U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 12-22-2008, 02:38 PM
 
Location: West Texas
2,441 posts, read 5,246,318 times
Reputation: 3094

Advertisements

Hmmm.... came to this thread to see what people had to say about gun rights, and all I see are two people going at each other, and not even about the OP topic.

Why don't you guys take a little time off this thread? We all don't want the thread locked, and there are some sensitive things from both of you bordering (if not blatently) against the TOS.

I've seen you both post and you guys normally provide good input. Let's give it a break and come back to the topic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-22-2008, 06:39 PM
 
Location: Northglenn, Colorado
3,689 posts, read 9,253,000 times
Reputation: 944
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky D View Post
Originally Posted by Greatday The point is that only allowing legal law enforcement to carry guns would increase everyone's safety, while giving everyone the right to carry guns only increases the individual's but decreases that of everyone else in the gun's reach; especially when the gun owners aren't required to have basic training and about anyone can buy a gun regardless of their medical history.

Are you calling the NY-Times a liar?
Or every other source I've quoted?
Your problem Greatday is that regardless of the facts you call everyone who disagrees with you a liar.
I have posted many scientific studies from across the globe regarding gun control facts, yet you fail to recognize the findings and instead post a link to an obscure article by a very biased newspaper.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-22-2008, 06:41 PM
 
Location: Northglenn, Colorado
3,689 posts, read 9,253,000 times
Reputation: 944
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky D View Post
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte So you too call me a liar because I don't agree with you?
Let me put it in other words: Do you believe that I can only be telling the truth if I agree with you?
that is NOT what he said, get the stuffin out of your eyes and re read it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-23-2008, 09:44 AM
 
Location: Somewhere out there
9,616 posts, read 11,064,818 times
Reputation: 3717
Red face Good one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rathagos View Post
Hmmm.... came to this thread to see what people had to say about gun rights, and all I see are two people going at each other, and not even about the OP topic.

Why don't you guys take a little time off this thread? We all don't want the thread locked, and there are some sensitive things from both of you bordering (if not blatently) against the TOS.

I've seen you both post and you guys normally provide good input. Let's give it a break and come back to the topic.
Yours may be the most well-meaning post of late here, Rathagos, but some of the boys here, in particular one, seem intent on fighting and never listening. Just to be disruptive, I'm sure, and to p##s off good patriotic thinking caring citizens like you, I and a whole bunch of thoughtful polite and respectful others.

If we simply start another thread, this stubborn fellow will just invade there as well unless there's a consensus to ignore him/her no matter where he/she pokes his/her brainless combative insulting stunningly pergorative head. Which would be the most appropriate move that could be made. It would also make the right "statement" as well, to chastize and ex-communicate this non-debator.

I think that for a long time we all thought we could change the mind of an honest but ill-informed participant. V. unlikely in this case. We've been hi-jacked.

We'll have to see how the others think. One can only hope.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-23-2008, 10:37 AM
 
44,587 posts, read 43,115,486 times
Reputation: 14385
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky D View Post
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte So you too call me a liar because I don't agree with you?
Let me put it in other words: Do you believe that I can only be telling the truth if I agree with you?
I never said you were a liar. I said you can't believe everything that is written in newspapers. You not agreeing with me doesn't make you a liar. What I was trying to say is that newspapers can be biased and you shouldn't believe everything in them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-23-2008, 12:37 PM
 
Location: In a house
5,230 posts, read 7,321,196 times
Reputation: 2558
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky D View Post

So?
Neither are they here in The Netherlands, they still aren't above the law.
They must be if the law permits them to do things you cant.

Quote:
I gather that Americans simply won’t feel American without their guns?
Nah, I'd still be American, I just wouldn't be free.

Quote:
I guess you wouldn't understand since you're an American and Americans generally are convinced that they know better than the rest of world; especially in this forum and the political forum where the topic quickly is reduced to 'irrational' Americanism vs un-American thinking.
Blah blah blah, why is it Tricky that when faced with the reality that you are simply not equipped with either the experience of intelligence to debate this topic in an adult manner you stoop to general bashing of the USA?

It should be obvious that not all Americans are pro gun or pro freedom.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-23-2008, 12:42 PM
 
Location: In a house
5,230 posts, read 7,321,196 times
Reputation: 2558
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky D View Post
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte So you too call me a liar because I don't agree with you?
Let me put it in other words: Do you believe that I can only be telling the truth if I agree with you?

No, you are being called a liar because you lie.

You say ALL Americans carry guns.
You say ANYBODY in America can get a gun. Those are two off the top of my head but theres dozens more where you make crap up because your lies dont square with fact.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-23-2008, 12:47 PM
 
Location: In a house
5,230 posts, read 7,321,196 times
Reputation: 2558
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky D View Post

It has everything to do with this thread; America doesn't trust others (like the UN) because Americans don't even trust their own government.
Another thing is the difference between the American government and the UN: the American people have no say over the UN, only over their own American government.

Another lie. This has NOTHING to do with the thread.
Maybe your not bright enough to understand that a spoken, written or typed untruth is a lie.

The UN is about as useless & ineffectual as the Netherlands.
Thats an unassailable truth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-23-2008, 12:49 PM
 
Location: In a house
5,230 posts, read 7,321,196 times
Reputation: 2558
Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman View Post


Yours may be the most well-meaning post of late here, Rathagos, but some of the boys here, in particular one, seem intent on fighting and never listening. Just to be disruptive, I'm sure, and to p##s off good patriotic thinking caring citizens like you, I and a whole bunch of thoughtful polite and respectful others.

If we simply start another thread, this stubborn fellow will just invade there as well unless there's a consensus to ignore him/her no matter where he/she pokes his/her brainless combative insulting stunningly pergorative head. Which would be the most appropriate move that could be made. It would also make the right "statement" as well, to chastize and ex-communicate this non-debator.

I think that for a long time we all thought we could change the mind of an honest but ill-informed participant. V. unlikely in this case. We've been hi-jacked.

We'll have to see how the others think. One can only hope.
Its not so easy to ignore a fool in your midst.
At this point I'm content to let the idiot prove his idiocy. He/she/it does that very well in each post.

But I'll try & ignore him/her/it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-24-2008, 08:43 PM
 
Location: Somewhere out there
9,616 posts, read 11,064,818 times
Reputation: 3717
Default Merry Christmas and a Great 2009!

We'll outfox the forces that fully intend to illegally strip us of our Constitutional rights in 2009 or later (when they think our guard is down..). They'll feel empowered by their supposed big majority (53% versus the 2004 51% that Bush achieved.... wow!) The Schummers and Boxers and Feinsteins and Pelosi's and Dodds and others will come at us full strength and will be unpleasantly surprised. So will the erstwhile Trickster who will have to, in the privacy of his own bathroom, eat his own waste products instead of posting them here.

Tin, Noahma and many others; it's been fun for me for the past 3 months' intro into inline forums. Sharpened my thoughts on a lot of issues thanks to guys and girls like you good and well-thinking types. Tricky and his ilk of incurable irritants do serve a useful purpose of honing our retorts, as long as he doesn't make your heart pound too hard! And if you look at it in the right light, he's pretty amusing, if a bit sad if he truly represents current Euro-thinking. (My Dutch friends assure me he really really doesn't!)

Good shootin!, and let's continue to keep the bad guys' heads down!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top