U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2008, 01:43 PM

8,567 posts, read 14,516,394 times

Advertisements

Originally Posted by leangk
Quote:
tricky, you cant even differntiate between an act of being selfish (as in the definition i gave).
I simply don't care about your definition.

Quote:
and your talking about economics now? this has nothing to do with this thread at all
Greenspan admits that being selfish is what created the economic crisis.
Since the topic is about being selfish it automatically involves the connection between greed and economics;
being selfish in economics = being greedy.
Which in the end is counterproductive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2008, 01:55 PM

25,107 posts, read 34,361,805 times
God, Family, Country.

These are the three (3) primary duties I have

I am "selfish" in my beliefs (religious) and I follow them

I am "selfish" in making sure that my family is provided for FIRST - that their needs are PROVIDED for FIRST. If there is something left over, then, I will assist others

I am "selfish" in the defense of my country - from those who would seek to destroy our nation - from within and from outside - and our way of life.

Yes - I guess I'm selfish

Old 10-26-2008, 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by Greatday
Quote:
God, Family, Country.

So you're implyin' that God is selfish?
If so:
1) Why would a selfish God sacrifice His son?
2) If God is the creator of life, doesn't this mean that all living things are family since they're created by the same creator?
3) Why would God choose 1 nation over the other if we're all family?

Old 10-26-2008, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky D View Post
So you're implyin' that God is selfish?
Re-read - and use some cognitive skills to comprehend - if you can

Old 10-26-2008, 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by Greatday
Quote:
Re-read - and use some cognitive skills to comprehend - if you can
LoL, can you?
I don't believe 1 bit that God is selfish or only takes care of 'His' own; Jesus already has proven this.
So God is not selfish simply because love transcends the ego.

Old 10-26-2008, 02:18 PM

Quote:
I don't believe 1 bit that God is selfish or only takes care of 'His' own; Jesus already has proven this.
God.

Family.

Country

My priorities

Old 10-26-2008, 08:32 PM

43,858 posts, read 43,564,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
God, Family, Country.

I am "selfish" in my beliefs (religious) and I follow them

I am "selfish" in making sure that my family is provided for FIRST - that their needs are PROVIDED for FIRST. If there is something left over, then, I will assist others

I am "selfish" in the defense of my country - from those who would seek to destroy our nation - from within and from outside - and our way of life.

I don't consider any of those things selfish. I think they are selfless. It is accepting a Godly authority and a sense of family and national duty above ones self. If everyone was like you....our county wouldn't be full of a bunch of spineless self centered individuals.

Old 10-26-2008, 11:59 PM

Originally Posted by GloryB
Quote:
If everyone was like you....our county wouldn't be full of a bunch of spineless self centered individuals.
HHMMMmm, would you consider the Nazis self-centred or selfless?
Because the Nazis, like most American patriots, believe in the family first doctrine and they claimed Germany (and their conquered territories) for Germans only.

Old 10-27-2008, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Because the Nazis, like most American patriots, believe in the family first doctrine and they claimed Germany (and their conquered territories) for Germans only.
Sorry but - that ...."argument" does not work for Americans have NEVER said that the United States is for "Americans" only. So, you proffered a false arguement -

And btw - family IS FIRST

Old 10-27-2008, 07:28 AM

609 posts, read 1,043,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GloryB HHMMMmm, would you consider the Nazis self-centred or selfless?
tricky, stop trying to propagate your "americans are as bad as the nazis" BS. its not true. America has welcomes a large amount of immigrants, alot of people just want them to come legally. i dont think thats too much to ask??

how many thousands of people does america have that they have no clue who they are??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates