Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2010, 06:17 PM

5,747 posts, read 12,053,234 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelEyez02403 View Post
Do these clincs generally verify age in other parts of the country??? I remember going when I was 16 and being able to use a fake name, paying out of pocket, and receiving care. This was in New York and not too long ago. This was because my mother did not believe I needed to see doctors, and if she found out I was going to see a gyn (normal checkup), she would hit me.

Are parents generally respectful of teens privacy? Like, any mothers here wait in the room while a gyn performs an exam on their teenage girl? I'm just curious how the teens feel about this, and what boundaries parents think there should be.
Although my daughter is just now hitting adolescence, I am very willing to sit out a gyn appointment in the waiting room, as long as there is a second set of eyes (e.g., a nurse) for the physical exam.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2010, 02:21 AM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmarie1 View Post
Recently my 16 year old came to me and told me that she thought she had an std. Well I first made the appointment with her doctor, they tried to tell me there was nothing but a urinary infection and prescribed some medicine. I then took her to my gyn doctor. They are refusing to give me information so I am refusing to pay. Am I wrong? I feel like I am her parent, I am caring for her, I get her annual check ups, take her to the clinic when she is sick, she has annual dental, vision,etc. She is on my insurance and if I have to foot the bill then I feel that I have a right to know what is going on with her. When she told me of her condition I did not trip! I have always talked to my children about if you are going to have sex at least protect yourself. I have two grown sons and the medical profession wasn't secretive with them. They didn't even make me leave the room when they were examined. My daughter, they want me to leave the room at certain points during her exam. I don't understand because she cannot go to her doctors appointment without me and the other day the gyn calls the house to speak with my daughter, when I informed her that I was the mother, she couldn't speak to me but she wants my daughter to come back into her office. Can someone please tell me what my rights are in this situation?
Over the phone it's not good practice to give out medical info beause you never know who is actually on the other end. Go with your daughter to the Dr's again, I'm sure you will get the answers you need. And pay your bill, there is no excuse for not paying for services rendered.

Old 05-14-2010, 05:56 PM

604 posts, read 1,186,089 times
What's the harm here? So, you the parent cannot have access to every medical record. You get access when you need access, medically. Does not having access prevent your child from getting medical care? Does not having access alter medical treatment? 'Cause then we're talking negligence or malpractice, and I'm just guessing that MDs try to avoid that. So, where's the harm? What's the problem? Child needs treatment, child gets it. Parent not knowing the details must be the problem. But that sounds like the parent's problem.

Old 05-14-2010, 06:26 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,701,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbledeez View Post
What's the harm here? So, you the parent cannot have access to every medical record. You get access when you need access, medically. Does not having access prevent your child from getting medical care? Does not having access alter medical treatment? 'Cause then we're talking negligence or malpractice, and I'm just guessing that MDs try to avoid that. So, where's the harm? What's the problem? Child needs treatment, child gets it. Parent not knowing the details must be the problem. But that sounds like the parent's problem.
The problem is people that support these laws designed to breakup the family unit. Parents are ignorant they don't need to be involved in children's medical choices. That's the premise. Parents are dangerous and should be strictly controlled. We the collective know whats good for your child.

Old 05-14-2010, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldogdad View Post
The problem is people that support these laws designed to breakup the family unit. Parents are ignorant they don't need to be involved in children's medical choices. That's the premise. Parents are dangerous and should be strictly controlled. We the collective know whats good for your child.
How does medical confidentiality breakup the family unit? This is a teenager. If there's a problem with the parental relationship, I'm guessing it was already there before the kid went to the doc alone or decided to leave the parent in the waiting room. The doctor makes the medical choices, not the parent.

Old 05-14-2010, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbledeez View Post
The doctor makes the medical choices, not the parent.
Doctors do not impose treatment upon patients. Patients make the choices.

Old 05-14-2010, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by formercalifornian View Post
Doctors do not impose treatment upon patients. Patients make the choices.

There remains choice with imposition. I don't get the point anyway.

Old 05-14-2010, 08:00 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,185,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuSuSushi View Post
Everyone should have the right to doctor-patient confidentiality.
It's HIPAA.
I work in a hospital. We are constantly reminded about HIPAA.
Giving info about patients (without consent) is illegal. That includes phone calls.
Anyone violating HIPAA can be terminated. The medical personnel (including the doctor) can also be fined. The medical facility (hospital, clinic, whatever) will have to be prepared to deal with legal problems. These may include losing Medicare benefits and other subsidies. Fines are levied by the amount of violations. Every large hospital has a compliance officer to ensure that HIPPA is applied and to investigate all breaches of doctor-patient confidentiality.
Briefly, HIPAA is taken very seriously.
Read more:
Health Information Privacy

Last edited by Visvaldis; 05-14-2010 at 08:19 PM..

Old 05-14-2010, 08:03 PM

I took issue with your statement that physicians make the choices. That is simply not true. Physicians may advise a particular treatment option, but they may NOT impose treatment on a person of any age. That's a clear violation of patient autonomy.

Old 05-14-2010, 08:13 PM

1,963 posts, read 5,623,003 times
I think patient confidentiality concerning minors only comes into play with certain limited sexual health issues like birth control, pregnancy, STD's, abuse, rape etc. I'm not sure if it covers general mental health conditions like depression, anxiety or even sexual orientation/confusion. So let's not overstate the rights of kids to seek & receive treatment behind the backs of their parents. I don't think any doctor in their right mind would keep quiet about a serious illness like bulemia or leukemia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates