Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-20-2008, 01:51 PM

659 posts, read 1,085,513 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weedsnake View Post
Does this mean that I have the right to own a gun of my choice, as long as kb09 approves of my choice? Can kb09 accucately describe an "assualt rifle"?
I'm just going to ignore the completely sarcastic question and answer your question of what an assualt rifle is. Wikipedia describes it as being,

"The term assault rifle is a translation of the German word Sturmgewehr (literally meaning "storm rifle"), "storm" used as a verb being synonymous with assault, as in "to storm the compound". Sturmgewehr was coined by Adolf Hitler[1] to describe the Maschinenpistole 44, subsequently re-christened Sturmgewehr 44, the firearm generally considered the first true assault rifle that served to popularize the concept. The translation assault rifle gradually became the common term for similar firearms sharing the same technical definition as the StG 44. In a strict definition, a firearm must have at least the following characteristics to be considered an assault rifle:[2][3][4]
  • An individual weapon with provision to fire from the shoulder.
  • Capable of selective fire.
  • Intermediate-power cartridge between pistol and traditional rifle.
  • Ammunition is supplied from a detachable box magazine.
The term "assault rifle" is often more loosely to include other types of arms, particularly arms that fall under a strict definition of the battle rifle, or semi-automatic variant of military rifles for commercial or political reasons.

[edit] The US Army's definition of "assault rifle"
"Assault rifles are short, compact, selective-fire weapons that fire a cartridge intermediate in power between submachinegun and rifle cartridges."[5] "

That includes AK-47's, M4's, submachine guns, uzis, AR-15's...need I say more?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2008, 07:05 AM

34,231 posts, read 18,579,444 times
Wow. The mainstream media, the anti-gun lobby, and the Democratic party sure has done a great job of convincing the general public that fully automatic military weapons like the M-16 and AK-47 are available to anyone and everyone. And that they are actually used in crime in the U.S.

Old 11-21-2008, 07:57 AM

10,659 posts, read 10,727,332 times
FA weapons aren't that expensive either (IMHO) check out these sites all have models under 10k some under 5k
DealerNFA - Machine Guns (http://www.dealernfa.com/Machine%20Guns.htm - broken link)

Gunsmithing/Transfers

Old 11-21-2008, 02:42 PM

2,957 posts, read 8,376,785 times
I'd love to see the look on everyone's face if I pulled into work driving a Bradley.

Old 11-21-2008, 03:16 PM

7,085 posts, read 12,055,553 times
I don't see the issue, register all the guns and get a copy of their firing pin patterns/striations on a national database (getting closer to be feasible with computer tech). That way if a person has an unregistered gun or purchased illegally, they go to jail. If people are shooting one another, you can track it to the gun and they get their desserts for it. If it's stolen you know it fast, and know what crap it's been linked to.

I just don't see the need for assault rifles, they are fun to try out but not as useful as a Mossberg. Only a lunatic would mess with a person with that trained on them...and if they are that crazy nothing else would stop them. Perfect for self defense in the worst situations, everyone should be handed one and trained.

Old 11-21-2008, 03:17 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
totalitarian government behavior. if you think ownership is restricted god help you if you use that weapon for any reason. cant be public safety. 40% of homicides are puncture wounds.

Old 11-21-2008, 05:32 PM

5,232 posts, read 8,415,423 times
The reality is most guns are virtually registered already. Fireing pin markings are never going to work.
Not unless we just toss a weapon every time it needs a $10 part & not unless we restrict who can buy that $10 part.
If a person buys a gun illegally they already go to jail, if they get caught. Registrations & databases are only good for one thing. Enabling future confiscation. History proves that out again & again. Once crime doesn't go away because of registration they ban the guns & use the database to do it.

What you or I see a need for dont matter. Whats just matters & banning a certain gun because YOU dont see a need for it is unjust.

Old 11-21-2008, 08:51 PM

7,085 posts, read 12,055,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Knocker View Post
Registrations & databases are only good for one thing. Enabling future confiscation. History proves that out again & again.
I don't see how, since the ability to for mass amounts of weapons and unique identifiers is still not quite cost effective. Stating fact by history instead of opinion needs proof.

Old 11-21-2008, 09:41 PM

3,689 posts, read 10,417,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subsound View Post
I don't see how, since the ability to for mass amounts of weapons and unique identifiers is still not quite cost effective. Stating fact by history instead of opinion needs proof.
All you need to do is look at a few countries in history that restricted gun rights. Two glaring examples are Russia and Germany, both restricted gun rights, one before it started an epoch war that brought the world to its knees, and killed millions and millions of people before an end was forced upon Hitler.

Old 11-21-2008, 09:57 PM

5,232 posts, read 8,415,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subsound View Post

The fact that their silly identifiers arent feasable yet doesn't stop them from trying. Cost effectiveness is relative to who's deciding what somethings worth. The new anti American administration might just decide it is plenty cost effective to register & track every gun in America.

Nohma gave two examples of abuses & I'll give a couple more. England & Australia.
It was very easy in both places to ban entire types of guns because they were registered. Its the logical next step. On another note it doesn't seem any safer in either place since these bans have been in effect. People lost valuable personal property, often family heirlooms & for absolutely nothing except an empty promise of saftey.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates