U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-10-2008, 07:56 PM

25,107 posts, read 34,371,245 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky D View Post
No matter what happened MLK kept believing in the initial goodness of humanity; that whenever others struck him he simply turned the other cheek.

But I guess it takes real courage to stop projecting your own worst fears on others and trust them instead?
Sorry Bubba but - when a gun is pointed at a loved ones head - turning the other cheek, or remembering Ghandi is not going to help or saved that loved one

Fast, decisive action will.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2008, 07:58 PM

8,567 posts, read 14,520,600 times
Originally Posted by Greatday
Quote:
I am not surprised however you are incapable of understanding the difference
And I'm not surprised that Americans don't trust their own government and / or army.
That they want their citizens to be armed in case their government or army turns on them.
I mean if ya can't trust your own government and army how can you trust other governments, right?
It seems that distrust and paranoia is a normal state for Americans.

Old 11-10-2008, 08:00 PM

Quote:
And I'm not surprised that Americans don't trust their own government and / or army.
When it comes to personal safety, my government and/or Army is a non-issue

Old 11-10-2008, 08:23 PM

Quote:
When it comes to personal safety, my government and/or Army is a non-issue
As long as it doesn't blind you, because most Germans had a blind trust in Hitler and we all know this resulted in WWII.

As a side note, before WWII happened the German Jews were forbidden by the Nazi government to marry ‘true’ Germans, own their own business or own a weapon on the basis of their race and yet the world did nothing.
Then again, racial segregation was kinda normal at that time.

Old 11-10-2008, 08:29 PM

Quote:
As long as it doesn't blind you, because most Germans had a blind trust in Hitler and we all know this resulted in WWII.
Totally off topic -

Answer this: What was I supposed to do with a criminal who had a gun pointed at the head of my wife - and who was threatening to kill her and my son?

He was making demands of her - demands she could not meet - and he was going to kill her (and we know he had killed someone earlier in the evening).

What would you have done? Forget Hitler. Forget the Government. Forget the Jews.

Old 11-10-2008, 08:43 PM

Quote:
What would you have done? Forget Hitler. Forget the Government. Forget the Jews.
No I won't because it is all connected with each other.
Hitler started WWII because of what happened in WWI.
You can't disconnect the past from the present.

It is a fact that your government has failed you by allowing there to be a segregation between the poor and the rich instead of closing (or narrowing) the gap between them they've only widened it.
Your government has also refused to take care of their mentally ill ( including war veterans) which results in the fact that the American individual has to clean up the mess (and pay the costs) their government has made.

Old 11-10-2008, 08:53 PM

3,689 posts, read 9,254,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday No I won't because it is all connected with each other.
Hitler started WWII because of what happened in WWI.
You can't disconnect the past from the present.

It is a fact that your government has failed you by allowing there to be a segregation between the poor and the rich instead of closing (or narrowing) the gap between them they've only widened it.
Your government has also refused to take care of their mentally ill ( including war veterans) which results in the fact that the American individual has to clean up the mess (and pay the costs) their government has made.
nice way you skirted a direct question.

Old 11-10-2008, 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by Noahma
Quote:
nice way you skirted a direct question.
Thanks, this is why I'm glad to live in The Netherlands.
The chances of this happening here is much smaller than in the US simply because the Dutch government takes better care of its citizens.

Old 11-10-2008, 09:01 PM

3,689 posts, read 9,254,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noahma Thanks, this is why I'm glad to live in The Netherlands.
The chances of this happening here is much smaller than in the US simply because the Dutch government takes better care of its citizens.
what the heck kind of response was this? your statement makes absolutely no sense at all.

Old 11-10-2008, 09:03 PM

Quote:
No I won't because it is all connected with each other.Hitler started WWII because of what happened in WWI.You can't disconnect the past from the present.
Clearly, you are trying to avoid answering the question

None of what you wrote - NONE OF IT - had anything to do with someone pointing a gun at my wife -

So, unless you correct me - I will assume you would not take any definitive action to protect your loved ones life -
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates