U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-06-2008, 10:52 PM

8,567 posts, read 14,533,442 times

Advertisements

Originally Posted by Greatday
Quote:
Yes, I support the Death Penalty
We agree for the 2nd time, but I only support the death penalty when it concerns serial predators and not just a case of manslaughter etc.
But explain to me why there is so much violent crime in the US if every US citizen is allowed to own a gun and you guys view guns as the best crime deterrent?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2008, 10:52 PM

5,230 posts, read 7,330,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky D View Post
Originally Posted by Tin Knocker Then tell me why America has so much violent crimes when American citizens already are allowed to have guns and your American government has the death penalty as the ultimate crime deterrent?
Because we are a much more free country. It should be simple to understand that one of the prices of freedom is that some will abuse it.

Quote:
The Netherlands has none of those countermeasures, but we also have no student shootings or drive-by shootings and our courts, compared to the US, are very soft on crime.
Because your not in a free country & as you admit, the criminals can work in relative saftey.

The important difference is in America you can choose to provide for your defense if you want. You cant.
Quote:
Besidez, you confuse social intelligent behaviour with meekness an / or blind obedience.
No I dont. You confuse your opinion or stance with that of an intelligent person.

Quote:
You are calling sociopaths thoughtful?
Do you actually know English?
Why not? You would ban dangerous items so they could go free.

I know more about English than you do about life in America.

Old 12-06-2008, 11:00 PM

25,107 posts, read 34,402,249 times
Quote:
We agree for the 2nd time, but I only support the death penalty when it concerns serial predators and not just a case of manslaughter etc.
Manslaughter does not qualify for the death penalty - in any state.

Old 12-06-2008, 11:01 PM

Quote:
if every US citizen is allowed to own a gun and you guys view guns as the best crime deterrent?
Allowed to own and owning are two different things -

You seem to assume that every American owns a firearm - you are grossly mistaken

Old 12-06-2008, 11:01 PM

5,230 posts, read 7,330,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday We agree for the 2nd time, but I only support the death penalty when it concerns serial predators and not just a case of manslaughter etc.
But explain to me why there is so much violent crime in the US if every US citizen is allowed to own a gun and you guys view guns as the best crime deterrent?
We dont necesarilly view them as the best anything.
We just value the right to own & use them. The reason you hear so much about them as a crime deterrent is you harp on the fact that crimes are commited with them so much. You push the subject to crime in every gun thread here. Just like RL pushes it to suicide.

Our crime rate is what it is & has nothing to do with my civil rights.

Old 12-06-2008, 11:02 PM

Originally Posted by Tin Knocker
Quote:
It should be simple to understand that one of the prices of freedom is that some will abuse it.
LoL, your credit crisis already has proven that white collar crime runs rampant in America.
Heck, systematically abusing the system (read: systematically profiting from the poor) is not even seen as crime in the US.
Quote:
Because your not in a free country & as you admit, the criminals can work in relative saftey.
As supposed to America?

Quote:
I know more about English than you do about life in America.
Unfortunately you know nothing of ghetto-life (read: life in poverty).
I suggest you visit 1 of your ghetto's in America.
But I would understand it that you as a Caucasian are afraid to do just that.

Old 12-06-2008, 11:05 PM

3,689 posts, read 9,263,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatdayAre you for or against the death penalty?
BTW a great deflection of actually answering my question.

Let me part with the words of a very wise master:
again, a set of quotes that shows your view of our country is based on Hollywood and t.v.

Old 12-06-2008, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Unfortunately you know nothing of ghetto-life (read: life in poverty).I suggest you visit 1 of your ghetto's in America.
How little you know -

I was in the streets, homeless and with a new born child.

Today, my wife and I work with the at risk population - in many ways

Face it - you don't know what you are talking about -

Old 12-06-2008, 11:10 PM

3,689 posts, read 9,263,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Knocker LoL, your credit crisis already has proven that white collar crime runs rampant in America.
Heck, systematically abusing the system (read: systematically profiting from the poor) is not even seen as crime in the US.
As supposed to America?

Unfortunately you know nothing of ghetto-life (read: life in poverty).
I suggest you visit 1 of your ghetto's in America.
But I would understand it that you as a Caucasian are afraid to do just that.
the credit crisis is not an American thing, Greenland, Most of Europe and Russia all are suffering from idiotic lending practices. England had most of the framework for disaster going a few years before our government started forcing lending agency's to loan to anyone.
Again, this way of trying to deflect from the topic is going to hurt your argument, you like to use the 2 year old scenario.

Tricky, your acting like a two year old that did something wrong, they tend to try to change the topic at hand to get out of the trouble they are in.

Old 12-06-2008, 11:15 PM

Originally Posted by Greatday
Quote:
Allowed to own and owning are two different things -
Since when is being allowed to kill someone and killing someone 2 different things?
You are allowed to kill aren't you?
It takes great skill to fire a gun and not kill someone by accident.
In short: it is easier to kill someone with a firearm than it is to merely incapacitate them.

In The Netherlands only the Law enforcement (the professionals) has the monopoly to use violence (and own guns).
Of course I'm allowed to defend myself, but I will still be brought to trial for having used violence.
Especially when it was disproportionate.
And with guns this will easily be the case.

Quote:
How little you know -

I was in the streets, homeless and with a new born child.
I wasn't aware that you also post under the name Tin Knocker.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates