U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2008, 04:46 PM

609 posts, read 1,044,004 times

Advertisements

I dont think so. the fact is that if you look, every action you do is selfish.

say you have two choices, go to a party or stay home and study for that test. of course the studying option is the more responsible one, but is going to the party any more "selfish"?

you stay at home to study so YOU can get a good mark and YOU can possibly go to college or university. if you go to the party it may be because YOU dont want to feel bad for letting your friends down or because YOU want to have fun.

so is any action you do not selfish?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2008, 05:27 PM

27,236 posts, read 40,294,119 times
Risking your life for another person?

I mean...you COULD die...

Old 10-23-2008, 05:30 PM

3,088 posts, read 4,546,364 times
I think you defining "selfish" incorrectly. If you are willing to share with those less fortunate than you are, in a totally anonymous way, that is an act that is both "unselfish", and that cause you to "feel good" about yourself, and your ability to do good in the world. All really "unselfish" acts will function in that way. If you give, and then feel regretful that you gave, you have not done an "unselfish" thing. . . I will go so far as to say that all unselfish acts create a win / win situation.

Old 10-23-2008, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cap1717 View Post
I think you defining "selfish" incorrectly. If you are willing to share with those less fortunate than you are, in a totally anonymous way, that is an act that is both "unselfish", and that cause you to "feel good" about yourself, and your ability to do good in the world. All really "unselfish" acts will function in that way. If you give, and then feel regretful that you gave, you have not done an "unselfish" thing. . . I will go so far as to say that all unselfish acts create a win / win situation.
yet again, you seem to think that "giving" is completely unselfish. people have argued that even mother theresa was selfish! by giving to the poor an such, do you feel good? of course you do? is that not selfish? why did you give? cause you feel bad? does giving relieve your "bad feeling"? is that not selfish?

Old 10-23-2008, 05:48 PM

27,236 posts, read 40,294,119 times
what if you don't do it because it makes you feel good? what if you do it to keep yourself from feeling bad?

anyway, you didn't address the suggestion I gave of a "selfless" act. There ARE people who will give their life for another. Probably not many, but they do exist.

Old 10-23-2008, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leangk View Post
yet again, you seem to think that "giving" is completely unselfish. people have argued that even mother theresa was selfish! by giving to the poor an such, do you feel good? of course you do? is that not selfish? why did you give? cause you feel bad? does giving relieve your "bad feeling"? is that not selfish?
I understand your dillema about giving = feeling good = selfish. All I can say is that this is not a mature view. As you grow in wisdom, you will realize that all beings are an essential part of you. Look at it this way, if all were, in fact part of one body, would it be "selfish" for your mouth to be "fed" by your hand. . . is it only your stomach that "feels good"? No, all systems work together for the health of the being, that is why it "feels good" to be truly unselfish. . . you are really nourishing yourself, and if there is only yourself, there is no "selfish". In order for "selfish" to exist there must be a you and an "other". . . .take a little time to study some of the concepts of quantum mechanics, string theory, etc. . . . very interesting.

Old 10-23-2008, 06:08 PM

Quote:
I understand your dillema about giving = feeling good = selfish. All I can say is that this is not a mature view. As you grow in wisdom, you will realize that all beings are an essential part of you. Look at it this way, if all were, in fact part of one body, would it be "selfish" for your mouth to be "fed" by your hand. . . is it only your stomach that "feels good"? No, all systems work together for the health of the being, that is why it "feels good" to be truly unselfish. . . you are really nourishing yourself, and if there is only yourself, there is no "selfish". In order for "selfish" to exist there must be a you and an "other". . . .take a little time to study some of the concepts of quantum mechanics, string theory, etc. . . . very interesting.
not a mature view? this is one of the subjects in advanced philosophy.... you obviously knwo more than them of course.

selfish to eat? no. its a must. you have to do that. indulging by eating expensive foods, yes selfish.

and i ahve studied that. have you seen the documentary "what the bleep down the rabbit hole?". it talks about that. yet again you are reffering to another scientific/philosophic theory. so to say that the selfish one is "immature", but yours isnt, is totally stupid

Old 10-23-2008, 06:12 PM

8,181 posts, read 16,166,929 times
From the example you gave, it's a different word all together.

It's responsible vs irresponsible.

Selfish is hogging the remote.

Old 10-23-2008, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leangk View Post
not a mature view? this is one of the subjects in advanced philosophy.... you obviously knwo more than them of course.

selfish to eat? no. its a must. you have to do that. indulging by eating expensive foods, yes selfish.

and i ahve studied that. have you seen the documentary "what the bleep down the rabbit hole?". it talks about that. yet again you are reffering to another scientific/philosophic theory. so to say that the selfish one is "immature", but yours isnt, is totally stupid
If you did not want 'discussion" on the subject, why did you post originally?

Old 10-23-2008, 06:15 PM

Quote:
If you did not want 'discussion" on the subject, why did you post originally?
i did want to discuss. but you saying my view isnt "mature" because you disagree, and then use your own philosophical/scientifical argument as "accepted" is stupid.

its not a quesiton of whether that view is mature or not, its just a philosophical theory. therefore it cant be "mature or immature". is the theoryof relativity "immature"? no. same for mine(it isnt even mine its actually debated by the philosophic community)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates