U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2008, 07:25 AM

3,790 posts, read 7,563,624 times

Advertisements

...will people start going back to their old gas-guzzling habits? My guess is yes. People never learn and that's why we make the same mistakes over and over.

BTW, OPEC is trying to put the screws to us. You can forget recession if gas goes back to $4+/gallon. We will be in a full-blown depression. Some say we are already there. OPEC is the reason why we need to find alternative sources and perfect them. Get the U.S. off the OPEC map and they dry up and go away forever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2008, 07:37 AM

5,119 posts, read 12,720,764 times
This country was built around the use of automobiles. There's really no way to change that at this late date. Mass transit only works well in citys--out in "suburbia", it's simply not practical. (The nearest bus stop to me is over a mile away)
We do need to find alternates to gas, but in the meantime, we need to be producing our own fuel. Eventually, other fuels will become available and easy to get. That's a problem, right now. There are buses and commercial vehicles that run on natural gas, so that's quite doable, but there's no place for the general public to "fill 'er up"! same with Hydrogen cells.
These changes will take time, but in the meantime, we need our own sources of gasoline.

Old 10-25-2008, 07:52 AM

7,893 posts, read 12,146,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb at sea View Post
This country was built around the use of automobiles. There's really no way to change that at this late date. Mass transit only works well in citys--out in "suburbia", it's simply not practical. (The nearest bus stop to me is over a mile away)
We do need to find alternates to gas, but in the meantime, we need to be producing our own fuel. Eventually, other fuels will become available and easy to get. That's a problem, right now. There are buses and commercial vehicles that run on natural gas, so that's quite doable, but there's no place for the general public to "fill 'er up"! same with Hydrogen cells.
These changes will take time, but in the meantime, we need our own sources of gasoline.
Yes. Gas is $2.30 something here at the cheapest stations. Demand will increase.
Drill baby drill, while working on developing the alternatives.

Old 10-25-2008, 08:26 PM

3,031 posts, read 7,865,223 times
Gas will only stay down until the election, you know. Also...if the USA quit buying oil from the middle east, they certainly would NOT "dry up and blow away". What we buy is far from a majority of what they sell, and they will always have plenty of customers.

Old 10-27-2008, 02:21 AM

2,653 posts, read 4,596,540 times
For the next 10-12 years we should tax gas to keep the price up over $3 a gallon then invest the proceeds in alternative fuel opportunities. New technologies, additional nukes & transmission lines to handle power generation for electric cars, NGV & other milegae improving technologies for commercial vehicles. Fund a manhattan project to break our oil addiction.

Let's not get lulled back to sleep on this again. If we do whenever we get put of this economic mess & demand returns, we'll be right back @$4+ a gallon.

Old 10-27-2008, 08:32 AM

5,273 posts, read 11,910,304 times
I've thought about this as well. I really want to see us more and more determined to high milage gas engines, alternative fuels, electric cars... I would even go so far to state I'd be in favor of legislation mandating some of these things as well as the proposed tax incentives proposed by both presidential candidates when people purchase such vehicles.

Whether we drill our own oil or not, we need to break our dependence on oil with regard to vehicles.

Old 10-27-2008, 03:04 PM

765 posts, read 1,680,876 times
Drilling is fine but we don't have the refineries to produce i may be wrong but i think i read somewhere it would take 10 years to refine any oil they are drilling for now.

Old 10-27-2008, 07:44 PM

5,319 posts, read 7,607,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuSuSushi View Post
Gas will only stay down until the election, you know. Also...if the USA quit buying oil from the middle east, they certainly would NOT "dry up and blow away". What we buy is far from a majority of what they sell, and they will always have plenty of customers.
You are absolutely correct.

The EXACT same thing happened in Oct 2006, before the mid-term elections.

Gas prices hit their lowest point of the year in the weeks immediately before the election.

And then right after the Nov 2006 election was over, gas prices started going back up.

Of course, nobody would ever admit politics was involved!

Old 10-27-2008, 08:30 PM

1,385 posts, read 2,680,364 times
No. The traveling season is over, there's no need for people to drive more.
Come thanksgiving, it's going to be a different story.

Old 10-30-2008, 10:21 AM

2,662 posts, read 5,137,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kentuckydad95 View Post
...will people start going back to their old gas-guzzling habits? My guess is yes. People never learn and that's why we make the same mistakes over and over.

BTW, OPEC is trying to put the screws to us. You can forget recession if gas goes back to $4+/gallon. We will be in a full-blown depression. Some say we are already there. OPEC is the reason why we need to find alternative sources and perfect them. Get the U.S. off the OPEC map and they dry up and go away forever.
Trust me, after the last surge in gas prices, I'm not burning gas indiscriminately as I did prior to that. It feels good again to spend $20 and have the needle go past the "F" again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates