Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2008, 07:52 PM

765 posts, read 1,902,896 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by leangk View Post
notice how i said natural selection also? meaning the strongest surviving? and you cant breed people like you do horses. two strong big parents doesnt guarentee a strong big child.
Neither does breeding a field horse with a champion guarentee another champion but through careful selection eventually you get one.. Same with slaves the were carefully chosen the strongest fastest then bred with the best featured child bearing woman.. Barbarous yes but in that time perfectly acceptable .

Old 10-22-2008, 10:59 PM

43,854 posts, read 50,862,909 times
Are African-Americans the Best Athletes?

Michael Phelps may disagree.

Old 10-22-2008, 11:58 PM

2,141 posts, read 7,842,425 times
Don't know the answer to this one, but I think many black youth excel in sports that don't cost much to participate in. Track and field, basketball, etc. Sports like baseball, figure skating, hockey, are expensive and anything that involves skating requires travel to ice rinks that in some parts of the country, are not plentiful. Height comes into play too. I'm Serbian and you've probably noticed many Serbs in the European leagues as well as the NBA. There are a lot of tall Serbian man so they naturally gravitate towards basketball when they're kids. I live in Chicago and see black boys playing pick up basketball games all of the time, even when it's in the 50's and kind of cold outside. When I drive in white neighborhoods, like the one I live in, I rarely see kids of the same age outside playing anything. They're either in organized sports at school or perhaps inside?

Old 10-23-2008, 12:16 AM

29 posts, read 89,988 times
the basis of genetics is true. at the elite level, genetics do play a part in determining who is better, of course coupled with all the same parameters like training, nutrition etc etc.

Old 10-23-2008, 02:42 PM

604 posts, read 1,836,681 times
black people have denser and different muscles than white peole
so they're amazing at sprinting but not good at longdistance
and their dense muscles are bad for swimming

Old 10-23-2008, 02:55 PM

5,032 posts, read 12,564,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicken.or.the.nugget View Post
black people have denser and different muscles than white peole
so they're amazing at sprinting but not good at longdistance
and their dense muscles are bad for swimming
Nearly all the world-class distance runners are from Kenya & look like Black folks to me!

Old 10-23-2008, 04:09 PM

604 posts, read 1,836,681 times
really? i dunno but i thought i remember seeing more whites (maybe just compared to sprinting when theres like 1 white lol). im definitley not an expert on muscles or long distanct runners but thats what i remember hearing too.

Old 10-23-2008, 04:25 PM

877 posts, read 2,070,272 times
I think it's a social difference. Do more champion basketball players come from high or low economic circumstances? Major football stars don't (generally) come from suburban schools, but inner city, or highly competitive schools.

In low economic areas there is more competition to be good. White kid A can go play basketball every day with his friends, but at home he is pressured to do good in school and get a cushy office job, not compete to play in the NBA. But in black, single-mother families, the "father figures" kids relate to are on the basketball court and football field. This leads to competition and stronger skill sets are developed. Especially since often times sports are seen as the "only way out" of the slums.

Different sets of social values. There are more blacks who are pressed to compete than whites, and so they develop better athletic skills.

I wonder what would happen if someone asked if white people are smarter because they occupy more positions as corporate CEOs.

Old 10-23-2008, 04:57 PM

609 posts, read 1,170,150 times
but yet agian. there is no explanation (excpet the extremely intelligent and most probably true explanation of a socio-economic push and pull factor) to explain then why all major weight lifters are white? if blacks are soo much stronger where are they all in this group..

also its important to mention that 99.999999999999% of african americans didnt come from the very first generation there. Does anyone know why they kept bringing soo many slaves in ships? because they kept dieing and the women couldnt or wouldnt have children. this means that probably only .00001 percent of blacks are descendant from the first 100 years and some bit after. yet again cutting down the time in which they had to become "bred with the best".

id really like to see some numbers but they probably dont exist. the fact is that slavery began just after 1607, and ended around 1865. thats only 258 years.

people, your confusing african americans, with africans. most runners are african its true (short distance), but the longer distance muscle abilities is a white trait (look at the bikers in the tour de france and crap liek that).

you could arguably say that the blacks were "bred" for power, although i disagree that 258 years is enough to make a considerable difference considering most of the slaves died and had to be replaced (and then even the stronger ones that passed on thier gnees one generation may have died out the next)

Old 10-23-2008, 06:52 PM

765 posts, read 1,902,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leangk View Post
but yet agian. there is no explanation (excpet the extremely intelligent and most probably true explanation of a socio-economic push and pull factor) to explain then why all major weight lifters are white? if blacks are soo much stronger where are they all in this group..

also its important to mention that 99.999999999999% of african americans didnt come from the very first generation there. Does anyone know why they kept bringing soo many slaves in ships? because they kept dieing and the women couldnt or wouldnt have children. this means that probably only .00001 percent of blacks are descendant from the first 100 years and some bit after. yet again cutting down the time in which they had to become "bred with the best".

id really like to see some numbers but they probably dont exist. the fact is that slavery began just after 1607, and ended around 1865. thats only 258 years.

people, your confusing african americans, with africans. most runners are african its true (short distance), but the longer distance muscle abilities is a white trait (look at the bikers in the tour de france and crap liek that).

you could arguably say that the blacks were "bred" for power, although i disagree that 258 years is enough to make a considerable difference considering most of the slaves died and had to be replaced (and then even the stronger ones that passed on thier gnees one generation may have died out the next)
Darwins cousin Sir Francis Galton did a study on slave breeding called Eugenics check it out ..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates