U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
Old 12-16-2008, 01:18 AM
Status: "D.O.L." (set 11 days ago)
 
Location: My own piece of land and happiness
14,474 posts, read 5,662,687 times
Reputation: 3695
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky D View Post
Originally Posted by rifleman It is a good thing you don't live in The Netherlands, because you would hate all the Dutch people.
Especially our Dutch politicians are very good in “polderen” (= to stay in dialogue until everyone agrees).
I guess this is why back in the days the Dutch were able to easily buy land from the American Indians because they kept talking until we all agreed on a price.
Instead of killing them all so we could take their land.

FYI I don’t hate Americans I just disagree with them (with some more than others).


thats also why alot of americans disagree with euro's opinions. you in europe have your own laws and they work for you for the most part, but we as a constitutional republic have a differnet view. the goverment is supposed to be there for the general welfare, not be nanny from cradle to grave as it is in europe.

I as a american count on myself for self protection not the cops. when cops are around, it is usually too late to stop the crook, in comes mr glock who holds the crook until the cop does get there.
I think that in europe having a private citizen holding a crook at gun point until the cops showed up would cause all hell to break loose in your country, as here where I live it would not cause much to happen at all within the law enforcement department.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-16-2008, 01:34 AM
 
Location: The Netherlands
8,532 posts, read 9,970,316 times
Reputation: 1527
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching
Quote:
you in europe have your own laws and they work for you for the most part, but we as a constitutional republic have a differnet view.
So you agree with me that the main difference between Europe and America is that Europe, unlike America, isn't enforcing their own set of laws on a foreign nation or foreign people.
I mean the American government legalising torturing their own American citizens is 1 thing, but 'legalising' torturing foreign citizens while it is against your own law to torture American citizens?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-16-2008, 01:53 AM
 
Location: vagabond
2,610 posts, read 3,230,052 times
Reputation: 1226
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky D View Post
Originally Posted by rifleman It is a good thing you don't live in The Netherlands, because you would hate all the Dutch people.
Especially our Dutch politicians are very good in “polderen” (= to stay in dialogue until everyone agrees).
I guess this is why back in the days the Dutch were able to easily buy land from the American Indians because they kept talking until we all agreed on a price.
Instead of killing them all so we could take their land.

FYI I don’t hate Americans I just disagree with them (with some more than others).
for those of you that don't know what he is talking about, i have provided a link. if you need, i'd be happy to supply more:

Kieft's War - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

yes, the superior negotiation strategies of the dutch.

face it, tricky, your argument about why gun control is bad keeps coming down to a 'my dad can beat up your dad' scenario that so far you haven't even been able to supp–

my bad. that so far you haven't even tried to support.

it's a good thing i'm not basing my opinions of the dutch–and their ability to stay in dialogue until everyone agrees–off of city-data, because so far they are underwhelmingly represented, and i would dare say, overwhelmingly misrepresented. in fact, i would bet that most dutch would consider it a responsibility in a conversation to actually answer the points that have been made, like anyone else in the world. at the very least, they would probably feel the urge to make up an elaborate excuse as to why they were blatantly ignoring everything within the conversation that they didn't want to have to deal with, even if only to save face.

instead of ranting about how much america sucks, maybe you could find something constructive to do with your time. maybe you could take up a hobby, like i dunno, marksmanship or something. course, unless you want to join one of the national sporting clubs, you'd have to move to a different country first, but still...

replies to third to last post forthcoming.

aaron out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-16-2008, 04:19 AM
 
Location: The Netherlands
8,532 posts, read 9,970,316 times
Reputation: 1527
Originally Posted by stycotl
Quote:
instead of ranting about how much america sucks,
LoL your rant about 'your daddy being able to beat up my daddy' is exactly the reasoning of a 2-year old.
You simply can't acknowledge that human stupidity is the problem and that bringing more guns to the table will only lead to further escalation of the whole problem.
The only way to eliminate, or at least contain, crime is to raise the level of existence where people will have no reason to commit a crime to survive.
Although we still have poor people in The Netherlands they don't have to fight as hard for sheer survival as the poor in your US.
At least the social security (safety) net for every Dutch citizen is better organised by the Dutch government than those of the Americans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-16-2008, 06:20 AM
 
Location: In a house
5,227 posts, read 4,694,969 times
Reputation: 2461
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky D View Post
Originally Posted by stycotl LoL your rant about 'your daddy being able to beat up my daddy' is exactly the reasoning of a 2-year old.
Yep, but its the only way to respond to you. You make no sense, refuse to stay on topic & refuse to answer questions raised by folks trying to understand your thinking.


Quote:
You simply can't acknowledge that human stupidity is the problem and that bringing more guns to the table will only lead to further escalation of the whole problem.
Human stupidity is what problem? Since the subject is "why have gun rights been restricted...." are you saying human stupidity is responsible?
If so we agree on one point.

Quote:
The only way to eliminate, or at least contain, crime is to raise the level of existence where people will have no reason to commit a crime to survive.
Been thru that & its got nothing to do with gun rights anyway. The right to keep & bear arms would still exist without crime. Crime doesn't dictate what rights we have.
The fact is there would be crime if everyone was independantly wealthy.

Quote:
Although we still have poor people in The Netherlands they don't have to fight as hard for sheer survival as the poor in your US.
You base this on what? This matters to gun rights how?
Why do your cousins resort to crime, useing guns, if #1 gun control works & #2 theres no need to resort to crime?

Quote:
At least the social security (safety) net for every Dutch citizen is better organised by the Dutch government than those of the Americans.
So? Relax & enjoy it. I'm glad your king treats his subjects so well.
Personally I'm just fine & need my government for nothing except the infrastructure. I can feed clothe & arm myself without help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-16-2008, 06:22 AM
 
Location: The Netherlands
8,532 posts, read 9,970,316 times
Reputation: 1527
Originally Posted by Tin Knocker
Quote:
So? Relax & enjoy it. I'm glad your king treats his subjects so well.
King?
What king?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-16-2008, 06:30 AM
 
Location: In a house
5,227 posts, read 4,694,969 times
Reputation: 2461
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky D View Post
Originally Posted by Tin Knocker King?
What king?
My apologies,
Your Queen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-16-2008, 06:36 AM
 
Location: The Netherlands
8,532 posts, read 9,970,316 times
Reputation: 1527
Originally Posted by Tin Knocker
Quote:
Your Queen.
She ain't mine, but as long as she doesn't interfere with the day to day politics I'll tolerate her.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-16-2008, 08:39 AM
 
Location: Pinal County, Arizona
25,105 posts, read 23,061,424 times
Reputation: 4795
Brittany Zimmerman, a 21-year-old college student who wanted to be a doctor, called 911 as she was being attacked by a stranger, police say. But the police did not come for 48 minutes. By that time, Zimmerman was dead

CNN.com - Breaking News, U.S., World, Weather, Entertainment & Video News

While there is no way to know for sure but, if she had a firearm, she might be alive today.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-16-2008, 08:50 AM
 
25,346 posts, read 20,398,858 times
Reputation: 7043
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Brittany Zimmerman, a 21-year-old college student who wanted to be a doctor, called 911 as she was being attacked by a stranger, police say. But the police did not come for 48 minutes. By that time, Zimmerman was dead

CNN.com - Breaking News, U.S., World, Weather, Entertainment & Video News

While there is no way to know for sure but, if she had a firearm, she might be alive today.
Alot of people never think about things like that. I have never felt completely safe on a college campus and sometimes felt the need to buy a gun. Of course, most college campuses ban guns from their campuses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top