U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 10-23-2008, 09:04 PM
 
Location: The Netherlands
8,567 posts, read 14,520,600 times
Reputation: 1573

Advertisements

Originally Posted by leangk
Quote:
so, scientists are smart, most scientists are white
Since there are more coloured people I question this statement.
Your assumption that most scientists are white might not be a fact thus could be considered propaganda.
Besides not all scientists are smart, see the (white) Nazi scientist which is a contradictio in terminis.
Nazi scientists generally believed Eugenics because it fit nicely in their fascist ideals.

 
Old 10-23-2008, 09:18 PM
 
Location: Ottawa, Canada
609 posts, read 1,043,692 times
Reputation: 173
ok let me change this "the largest minority of scientists are white". better? [mod cut]

Last edited by katzenfreund; 10-24-2008 at 07:35 AM.. Reason: rude comments
 
Old 10-23-2008, 09:25 PM
 
Location: Ottawa, Canada
609 posts, read 1,043,692 times
Reputation: 173
no its not propaganda. its a FACT based on observed information and behavior you have exibited (your other posts)
 
Old 10-23-2008, 09:27 PM
 
Location: The Netherlands
8,567 posts, read 14,520,600 times
Reputation: 1573
Originally Posted by leangk
Quote:
its a FACT based on observed information and behavior you have exibited (your other posts)
Your personal opinion does not make it a fact.
 
Old 10-23-2008, 10:00 PM
 
479 posts, read 674,594 times
Reputation: 432
Quote:
Originally Posted by zman0 View Post
I wonder what would happen if someone asked if white people are smarter because they occupy more positions as corporate CEOs.
The book "The Bell Curve" states that Asians and Jews are the smartest. This seems to be born out by the enrollment at the top universities.
 
Old 10-23-2008, 10:25 PM
 
500 posts, read 943,159 times
Reputation: 321

YouTube - Bruce Lee vs Kareem Abdul Jabbar
 
Old 10-24-2008, 06:41 AM
 
Location: Aiken S.C
765 posts, read 1,681,247 times
Reputation: 388
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky D View Post
Originally Posted by leangk Your personal opinion does not make it a fact.
don't back him in a corner trick he'll have a tantrum.
 
Old 10-24-2008, 07:36 AM
 
878 posts, read 1,846,679 times
Reputation: 460
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark85 View Post
The book "The Bell Curve" states that Asians and Jews are the smartest. This seems to be born out by the enrollment at the top universities.
Again, I disagree with this premise. There may be a correlation, but that doesn't mean it's causal.

As ice cream consumption increases, the number of suicides decreases. Therefore, depressed people should eat more ice cream so they will be less suicidal.

The black/white sports/science is the same: forming an opinion based on a correlation.

How about this silly analogy: there are more white country music artists than there are black country music artists. Therefore, blacks are not good at creating country music.

Or: there are a disproportionate number of black fans of hip-hop. Therefore, blacks are racially conditioned to like hip-hop music.

Or: a disproportionate number of black children are born out of wedlock, therefore, black women are more fertile when they are unmarried.

Each of these conclusions is based on a correlation, but the conclusion is silly. The demographics of country music artists are social, not racial. The same holds true for professional athletes.
 
Old 10-24-2008, 08:29 AM
 
Location: PA -> Denver, CO
205 posts, read 721,363 times
Reputation: 57
There have been a lot of studies that show more genetic diversity among people living in Africa, and that European and Asian populations have more in common with each other than a lot of the historical African tribes do with each other.

With more genetic diversity, there are a lot more chances for differences that will make the some people stronger in some areas and weaker in others. But Kenya sure has a good Olympic running team. And, as state before, there is significant difference between the light and dark muscle (aerobic and anaerobic) in these runners, they make them predisposed to running.

African people - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
 
Old 10-24-2008, 08:31 AM
 
Location: Europe
160 posts, read 264,174 times
Reputation: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by leangk View Post
or even soccer players? the most famous ones are white, and even pele was spanish, not black, so dont even try it.
I hope you are kidding, aren't you? lol.
Though I agree that this is rather cultural/socio-economic thing than genetics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top