U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-13-2009, 06:44 PM

3,088 posts, read 7,634,594 times

Advertisements

Lower the age because I am so tired of 18-20 yr old's talking about how "f'd up" they are going to get during the weekend. It's funny how when you are 21+ the more your drinking begins to taper off. They drink because it's illegal and cool. If it was legal we would not see as many horrible incidents in terms of crime,etc with that crowd.

Legal drinking age - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 03-13-2009, 06:46 PM

14,969 posts, read 13,763,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitokenshi View Post
Lower the age because I am so tired of 18-20 yr old's talking about how "f'd up" they are going to get during the weekend. It's funny how when you are 21+ the more your drinking begins to taper off. They drink because it's illegal and cool. If it was legal we would not see as many horrible incidents in terms of crime,etc with that crowd.

Legal drinking age - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I wouldn't trust wikipedia as a source.

And they don't drink because it's illegal and cool...Europe and Wisconsin prove that quite well. They drink because drinking helps them be even more immature and THAT's what's cool...not so much the fact that it's illegal.

Old 03-13-2009, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcashley View Post
Kids can be tried for adult crimes at 14....does this make them adults?
Kids can drive a car at 16...does this make them adults?
Kids can have sex with older people at 18...does this make them adults?
Kids can enter contracts or the military at 18...does this make them adults?
Kids can vote at 18...does this make them adults?
Kids can drink and gamble at 21...does this make them adults?
Kids can NOT remain on their parent's health insurance after age 24...does this make them adults?

Maturing into adults is a process. It doesn't happen at an "age." Generally speaking, most people are adults by age 25. Most perhaps by 21. Many by 18. None by 14.
My point exactly.

Old 03-13-2009, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
I wouldn't trust wikipedia as a source.

And they don't drink because it's illegal and cool...Europe and Wisconsin prove that quite well. They drink because drinking helps them be even more immature and THAT's what's cool...not so much the fact that it's illegal.
Here you go:
Legal Drinking Age

Oh wait I am guessing a university is not credible source either

What about Wisconsin? The links you posted had nothing to do with the 18-20 crowd

What about Europe?

Old 03-13-2009, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Here you go:
Legal Drinking Age

Oh wait I am guessing a university is not credible source either

What about Wisconsin? The links you posted had nothing to do with the 18-20 crowd

What about Europe?
In Wisconsin, kids are allowed into bars and allowed to be served as long as their parents are there at any age. I read an article about 12 and 13 year olds being served. Wisconsin has the #1 alcohol problem in the country according to several studies.

Hence, making it less taboo does not result in a decline in underage drinking, binge drinking, drunk driving, etc.

And I've seen that exact same study before....there are endless other studies that contradict it.

Old 03-13-2009, 06:59 PM

55,237 posts, read 72,402,860 times
not enough drunk teenagers on the road, well oaky doaky.

Old 03-13-2009, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
In Wisconsin, kids are allowed into bars and allowed to be served as long as their parents are there at any age. I read an article about 12 and 13 year olds being served. Wisconsin has the #1 alcohol problem in the country according to several studies.

Hence, making it less taboo does not result in a decline in underage drinking, binge drinking, drunk driving, etc.
Where is your evidence pointing to the fact that lowering the drinking age has NOT declined binge drinking,drunk driving, etc.

Old 03-13-2009, 07:25 PM

In all honesty I am kind of on the fence about it on one hand I think lower it the 18-20 crowd drinks the most out of any age group it seems so tax the hell out of them. Prohibition doesn't work education does just look at the wonders it has done with tobacco.

On the other hand like you said "Look at Europe". Yea look at Europe and every country outside of that continent they have public transportation. We do not only in certain areas hence why we have high DUI rates compared to other countries. A lot of countries also has strict weapon laws hence why we have a higher rate of alcohol related violence compared to other countries.

So.... make this a state issue.

Old 03-13-2009, 08:39 PM

Quote:
In all honesty I am kind of on the fence about it on one hand I think lower it the 18-20 crowd drinks the most out of any age group it seems so tax the hell out of them. Prohibition doesn't work education does just look at the wonders it has done with tobacco.

On the other hand like you said "Look at Europe". Yea look at Europe and every country outside of that continent they have public transportation. We do not only in certain areas hence why we have high DUI rates compared to other countries. A lot of countries also has strict weapon laws hence why we have a higher rate of alcohol related violence compared to other countries.

So.... make this a state issue.
Yes I agree that Europe is not a valid comparison for a multitude of reasons. But what I meant is that they have binge drinking problem there too....which they do. It's not like introducing kids to alcohol at an early age like they do in Europe makes the situation better.

Because of public transportation, higher driving ages, and stricter DWI laws, there is less of an impact at least with driving, but they certainly have plenty of their own alcohol-related problems.

And I do agree that this should be a state issue.

Old 03-13-2009, 08:47 PM

13 posts, read 29,116 times
I think these should be raised to 21
-Ability to sign a 6-8 year contract with the military
-Getting bank loans and credit cards
-Being able to live on your own
-Signing leases for apartments
-Paying bills and taxes all on your own
-Being held completely responsible for all of you actions
-Being able to purchase Tobacco products

Not lower the drinking age.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or