Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2008, 01:40 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,261,360 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TristansMommy View Post
Don't agree.. 21 year olds can barely be responsible.. 18 year olds!! OH NO!!! BIG Mistake.. keep the age where it is. IT works JUST fine.
Yet, as another poster showed, we allow 18 year olds to do a whole lot of "other things", including carrying a weapon and go to war.

Why not let them drink as well? If they are responsible enough to go to war - IMO, they are responsible enough to have a drink

Old 10-27-2008, 02:03 PM

609 posts, read 1,174,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Yet, as another poster showed, we allow 18 year olds to do a whole lot of "other things", including carrying a weapon and go to war.

Why not let them drink as well? If they are responsible enough to go to war - IMO, they are responsible enough to have a drink
some people zill never understand greatday. we can vote; drive and go to war! but not one drink? some people are so stuck on the " teenagers with thier loud rap music and mtv" that they cant see past it

Old 10-27-2008, 02:22 PM

1,590 posts, read 4,575,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelEyez02403 View Post
Well, if the main concern is only drinking and driving, why don't we all have cars w/breathalysers in them?
No kidding!

I have seen many a 50 year old get into their car drunk!

Drinking and driving is bad, age does not change that!

Having grown up in a no drinking age country (Denmark) my experience is that drinking should be alowed at 18 and driving under the influence should be PUNISHED with:P
3 Weeks in jail the first time and no driving for 1 year
3 Months in Jail the second time no driving for 3 years
1 year in prison the third time! no driving for 5 years!

Anything beyond that...2 years in jail and NO MORE DRIVING

Should the person after the third time be found driving..I think it is time to put them in jail and through away the key!

Old 10-27-2008, 02:27 PM

5,224 posts, read 5,012,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by S6Sputnik View Post
No kidding!

I have seen many a 50 year old get into their car drunk!

Drinking and driving is bad, age does not change that!

Having grown up in a no drinking age country (Denmark) my experience is that drinking should be alowed at 18 and driving under the influence should be PUNISHED with:P
3 Weeks in jail the first time and no driving for 1 year
3 Months in Jail the second time no driving for 3 years
1 year in prison the third time! no driving for 5 years!

Anything beyond that...2 years in jail and NO MORE DRIVING

Should the person after the third time be found driving..I think it is time to put them in jail and through away the key!
My post was meant to go beyond what happens with drinking and driving. Where I used to live and recently moved from they have something called the wall of shame.. where all those people in Nassau County pulled over and arrested for DUI get their name and photo published in the paper and on the papers website.. very effective I'd say.

But.. I remember when I was 18 and would go out clubbing. YOu had 18 and over clubs and 21 and over clubs and then 25 and older clubs. Of course in the 18 and over clubs you mostly had underage (under 21) hanging out and yes.. getting drinks. It was complete chaos and how they behaved was insane. 21 and over establishments were much better without much incidents and the 25 and over establishments were even better.

BTW.. don't neccesarily agree with an 18 year old being able to go off to war... too young if you ask me! Same thing with owning a gun.

NOpe.. keep the age 21! It's about alot more than drinking and driving.

Old 10-27-2008, 03:15 PM

877 posts, read 2,077,373 times
Quote:
But.. I remember when I was 18 and would go out clubbing. YOu had 18 and over clubs and 21 and over clubs and then 25 and older clubs. Of course in the 18 and over clubs you mostly had underage (under 21) hanging out and yes.. getting drinks. It was complete chaos and how they behaved was insane. 21 and over establishments were much better without much incidents and the 25 and over establishments were even better.
What did they do at the 25+ clubs? Rent cars and run for Congress?

Old 10-27-2008, 03:40 PM

5,224 posts, read 5,012,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zman0 View Post
What did they do at the 25+ clubs? Rent cars and run for Congress?
Not exactly sure what you are trying to get at with your post!

The point is.. the more mature the crowd in age, the better equipped they are to handle their drinking.. not drink themselves to the point of oblivion or in excess.. this isn't true individually.. but as a group it is.

They raised the drinking age to 21 for a reason.. I hated it when I was 18,19 and 20 but I understood it!

Old 10-27-2008, 04:17 PM

6,853 posts, read 22,459,078 times
I think it should be lowered. I think, young people drink more when its "against law" for them to drink.
The more we shelter our children from things they are not allowed to have, the more they will want that illegal thing and will rebel. But if we exposed them to things like alcohol at a younger age, they will not abuse it when them become of age. Because its nothing new to them.

And I have to say its the argument that we all know, if they can serve in the Military, if they are old enough to be in the Military at 18, why can't they drink at 18?

Old 10-27-2008, 04:22 PM

1,667 posts, read 9,382,489 times
Responsibility is the factor. Some 18-yr. old people can go to war, but not all of them. I agree with the 21-yr minimum, but for civilians. Anyone with a military ID should be able to drink, even at 17. They are a select few who have proven responsibility and character. They should be rewarded with certain unique priviliges.

Old 10-27-2008, 05:48 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,261,360 times
Quote:
BTW.. don't neccesarily agree with an 18 year old being able to go off to war... too young if you ask me! Same thing with owning a gun.
Let's have a reality check TM: While you might not "agree" with an 18 year old being able to go off to war, they do. And, it is not going to change.

And, in most, if not all states, an 18 year old is considered an "adult" for all other legal purposes - except the consumption of alcohol.

An 18 year old can marry without parental consent - yet, they cannot have a champagne toast - does that seem correct?

They can legally contract to purchase a home - and obtain the necessary financing - but cannot toast their new home.

Reduce the drinking age.

Old 10-27-2008, 05:57 PM

926 posts, read 2,747,845 times
hhhmmm...Im not sure how I feel about this. I started drinking freshman year of high school with my friends at parties. Im not an alcoholic today but it would have made things alot worse if the drinking age was lowered (we knew tons of 18 year olds but not many 21 year olds) BUT in college you had to be 18 to get into the bars and sometimes I felt what was the point in going if everyone was drinking but me? I was a foreign exchange student in Spain and the drinking age was 18 there and I guess because even at 14 they serve wine with dinner it wasnt a big deal so I guess it depends on the area. Im going to say keep it at 21- make them have to work for it like i did lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates