U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2008, 08:45 PM

451 posts, read 1,096,831 times

Advertisements

We live in a country were we are afforded a lot of rights that aren't had around the rest of the world, and how to we repay ourselves's? We call each other liberals, or conservative's like its a bad word. We disrespect each other beliefs even though we were founded as a nation of the free. Why dont' we ever give back. When you graduate high school you should have to serve America for 2 years. Not in the military for say, but in schools, in community centers, hopitals, in the areas where we need work. After that you will get some help in paying for college, but not a free ride. There should also be very few waivers for this as certain people will try not to do there share for america. I'm hoping that this would give the youth to see more of our contry from different points of view. What are your thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2008, 09:04 PM

3,460 posts, read 4,791,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by B.H81 View Post
What are your thoughts?
You're walking a fine line with slavery by saying service should be required.

I agree that people willing to serve and defend their nation deserve to be treated a little better than the draft dodgers, and your thought isn't new. Some books written back in the 40's even promoted the idea that the right to vote should be conditioned upon service.

Old 10-27-2008, 09:43 PM

48,519 posts, read 81,030,761 times
We are far past ;that I am afraid. One of the reasons is that starting with the vietnam war ;frankly even the services decided that they did not want many people to serve. Sad but true.

Old 10-27-2008, 09:48 PM

31,603 posts, read 55,320,924 times
With Tax Freedom Day falling in late May or early June each year, it would seem that we actual taxpayers have been inducted into mandatory service already!

Old 10-27-2008, 10:02 PM

16,851 posts, read 51,316,975 times
Switzerland has mandatory service. IIRC, Israel has a similar requirement. Frankly, I think it is a stunningly good idea to equalize young people and give them "ownership" of their country. Like anything, there are downsides, but overall the benefits outweigh them. Those who don't serve don't get to vote, don't get to hold office, don't get to collect governmental benefits, and don't get to be owners or CEOs of businesses. Other than that, they are treated as ordinary people.

Old 10-27-2008, 10:20 PM

2,141 posts, read 7,037,511 times
I think 2 years of mandatory service would be good. Our military is spread too thin and some are serving continuous tours of duty.

Old 10-27-2008, 11:31 PM

307 posts, read 1,051,672 times
Absolutely not. The numbers alone, we're talking tens of millions people between the ages of 17-25. We can barely take care of the vets we have now, that would be human/bureaucratic catastrophe managing those people. I'm all for creating and expanding programs for different types of civil service including military, but strictly voluntary not mandatory. I can even subscribe to withholding certain benefits without service, such as welfare, etc. But we are a free nation with enough volunteers for our military. We're stretched too thin because we're all over the planet, fighting in two countries, etc. Unless of course the people are ready just to say, yea we're an empire and we need conscription to support our expanding empire, it's not happening.

Old 10-28-2008, 07:10 AM

1,667 posts, read 8,152,605 times
When I enlisted in mid 1970s, non-violent offenders, like car thieves, were offered the choice of going to jail or serving in the military. The military's reputation and credibility suffered, along with the residents in cities that catered to such a random group. As it is now, service members have policed their industry and cleaned up their act. I want only the select best of volunteers to wear the uniform and represent our country around the world.

Old 10-28-2008, 07:29 AM

451 posts, read 1,096,831 times
If everybody can look back at my post, I wasn't pointing stright to military. I said service to the country. I would honestly want to keep the military a choice. My goal would be to get people in schools to help smaller children, get them in hospitals and other places where they work off the strenght of volenteers. I know the military is what is thought of, but I was looking around helping the entire country.

Old 10-28-2008, 07:38 AM

3,031 posts, read 7,865,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by B.H81 View Post
If everybody can look back at my post, I wasn't pointing stright to military. I said service to the country. I would honestly want to keep the military a choice. My goal would be to get people in schools to help smaller children, get them in hospitals and other places where they work off the strenght of volenteers. I know the military is what is thought of, but I was looking around helping the entire country.
Tell me, how do you plan to pay all those people who would be forced to take a two year break from their educational or career plans in order to do this service?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or