U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2008, 08:24 PM

1,385 posts, read 2,680,675 times

Advertisements

Heck there are a lot of 21 year olds who aren't mature enough to drink.

Old 10-27-2008, 08:37 PM

517 posts, read 2,241,562 times
There are a lot of folks of every age who aren't mature enough to drink either but that doesn't mean we should bring back prohibition.

I went to a college in upstate NY and knew several 18 year olds that would drive to Canada to drink legally and then drove home drunk. Where there is a will there is a way even if it involves stupidity and risky behavior. Haven't we learned that from prohibition?

I agree with previous posters that said that being of age to kill or die for their country, but not to drink is hypocritical. I would rather raise the driving age, teens driving is far more dangerous than allowing 18 year olds to drink.

I also agree with the post about drinking losing its mystique when its no longer forbidden. If young people were allowed to experience responsible drinking under the supervision of their parents, it wouldn't be such a novelty. A few of my friends who were of European descent grew up drinking wine with dinner, and said that they never understood the American phenomenon of binge drinking.

Old 10-28-2008, 08:12 AM

3,704 posts, read 4,143,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ButterflyUK View Post
Its 18 here in the UK and its a real mess. Drink culture is out of control. I think 21 is a much better age, now that I have seen both sides, and I dont think the age limit should be lowered. 18 yr old are really not responsible enough. You dont realize this until you have grown up enough to look back and see.
No offense and I really do not mean this in an intentionally insulting manner, but certain ethnic groups (English, Welsh, Scottish, and Irish) are not known for their ability to drink responsibly.

I mean many other European nations like Germany and France have the same drinking age or lower and don't have the same idiocy when drinking.

Old 10-28-2008, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenBo View Post

If young people were allowed to experience responsible drinking under the supervision of their parents, it wouldn't be such a novelty.
That's a nice dream, but it will never happen. Not enough parents care what their kids do nowadays.
Even if the drinking age were lowered there would still be binge drinking, how many 21 year olds are always trying to "show off" to their friends.

Old 10-28-2008, 09:29 AM

1,669 posts, read 2,155,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Yet, as another poster showed, we allow 18 year olds to do a whole lot of "other things", including carrying a weapon and go to war.

Why not let them drink as well? If they are responsible enough to go to war - IMO, they are responsible enough to have a drink
I agree. I didn't understand the legal age being 21 when I was 18 and I don't understand it now in my 30's. If we're going to say 18 is not old enough to be responsible then we need to raise the age for other things too like taxes, war, etc. That they're responsible enough to do everything but drink, including dying for their country, makes zero sense to me. Yet I've never seen even one person advocating that the legal age to join the military should be 21.

Old 10-28-2008, 10:55 AM

12,646 posts, read 13,616,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TristansMommy View Post
Don't agree.. 21 year olds can barely be responsible.. 18 year olds!! OH NO!!! BIG Mistake.. keep the age where it is. IT works JUST fine.
Yep.

Old 10-28-2008, 11:07 AM

31,614 posts, read 55,335,524 times
Better yet:

Make me 18 again, and I PROMISE not to drink until I'm 25.
Really!

Old 10-28-2008, 03:56 PM

5,217 posts, read 4,113,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Better yet:

Make me 18 again, and I PROMISE not to drink until I'm 25.
Really!

lol

Old 10-29-2008, 10:00 AM

609 posts, read 1,043,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arod0331 View Post
Heck there are a lot of 21 year olds who aren't mature enough to drink.
and theres alot of full grown adults who arent either? whos the ones who get drunk and beat their wives? the large percentage of bar fighters ect.

yet again, 21, let alone 18, your allowed to vote, kill someone and drive a car, please tell me how one drinking is really that bad?

oh yeah, and in canada we are allowed to drink at home with your parents, you jsut cant buy it, its on your property

Old 10-29-2008, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leangk View Post
and theres alot of full grown adults who arent either? whos the ones who get drunk and beat their wives? the large percentage of bar fighters ect.

yet again, 21, let alone 18, your allowed to vote, kill someone and drive a car, please tell me how one drinking is really that bad?

oh yeah, and in canada we are allowed to drink at home with your parents, you jsut cant buy it, its on your property
Apparently you're not paying attention.

At an older age you should be more responsible for your actions.

I've lived in areas where people barely over 21 were getting drunk, fighting and screaming at all hours of the night, and now you want to allow 18 year olds to do the same? No thank you.

I say keep the age where it is. The laws were changed for a reason.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or