Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2008, 03:00 AM

12,867 posts, read 14,854,418 times

Advertisements

"When we give government the power to make medical decisions for us, we, in essence, accept that the state owns our bodies." ~U.S. Representative Ron Paul.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2008, 02:00 PM

1,452 posts, read 3,177,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masonsdaughter View Post
I think the govenment should check out the universal health care in other countries, talk to the people who rely on it, identify the major problems, iron them out and set up a system for health care to be paid by taxes. One of the things they could do is pay for medical school with the student signing a contract to practice in a certain location at a certain salary for a specified length of time. It could also work like the school system, with everyone paying taxes to support the system yet free to pay for additional health care or go to a doctor that is not in the system if that is what they want. I am sure that there is a system out there that works. I do not want to see the medical system be regulated by the government, but as it stands there are a lot of people out there who cannot afford health care or insurance. I do not want anyone denied health care because they cannot pay for it and that is happening more and more. The rock and the hard place.
I like everything you posted!
I've just begun reading this important discussion so this (from another OP) may be posted elsewhere. But for those who asked, this link provides a concise description of what other countries are doing to effectively deal with health care. And, I DO wholeheartedly agree with another post that INSURANCE COMPANIES are the biggest obstacle to good health care. Medicare for seniors works so why not health care for all..

FRONTLINE: sick around the world: introduction | PBS

Old 11-13-2008, 02:13 PM

43,854 posts, read 50,875,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasandy View Post
"When we give government the power to make medical decisions for us, we, in essence, accept that the state owns our bodies." ~U.S. Representative Ron Paul.
I totally agree with Ron Paul on this issue (and many others). Americans have finally evolved into a nation of people who want everything given to them and all decisions made for them because they no longer have the unction to take care of themselves or take responsibility for their own choices.

They aren't the old time self sufficient strong Americans....they are a bunch of unruly selfish babies. (And of course....it is Bush's fault! )

Old 11-13-2008, 04:39 PM

3,486 posts, read 5,667,488 times
Quote:
Incidentally, that was exactly the position of the Supreme Court majority in Roe v. Wade. Evidently, Ron Paul makes an exception for pregnant women's bodies.

Old 11-13-2008, 09:47 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,056,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GloryB View Post
I totally agree with Ron Paul on this issue (and many others). Americans have finally evolved into a nation of people who want everything given to them and all decisions made for them because they no longer have the unction to take care of themselves or take responsibility for their own choices.

They aren't the old time self sufficient strong Americans....they are a bunch of unruly selfish babies. (And of course....it is Bush's fault! )
You prefer an Insurance weenie with a monetary interest in you receiving less care?

Old 11-14-2008, 06:26 AM

5,224 posts, read 4,984,815 times
Quote:
The funny thing that makes me go Is the fact that people who are against UHI think that decisions would be made by the government..LOL.

Right now you know who makes health care decisions, ultimately. A pencil pushing number analyst behind a desk at insurance company XYZ That's who! You think the Dr's are in control? You think YOu are in control? If you do, you're nieve.

Currently you are at the hands of an entity that cares only about profits, not people. If it doesn't suite their bottom line, then you are out of luck.

UHI is not about the gov't. It's not about the gov't giving anybody anything for free. (they already give medicaid to the poor for that!!). It's about having health care within EVERY American's reach so that NO ONE has to go sick, without meds or go bankrupt and be financially destroyed to be treated.

EVeryone needs to wake up and stop letting ridiculous fear rule their day. IT's irrational .. it's ridiculous.

Witht he unemployment rate climbing in this horrible economy a lot of people's eyes are going to be opened up to the true cost of their health insurance premium when they have to pay Cobra, which ,. btw, will get even worse if and when their cobra runs out and they shop for their own coverage.. that is if they can considering they are out of work . = the look on their face when they have to pay that monthly bill which can equal a mortgage payment for a family.

Old 11-15-2008, 05:58 AM

23,154 posts, read 26,047,330 times
[quote=SarahSal;6144516] Medicare for seniors works so why not health care for all..

Sure does!
That's why it costs my husband and I close to $11,000 out of pocket for our 'free' Medicare coverage in order to cover the real expenses.

Original Medicare (the 'free' part..Part A) only covers hospitalization and related costs.
Part B that deals with all other costs ,doctors, etc is almost $100 a month.It is not free.

Since neither of these covers drugs, you must buy private coverage for medications.
This one can really really hurt since there is a government mandated cap....this year $2600.
Most that can, will also buy a supplemental policy to pick up the shortages of coverage of both A & B.(in our case $365 a month)

Some things only sound good when you don't know the ins and outs.
Be careful what you wish for.

Old 12-03-2008, 11:05 AM

1 posts, read 1,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb at sea View Post
For those with no insurance, they are required to pay the full amount....and who can afford that? No one! If the PRICES were more reasonable, then more folks could pay for their care.
There's really no reason for a MRI to cost thousands of dollars! Or a pap smear to cost $200!
Get the prices under control, and more folks will be able to pay their bills, and the insurance companies could offer more affordable plans.
That's the thing though, the cost of the equipment is so high, that they have to charge a certain amount to be able to pay for it. The technology used to even take an MRI is expensive because of how advanced it is and then they have to store the information and it costs each time it is used. I know it's unfair, but it's neccessary. The pap smear on the other hand, I completely agree...that's just rediculous. But with the higher technology, the insurance companies should have to have a way to compensate. I mean, they already take more than they should from us, in my opinion, so why not help us out when we need it? Or so there's not a lot of companies going bankrupt, the government should at least have some sort of way for paying when those who can't afford it need it.

Old 12-03-2008, 12:00 PM

48,505 posts, read 96,496,294 times
If you like dealing with the IRS;going to the social seciriyt office or any other governamnt office ;you will love going un8versal heathcare.Peolle do nothign but complain about medicare and medicaid;are you kidding?

Old 12-03-2008, 02:20 PM

38 posts, read 51,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCMlover View Post
We already have universal health care for the elderly-its called Medicare. Of course the poor have Medicaid and the military and politicians have gov't provided healthcare. If we agree that these programs work more or less than why are so many convinced that the gov't couldn't run a program for the rest of us ? I think it all boils down to whether you think health care is a basic human need or a luxury. I'm a moderate Republican who believes in a basic safety net for society and that includes healthcare. I believe in paying my fair share of taxes as my thanks to being born in the USA.
If we as tax payers can give the Goverment Officals their great medical coverage, Why can't that work for us also? Same kind of coverage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates