U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2008, 10:11 AM

2,631 posts, read 4,831,584 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heracles View Post
I like the idea overall, but unlike idealistic portrayals like "Starship Troopers" you will have pregnant, disabled, and criminal 18YOs required to do their part. Where will you fit them in? I understand the goal is to get young people to invest and 'take ownership' of their country through service but it might not be all that rosy. What about wealthy teens getting Daddy to pull some strings to get them a waiver or some sort of supervisory position? Would this kind of service end up perpetuating the divisions we already have?

But when I envision mandatory service, I think of military service and some sort of 'young ambassadors' or Peace Corp sort of organization that does the humanitarian and outreach work currently spread out over numerous agencies and private organizations. Instead of mandatory service (the stick) why not some sort of perk (the carrot) that goes to those who serve? The only thing that comes to mind other than financial compensation is the vote.
i don't agree that there should be any form of mandatory service. but i think that something along the lines of what heracles is saying could be beneficial to the nation if well-constructed and well-promoted.

if we could give kids a whole package of options when they graduate high school, and give them some rewards for successful completion (whether that would be scholarships to college, tax breaks later on, etc), then maybe we could get kids to go out and do something for others, something that would teach them sacrifice, community, humanity, personal responsibility, and critical analysis.

there are plenty of organizations that would give kids an opportunity to do something for either their local, or the world community. the military, the peace corps, etc. my sister went to guatemala last year to work with children in an orphanage. i have friends in the peace corps. i served in the marine corps, and i went on a mission for my church (obviously wouldn't be one of the government-sponsored choices, but still gave me opportunities to serve people and to broaden my horizons beyond what i knew up through high school).

aaron out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2008, 10:11 AM

3,031 posts, read 7,863,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Mandatory community service......I like it and there is no reason why anyone could not participate at some level.
I would be in favor of perhaps having high school students have a community service requirement to graduate. Have them perform a certain number of hours of service over the last couple years of high school. Give them credits for it, and let them choose how they'd like to serve. That would be a good thing. Forcing people to give two years out of their lives and their educational schedules in order to serve is not a good idea.

Old 10-28-2008, 10:12 AM

274 posts, read 545,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
Forced service would only (rightly) make people rebel.
Isn't this what our founders believed as well?

Old 10-28-2008, 10:13 AM

765 posts, read 1,680,569 times
Hmm indentured servitude to the government to earn a vote that while in indentured servetude the goverment has told you how to vote. Does anyone
else see a problem here? BTW Sushi love the Heinlein refrence.

Old 10-28-2008, 10:19 AM

23 posts, read 40,056 times
I believe most high schools do have a mandatory 25 or so community hours that must be completed before getting a diploma. To me that is the only way it should be pushed. Maybe some college degrees should have it as well.

Old 10-28-2008, 10:31 AM

451 posts, read 1,096,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuSuSushi View Post
Because picking up trash in a parking lot or by the roadside will help you grok your fellow man.

well if you spent some time doing it, it would make you less likely to throw stuff out the road when you are driving down thte street, cause you know it sucks.

Old 10-28-2008, 10:33 AM

451 posts, read 1,096,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuSuSushi View Post
I would be in favor of perhaps having high school students have a community service requirement to graduate. Have them perform a certain number of hours of service over the last couple years of high school. Give them credits for it, and let them choose how they'd like to serve. That would be a good thing. Forcing people to give two years out of their lives and their educational schedules in order to serve is not a good idea.

I would even entertain this. The main goal that would be ownership of your streets, community, city,nation.

Old 10-28-2008, 10:35 AM

1,846 posts, read 2,640,291 times
A friend of mine did this in Mexico. She attended the university to become a lawyer, she did not haveto pay for this education but instead she had to give back 2 years service for free, kind of like a long externship.
This is the same here in the respect that often times once higher education is received ( And we must pay for it unless we get a scholarship) we haveto complete an externship that often does not pay!
What do externs do? They get a p/t job at night or one that goes around their volunteer hours, it is hard but this is not forever.

Old 10-28-2008, 10:39 AM

3,031 posts, read 7,863,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elvislives View Post
Hmm indentured servitude to the government to earn a vote that while in indentured servetude the goverment has told you how to vote. Does anyone
else see a problem here? BTW Sushi love the Heinlein refrence.
Ah, nice to see somebody "got" it.

Old 10-28-2008, 10:44 AM

2,052 posts, read 3,973,738 times
It will be run like those other obnoxious programs like the Peace Corps or Americorps. Count me out!

If you want to do something for your fellow Americans, join the Marine Corps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or