracer that will disapate after so long, something that could be tested in the field. Although the feds have said they would not do raids here any longer yesterday it was announced by our Sherrif medical shops are illegal here and there be be none opening back up and that weed will only be legal through a doctors perscription and it will be enforced by local and federal police.

Old 03-26-2009, 02:18 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,428,898 times
The government could begin testing with a group of people to develop some means of determing level of intoxication by marijuana for DWI purposes and it could always legalize marijuana for that group only during the testing phase.

Old 03-26-2009, 02:36 PM

Quote:
The government could begin testing with a group of people to develop some means of determing level of intoxication by marijuana for DWI purposes and it could always legalize marijuana for that group only during the testing phase.

It's against the law to do so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates