U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-03-2009, 09:11 AM

13,624 posts, read 10,697,085 times

Advertisements

hmmmm in the case of the military i think it should be 18.. it's totally not fare that all the troops that are 21 or older can drink but all the troops below 21 can't ...if they can send you over to iraq and get your head blown off..... i think you should be able to partake and swill down a few greenies at age 18 ....your life is at the same risk as all the other troops..

Old 03-03-2009, 10:38 AM

40,057 posts, read 29,713,783 times
Aren't there states where people are allowed to drive well under the age of 18? So why set 18 as a standard for voting...or drinking...or signing legal documents...or anything else? If someone is immature at the age of 15, how do we know he or she will suddenly turn into a rational, intelligent adult on their 18th birthday (if at all?)

Yes, I realize this isn't the best of all possible arguments to make. But I can't stay around to discuss it with you--my "sarcasm alert" alarm has begun ringing.

Old 03-03-2009, 10:55 AM

14,969 posts, read 13,763,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
Aren't there states where people are allowed to drive well under the age of 18? So why set 18 as a standard for voting...or drinking...or signing legal documents...or anything else? If someone is immature at the age of 15, how do we know he or she will suddenly turn into a rational, intelligent adult on their 18th birthday (if at all?)

Yes, I realize this isn't the best of all possible arguments to make. But I can't stay around to discuss it with you--my "sarcasm alert" alarm has begun ringing.
Every state has a driving age lower than 18. I have a HUGE problem with the idea of giving EVERY legal right and responsibility to kids at one time. I prefer the idea of a system where different rights/responsibilites are given at different ages. Growing up doesn't happen in the one minute from 11:59 PM-12:00 AM on the child's 18th birthday. It simply doesn't. It starts before 18 and ends after 18.

Old 03-03-2009, 10:58 AM

2,766 posts, read 8,840,570 times
no it shouldn't be lowered.
The rate of 15-18 year old driving deaths are higher then other age groups already, NO add alcohol to it and see how they skyrocket.

If anything i think they should raise it closer to 23 or 24 that way you are out of college and "hard partying"

Old 03-03-2009, 11:34 AM

857 posts, read 1,228,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
Maybe we should simply do more to enforce the 21 drinking age and keep kids under 21 from drinking. We'll never eliminate it...but we could reduce it a lot if we took more strict measures.

Let's increase the alcohol taxes the way we've done with cigarettes...tha'll reduce problem drinking/excessive drinking in ALL age groups but probably more so among teenagers who don't have very much money.

Let's also implement alcohol and drug testing for ALL high school and college students.

Let's also require ankle bracelets to detect alcohol use for ANYONE who is convicted of underage drinking.

Let's implement laws to make parents responsible for underage drinking in their homes and offer rewards to anyone who reports underage drinking parties to the police.

Let's do A LOT more compliance checks in stores/restaurants/bars...not just checking the people who work there but also other customers to see if they will buy for someone underage.
Is this a serious post ??? Increased enforcement does nothing but push drinking father underground, anybody ever hear of prohibition?

Taxing it will simply make poor people poorer, not stop under age drinking. I knew plenty of underage kids who had way more disposabe income than a lot of adults.

Is there a drug test that detects alcohol in peoples system if they have not drank in the past 24-48 hours?

ankle bracelets that detect alcohol, this sounds cheap and easily produced, should be no problem making one for every kid who drank underage as well as get people to monitor it.

Alright lets get our neighbors to spy on each others kids and get our neighbors into trouble with the police! All so they can get some sort of reward, AWESOME!

The last one I have no problem with b/c it wont do anything to stop underage drinking.

Old 03-03-2009, 02:43 PM

3,196 posts, read 4,716,018 times
Maybe we should just leave it alone. We've screwed up enough in our attempts to legislate morality, that we need to give it a rest.

Old 03-03-2009, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ulnevrwalkalone View Post
Is this a serious post ??? Increased enforcement does nothing but push drinking father underground, anybody ever hear of prohibition?

Taxing it will simply make poor people poorer, not stop under age drinking. I knew plenty of underage kids who had way more disposabe income than a lot of adults.

Is there a drug test that detects alcohol in peoples system if they have not drank in the past 24-48 hours?

ankle bracelets that detect alcohol, this sounds cheap and easily produced, should be no problem making one for every kid who drank underage as well as get people to monitor it.

Alright lets get our neighbors to spy on each others kids and get our neighbors into trouble with the police! All so they can get some sort of reward, AWESOME!

The last one I have no problem with b/c it wont do anything to stop underage drinking.
It's very serious. And some urine and saliva tests can detect alcohol for about 5 days. Let's give random tests on Mondays at high schools and colleges.

Old 03-03-2009, 05:50 PM

Alcohol Monitoring Systems

This is the SCRAM system...it's very expensive. Not "cheap and easily produced." It costs something like $5-$15 a day. Having to wear one for 6 months to a year AND PAY FOR IT with automatic jail time if they get caught drinking while wearing it...maybe that'll reduce underage drinking.

As far as the college drinking situation...if a student under 21 fails one of their random urine/saliva tests for alcohol, they could be REMOVED from the college altogether. Again...a pretty big incentive.

Old 03-03-2009, 08:36 PM

2,506 posts, read 7,611,958 times
Quote:
It's very serious. And some urine and saliva tests can detect alcohol for about 5 days. Let's give random tests on Mondays at high schools and colleges.
...based on what? The hunch that somebody has drank? Those kids weren't using their civil rights anyways. Good one, Orwell.

Old 03-03-2009, 08:38 PM

2,506 posts, read 7,611,958 times
Quote:
Every state has a driving age lower than 18. I have a HUGE problem with the idea of giving EVERY legal right and responsibility to kids at one time. I prefer the idea of a system where different rights/responsibilites are given at different ages. Growing up doesn't happen in the one minute from 11:59 PM-12:00 AM on the child's 18th birthday. It simply doesn't. It starts before 18 and ends after 18.
As far as the government is concerned, it should be. That is why it is the job of parents to prepare their children for adulthood before they turn 18.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or