U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-29-2008, 07:17 AM

3,105 posts, read 6,488,984 times

Advertisements

Just curious - what percentage of homes in your state have guns?

I'm in West Virginia. One report I read says 55%, another says 68%. Both of those figures seem low to me. I'd believe these reports for handguns (maybe even a lower percentage), but my guess would be that at the very least 80% of the homes in WV have at least one shotgun or rifle for hunting (most have more than one). (In that 80%, I am considering permanent homes and excluding housing for college students, etc.) I have a hard time thinking of one "home" I know, regardless of socioeconomic status, who does not own at least one hunting gun and that at least one person in that household has not gone hunting at least once in their life.

Personally, I think they could take all the handguns/military type weapons and melt them down. But keep your hands off our hunting guns.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2008, 08:54 AM

9,616 posts, read 11,064,818 times
[quote=subsound;6342349

Compared to the options, Democracy is the least likely to go wrong. [/quote]

subsound, I applaud this one! I think it goes up on the fridge!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
(and here he refers to the relentlessly erudite Tricky D) Well, there is another of your total fabrications - please - show me where I, or anyone else for that matter, "blame all of our problems" on non Americans -

Please - stop making up stories that are, in actuality, lies
One does what one is very good at, GD. You're watching a master!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vec101 View Post

Personally, I think they could take all the handguns/military type weapons and melt them down. But keep your hands off our hunting guns.
vec101: otherwise a good post, but fortunately I hope you are only utilizing our American right to express our personal (even if invalid) opinions. In, say, the Netherlands, Russia and elsewhere, when the politicals believe something, you get to comply. No way to fight back except to bleat a bit. ("Shhhhh... they're back and this time they're pounding at the door)

I use my sidearm in my job which isn't law enforcement or military. I also like to target shoot and even hunt with my .22 handgun. I also target-shoot with my mil-styled rifle. My continuing education and experience with these inanimate objects reinforces my understanding of the potential for destruction or for good, for recreation and safety. All are possible; it is up to the level of responsibility and ethics of the user.

The recognition and proper use of mature responsibility is not the sole property of some Dutchmen. They just think so.

('mornin, Noahma!)

Last edited by rifleman; 11-29-2008 at 08:55 AM.. Reason: typos

Old 11-29-2008, 08:59 AM

13,340 posts, read 10,905,899 times
Quote:
Just curious - what percentage of homes in your state have guns?

I'm in West Virginia. One report I read says 55%, another says 68%. Both of those figures seem low to me. I'd believe these reports for handguns (maybe even a lower percentage), but my guess would be that at the very least 80% of the homes in WV have at least one shotgun or rifle for hunting (most have more than one). (In that 80%, I am considering permanent homes and excluding housing for college students, etc.) I have a hard time thinking of one "home" I know, regardless of socioeconomic status, who does not own at least one hunting gun and that at least one person in that household has not gone hunting at least once in their life.

Sigh.....if they melt down my handguns and "military" style firearms that would take out MY ( and a lot of other folks) niche in the shooting sports. Steel Challenge shooting, NRA bullseye matches, long rang rifle competition, IPSC, Camp Perry and soooo much more.Food for thought, not everyone uses their firearms JUST for hunting. There are a LOT of other "legitimate sporting purposes". Respectfully Da Plumber.

Old 11-29-2008, 02:40 PM

3,105 posts, read 6,488,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
Sigh.....if they melt down my handguns and "military" style firearms that would take out MY ( and a lot of other folks) niche in the shooting sports. Steel Challenge shooting, NRA bullseye matches, long rang rifle competition, IPSC, Camp Perry and soooo much more.Food for thought, not everyone uses their firearms JUST for hunting. There are a LOT of other "legitimate sporting purposes". Respectfully Da Plumber.
Had no idea about all those comps, uses, etc. Thanks for informing me, both of you. I hereby change my position and support you also.

Old 11-29-2008, 05:28 PM

9,616 posts, read 11,064,818 times
Thumbs up Wow!

Quote:
Had no idea about all those comps, uses, etc. Thanks for informing me, both of you. I hereby change my position and support you also.
Impressive! Thanks!

Old 11-30-2008, 05:22 PM

44,580 posts, read 43,115,486 times
All this talk about melting down guns is just crazy. If a person knows how to build an assualt rifle, there is little you can do about. I would rather see a perfectly sane everyday citizen with an assault rifle than some psycho with pencil.
Melting down guns doesn't seem logical to me. A person could make a crude gun out of household materials, and not necessarily metal either.

Old 11-30-2008, 10:45 PM

8,567 posts, read 14,518,646 times
Originally Posted by Greatday
Quote:
Well, there is another of your total fabrications - please - show me where I, or anyone else for that matter, "blame all of our problems" on non Americans -
By claiming that many of the gangs in America are not originally from the US you create the false division that there is a difference between American Caucasian gangs and non-Caucasian American gangs.
The American Irish gangs, the Italian gangs and the UB etc aren't from the US either since they're from Europe.
Heck, the Caucasian Americans originated from Europe.

Originally Posted by Noahma
Quote:
we have a seperation of powers in our government (pick up a book and stop watching t.v.)
Only theoretically.
LoL, I've found watching Gangs of NY (2002) and Amistad (1997) very enlightening.
Quote:
Exectuive, legislative and judicial, each one can bring to task anything they think does not belong in law, or government.
Except that the Patriot Act has shown the world how easy it is to burst the bubble of the division between the executive, legislative and judicial powers.
Quote:
and without our guns we would not be free from British Tyranny
So?
The black Americans had been tyrannised for centuries by the white Americans because of the so called ' legal' segregation but gained full citizenship, instead of being 2nd rate citizens, without the use of a gun.

Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte
Quote:
A person could make a crude gun out of household materials, and not necessarily metal either.
Are you really advocating that if the majority of the citizens don't obey the speed limit, it then should be abolished?
That we only should keep the laws the majority wants to obey?
What if the majority of a nation are paedophiles, should the age of consent* then be lowered to the age 4?

Nowadays the knowledge to make a WMD or some other kinda (dirty) bomb is readily available, does this mean that it should be legal for every citizen to create his own (nuclear) explosive device?

Quote:
*So what does the age of consent mean?
The age of consent is the age when the law says you can agree to have sex. In most countries, until you reach this age you can't legally have sex with anyone, however old they are. Sometimes the law is slightly different when the partners are of a similar age, but there is usually still a minimum age below which sex is always illegal.

But our parents say it's okay. . .
That doesn't make any difference - your parents don't make the law. Teens can't get around the laws for smoking, drinking or driving because their parents say so, and it's the same with this. The age of consent laws always apply, whether you're in love, or you've been together for ages, or you've had sex before.
Source: Teens, sex and the law

Old 11-30-2008, 10:49 PM

25,107 posts, read 34,366,957 times
You are SERIOUSLY misinformed about the United States TD -

Old 11-30-2008, 11:11 PM

8,567 posts, read 14,518,646 times
Originally Posted by Greatday
Quote:
You are SERIOUSLY misinformed about the United States TD -
That is just your opinion and you only base this on the fact that I mostly disagree with you.

Old 11-30-2008, 11:13 PM

55,237 posts, read 72,415,357 times
totalitarian behavior. disarm the people 1st. i dont even think they are concerned about the criminals. they are a minor problem. they want control of the people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates