U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-08-2009, 09:23 PM

14,969 posts, read 13,774,961 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcashley View Post
I think nobody should be given the freedom to drink until they are into their 20's. 21 is the absolute minimum. Its not because I dislike teenagers and young adults--on the contrary, it is precisely because I want to see ALL of them become happy, productive members of our society.
I agree, as I have made clear, that the drinking age should not be lowered. I feel the same way about wanting them to become happy, productive members of society. I don't want them to become alcoholics, to become rapists or rape victims, or to end up in the ICU or dead after a DWI accident...as I have seen examples of myself.

Old 03-08-2009, 10:03 PM

1,245 posts, read 1,229,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
I agree, as I have made clear, that the drinking age should not be lowered. I feel the same way about wanting them to become happy, productive members of society. I don't want them to become alcoholics, to become rapists or rape victims, or to end up in the ICU or dead after a DWI accident...as I have seen examples of myself.
So you don't want to lower the drinking age because you want to prevent what is happening now...

I'd say if someone graduates from highschool, they should be allowed to drink, otherwise wait until you're 21. At the same time I've been getting into bars since I was 16 and don't see anything wrong with it if you're not stupid.

Old 03-08-2009, 10:12 PM

3,196 posts, read 4,719,479 times
Quote:

um....how long have you been dead? (LOL)

Old 03-09-2009, 07:00 AM

8,221 posts, read 10,955,532 times
perhaps we need to raise the age of the others. I do find it inconsistent we will allow someone to die for their country but they can't take a drink. for that they should be afforded all the rights.

Old 03-09-2009, 07:22 AM

Quote:
[/b]

um....how long have you been dead? (LOL)
None of that happened to me. I meant I've seen people who have had those things happen.

Old 03-09-2009, 04:49 PM

3,196 posts, read 4,719,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickeldude View Post
So you don't want to lower the drinking age because you want to prevent what is happening now...

I'd say if someone graduates from highschool, they should be allowed to drink, otherwise wait until you're 21. At the same time I've been getting into bars since I was 16 and don't see anything wrong with it if you're not stupid.

I'm enough of a realist to know that "what's happening now" can't be prevented. However, it is realistic to be able to use the law to reduce the incidence rate. If you've been getting into bars since you were 16 and do not recognize the negative impacts that drinking has on teenage judgement, then I am guessing that you are no older than 17 now. If that is the case, your life experiences are too limited to understand the implications of what is being discussed.

Old 03-09-2009, 08:05 PM

Quote:
I'm enough of a realist to know that "what's happening now" can't be prevented. However, it is realistic to be able to use the law to reduce the incidence rate. If you've been getting into bars since you were 16 and do not recognize the negative impacts that drinking has on teenage judgement, then I am guessing that you are no older than 17 now. If that is the case, your life experiences are too limited to understand the implications of what is being discussed.
Naw I'm 22.

You know what affects a teenager's life too? Dying. An 18 year old can sign up to be in the military, where it is their job to put their life on the line. But we don't want to let them get buzzed, that would destroy America.

Old 03-09-2009, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickeldude View Post
Naw I'm 22.

You know what affects a teenager's life too? Dying. An 18 year old can sign up to be in the military, where it is their job to put their life on the line. But we don't want to let them get buzzed, that would destroy America.
I've said that I think the military age should be 21 as well.

If you're 22...why don't you think back to yourself at 18 and yourself today? I bet you'll see that you did a lot of growing up in those years.

As far as where you quoted me saying I want to prevent things from happening that are already happening now, lowering the drinking age will not make the situation better. It will only make it worse. The last thing we need to see is even MORE of those incidents.

While some of my suggestions for increased enforcement may be a bit too much, I think some of the more reasonable ones should be implemented. Increasing the chance of getting caught is the key to reducing underage drinking (or any crime). That plus education should help to reduce (but I admit not eliminate) teenage drinking and the laundry list of issues that go along with it.

Old 03-09-2009, 11:23 PM

Quote:
I've said that I think the military age should be 21 as well.

If you're 22...why don't you think back to yourself at 18 and yourself today? I bet you'll see that you did a lot of growing up in those years.

As far as where you quoted me saying I want to prevent things from happening that are already happening now, lowering the drinking age will not make the situation better. It will only make it worse. The last thing we need to see is even MORE of those incidents.

While some of my suggestions for increased enforcement may be a bit too much, I think some of the more reasonable ones should be implemented. Increasing the chance of getting caught is the key to reducing underage drinking (or any crime). That plus education should help to reduce (but I admit not eliminate) teenage drinking and the laundry list of issues that go along with it.
Haha you think the military would be ok with raising the age limit? Thats NEVER going to happen, I'm trying to think realistically.

Yes I've grown a lot since I was 18, and I'm going to grow even more later on, whats your point? Being able to buy alcohol really isn't that bad. Look if someone wants to drink, no matter what their age is, they are going to be able to.

Trying to stamp out the alcohol related problems in America with tough love obviously doesn't work, we should rather try to treat the problem at the source. Take away the allure from alcohol and show it for what it really is, just a drug. By 18 I knew that there were certain kinds of foods I shouldn't eat too much of, and how to have safe sex, and nearly all of the responsible choices I make today. Make alcohol awareness a mandatory class in highschool, that would be way more effective than the "or else" strategy we've been using so far.

Lowering the age to 18 would also help us get out of this recession

Old 03-10-2009, 12:25 AM

16,886 posts, read 12,549,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ButterflyUK View Post
Its 18 here in the UK and its a real mess. Drink culture is out of control. I think 21 is a much better age, now that I have seen both sides, and I dont think the age limit should be lowered. 18 yr old are really not responsible enough. You dont realize this until you have grown up enough to look back and see.

old enough to fight and die for your country at age 18, old enough to drink beer and alchohol at age 18 as well.

there are lots of people over the age of 30 I do not think should be drinking either, but they are old enough. self responsibility is a huge right, and it is something that both the state and federal goverments should stay the hell out of.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or