U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 01-18-2009, 01:34 PM
 
Location: North Beach, MD on the Chesapeake
32,111 posts, read 39,170,046 times
Reputation: 40518

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlchurch View Post
Where is "Home Invasion"? I see a lot of crimes listed, but no "Home Invasion". It's not burglary, since that includes break ins of unoccupied buildings. It's not robberies, those can occur anywhere. Where are "Home Invasions" listed so that we can see that the District has a very modest number of home invasions.

Interesting that you claim it's DC police incompetence that you can't find the current statistics on their web site. Here Metropolitan Police Department: Preliminary Crime Statistics (http://mpdc.dc.gov/mpdc/cwp/view,a,1239,q,543329.asp - broken link)
You're cool enough with those numbers that you say it doesn't happen? Ok. Your link gave me monthlies, I wanted years, and your's went to '07.

burglary definition, you and I will split some hairs on this one:

burglary definition | Dictionary.com

What you don't understand from my viewpoint, and many others, is your claim of safety in DC is bogus. Maybe in your particular neighborhood, but city-wide crime is a major problem. And even if you live in the safest district I'd be willing to bet you have car alarms, barred windows and a home security system.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-18-2009, 01:56 PM
 
Location: Northglenn, Colorado
3,689 posts, read 9,251,619 times
Reputation: 944
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
You're cool enough with those numbers that you say it doesn't happen? Ok. Your link gave me monthlies, I wanted years, and your's went to '07.

burglary definition, you and I will split some hairs on this one:

burglary definition | Dictionary.com

What you don't understand from my viewpoint, and many others, is your claim of safety in DC is bogus. Maybe in your particular neighborhood, but city-wide crime is a major problem. And even if you live in the safest district I'd be willing to bet you have car alarms, barred windows and a home security system.
he is trying to play mind games with you, it is very obvious that home invasions and robberies do not have separate categories, they lump them in the same, because by definition they are the same felony.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-18-2009, 01:58 PM
 
Location: 125 Years Too Late...
10,336 posts, read 9,975,609 times
Reputation: 9086
Quote:
Originally Posted by stycotl View Post
i think that we have made it fairly clear why we are speaking out. gun control is a movement in hysteria for the most part. some sort of law needs to be there. but we are years past the point when it became ridiculous.

current gun control direction does nothing to improve the safety of the citizens; in fact, the argument that current gun control ideas make us more vulnerable is solid enough to warrant some serious thought, whether you currently believe it or not.

we speak out because we believe that one of our rights as lawful citizens of this country is in jeopardy of being illegally stripped from us, and that is an alarming concern.

it is disheartening to say the least that so many americans (and the few foreigners that decide to give us their wisdom) are comfortable giving up their rights one after another, and approving of more and more power in the federal government, power that should be a personal issue.

it is even more disheartening to see how many americans are perfectly content being led around by media hysterics and knee-jerk policies.

dogs are another example of good initiative, but baaaaaad judgment. a minority of *humans* out there are doing some horrible things with dogs. what do we do? ban the dogs.

brilliant.

in the end, policies like these do nothing to fix the human element of the problem, infringe in pointless and unsuccessful ways on our rights, and drive media-trusting, big-government-trusting masses to unnecessary heights of ignorant paranoia, to the point where they are willing to surrender their rights in a false bid for temporary security.

aaron out.
Excellent post. Great to see some logic. I don't own a gun. I'm not really into them. But I’m a firm advocate of personal freedom (as long as it doesn’t deny others their personal freedom). I've yet to see a LOGICAL argument in favor of gun control (making them illegal). I’ve yet to see a statistic that validates gun control. In fact, statistics show the opposite.

Now, IF you ARE doing something illegal with a gun, then we have a problem that needs to be dealt with. Gun control advocates have a hard time separating the person behind the gun and the gun. To them, the gun is somehow responsible for the crime. Not the d***ass that used the gun.

I’ve seen examples of tragedy due to irresponsible gun ownership, but I've yet to see a gun morph into a sentient being, break itself out of its gun safe, load itself, find a victim, and kill him or her. And until that happens, there is no logic to gun control. A criminal doesn’t give a rat’s rear end if a gun is illegal or not. Do you really think that someone who is mentally ill enough to murder another person cares what’s legal or illegal?

When I make this argument to gun control fans, I often hear the defense that ‘making guns illegal will take them out of the hands of criminals.’ Really? How hard is it to get pot? Is it illegal? How many billions of dollars have we all spent on the ‘war on illegal drugs’? And, at this point, is it just as easy to get drugs if you want them as it is to go to the grocery store and buy a gallon of milk? Judging from all the users around me, I’d say it is.

Making guns illegal would just be another step in transformation of the citizenry of this nation into dependent victims of the budding police state, would do nothing to stop people from killing one another, and of course, would cost the lemming/taxpayer more money with a ‘war on guns.’
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-18-2009, 02:24 PM
 
Location: Washington DC
5,915 posts, read 7,084,905 times
Reputation: 948
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
You're cool enough with those numbers that you say it doesn't happen? Ok. Your link gave me monthlies, I wanted years, and your's went to '07.
If you look through the site you can find all the statistics through 2008. You may have to perform some simple arithmetic to put it in a form you like.

I have never said home invasions don't occur. I say that they are quite rare, and apparently quite newsworthy. The police don't track them as a separate category. Some burglaries are home invasions, most are not. If you check the newspaper files, a home invasion can often generate 3-6 articles, but in aggregate in the District there appear to be only a handful annually.

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
burglary definition, you and I will split some hairs on this one:

burglary definition | Dictionary.com
Propably more meaningful to use the FBI definition since that's the basis for the statistics, but your cite is close enough. Forced entry of an unoccupied premise is a burglary, but not a "home invasion."

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
What you don't understand from my viewpoint, and many others, is your claim of safety in DC is bogus. Maybe in your particular neighborhood, but city-wide crime is a major problem. And even if you live in the safest district I'd be willing to bet you have car alarms, barred windows and a home security system.
I understand your viewpoint I encounter it all the time, even from people who live in Washington suburbs. It's based upon ignorance and fear.

If you know anything about the District then you'll understand the relevance of the fact that I live east of Rock Creek Park. I do live in an affluent neighborhood, but only 2-3 blocks from areas of poverty, as do many in DC. We don't have gated communities or barriers between affluent and poor nor do we want them. I am not a statistical anomaly, I live as much of the population does -- in an urban lifestyle that is safe, culturally rich, and accessible to many services.

I do have a home security system and locks on my doors. My in-laws in the Mid-west have the identical security system, so mine is nothing special. No bars on the windows. There is no point in keeping a weapon in the house. The home security system has a panic button, though we've never had an occasion to use it.

I'd encourage you to be mindful of the advice of Thomas Jonathan Jackson who advised, "Never take counsel in your fears".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-18-2009, 02:42 PM
 
Location: Pinal County, Arizona
25,107 posts, read 34,361,805 times
Reputation: 4893
Many jurisdictions include "home invasions" under the Burglary category - thats a fact
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-18-2009, 03:06 PM
 
Location: In a house
5,230 posts, read 7,319,821 times
Reputation: 2558
Regardless of how rare it is the fact remains that you are helpless until the police arrive. Thats your choice. I guess you get comfort knowing that you'll still be warm when the police get there. Most people would rather live.
The disgusting part is thinking you can speak for everyone, some people dont want to risk their family for some ridiculous social experiment.

Our constitution recognizes rights that took literally thousands of years to decide they are needed for liberty & freedom to exist in a country.
You think your smart enough to decide arbitrarily that some are irrelevant or even dangerous.
History shows that its people with your thinking that are dangerous. Repeatedly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-18-2009, 03:09 PM
 
Location: In a house
5,230 posts, read 7,319,821 times
Reputation: 2558
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlchurch View Post
Great please provide us with a tabulation of "home invasions."

One is too many if it happens to be yours.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-18-2009, 03:47 PM
 
Location: North Beach, MD on the Chesapeake
32,111 posts, read 39,170,046 times
Reputation: 40518
Richurch, didn't want to do the whole quote thing but addressing your Thomas Jackson quote: fearful? no, not in the least. To be honest I don't quite understand some of the HD guys with their tactical shotguns, but I also believe they have the right to have them without my caring a whole lot. I also don't understand the guys that paint flames on their cars. As I stated somewhere, my shotguns are secured, even though I live not all that far from you, about an hour or so (in fact have probably driven by your house on my way to Catholic U.), and about 70% of the people who commit home invasions/burglaries/bank robberies/car thefts in my County have a DC or Prince Georges County address. They use RTE 4/PA Ave., also known as the Robber's Highway. Our drug dealers tend to be home grown
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-18-2009, 04:45 PM
 
Location: Washington DC
5,915 posts, read 7,084,905 times
Reputation: 948
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Knocker View Post
Regardless of how rare it is the fact remains that you are helpless until the police arrive. Thats your choice. I guess you get comfort knowing that you'll still be warm when the police get there. Most people would rather live.
The disgusting part is thinking you can speak for everyone, some people dont want to risk their family for some ridiculous social experiment.
Those that object are free to live in a community with less restrictive gun laws.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Knocker View Post
Our constitution recognizes rights that took literally thousands of years to decide they are needed for liberty & freedom to exist in a country.
You think your smart enough to decide arbitrarily that some are irrelevant or even dangerous.
History shows that its people with your thinking that are dangerous. Repeatedly.
We honor those rights as decided by the Supreme Court, the entity enshrined in our Constitution with the authority to interpret it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-18-2009, 04:47 PM
 
Location: Washington DC
5,915 posts, read 7,084,905 times
Reputation: 948
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Knocker View Post
One is too many if it happens to be yours.
I have just the right number then.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top