U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-30-2008, 12:24 PM
 
44,685 posts, read 43,237,894 times
Reputation: 14435

Advertisements

I am not a conservative, but I do believe in the right to own a gun. I notice that guns rights were no restricted until the 20th century starting with restricting what kind of gun you can own. It then went to other things. Some people believe curtailing gun ownership would keep murder rates down. I don't see that working too well. Atfer Washington D.C. restricted handgun access, DC went into a severe crimewave. Look at Moscow,Russia. One of the most violent cities in the world and you can't get a gun if you need to protect yourself. Tell me your opinions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-30-2008, 12:30 PM
 
Location: Montrose, CA
3,031 posts, read 7,877,412 times
Reputation: 1925
Because politicians can pander to the paranoia of the general public by doing so. The media broadcasts gun-related crime, the sheeple watch it and believe that gun crime is rampant on our streets, and their knee-jerk reaction is the old mantra "Take the guns away from everyone, think of the children!" Politicians see this, realize they can acquire votes by promoting the idea of gun control, and the sheeple all cheer in unison and cast their votes for that politician.

If you want to see unreasonable paranoia in action, take a look at the gun control thread in this forum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-30-2008, 01:17 PM
 
44,685 posts, read 43,237,894 times
Reputation: 14435
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuSuSushi View Post
Because politicians can pander to the paranoia of the general public by doing so. The media broadcasts gun-related crime, the sheeple watch it and believe that gun crime is rampant on our streets, and their knee-jerk reaction is the old mantra "Take the guns away from everyone, think of the children!" Politicians see this, realize they can acquire votes by promoting the idea of gun control, and the sheeple all cheer in unison and cast their votes for that politician.

If you want to see unreasonable paranoia in action, take a look at the gun control thread in this forum.
I know about paranoia. Alot of people are scared of guns. I personally don't mind if you own a gun or what kind of gun you own. Your gun, your responsibility. I see it as your responsibility to be responsible with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-30-2008, 01:41 PM
 
274 posts, read 546,614 times
Reputation: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
I am not a conservative, but I do believe in the right to own a gun. I notice that guns rights were no restricted until the 20th century starting with restricting what kind of gun you can own. It then went to other things. Some people believe curtailing gun ownership would keep murder rates down. I don't see that working too well. Atfer Washington D.C. restricted handgun access, DC went into a severe crimewave. Look at Moscow,Russia. One of the most violent cities in the world and you can't get a gun if you need to protect yourself. Tell me your opinions.
The DC gun ban was recently deemed unconstitutional in DC v. Heller, 2008.

Justice Scalia wrote the majority opinion and argued that it was the intent of the framers that individuals have guns for self-defense purposes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-30-2008, 01:52 PM
 
44,685 posts, read 43,237,894 times
Reputation: 14435
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelEyez02403 View Post
The DC gun ban was recently deemed unconstitutional in DC v. Heller, 2008.

Justice Scalia wrote the majority opinion and argued that it was the intent of the framers that individuals have guns for self-defense purposes.
Very good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-30-2008, 03:02 PM
 
48,519 posts, read 81,210,251 times
Reputation: 17979
That has really changed over the years as violence has gotten worse. People just realise that governamnt can't react to save you in these situations ;so more and more are arming themselves reguardless of what governamnt wants.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-30-2008, 03:09 PM
 
44,685 posts, read 43,237,894 times
Reputation: 14435
Besides paranoia, what else do you think could be the reason gun laws have become more restrictive?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-30-2008, 03:53 PM
 
Location: Montrose, CA
3,031 posts, read 7,877,412 times
Reputation: 1925
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
Besides paranoia, what else do you think could be the reason gun laws have become more restrictive?
Misinformation and lack of education regarding guns and gun safety.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-30-2008, 04:25 PM
 
878 posts, read 1,849,113 times
Reputation: 460
IMO the police are a leading cause of gun restriction. Instead of portraying themselves as crime investigators, they are referred to as crime stoppers. Unfortunately, there's very little a police officer can do when a crime is being committed. Response time is too slow for most crimes, and so the cops do nothing to stop people from becoming victims.

While they do serve as a deterrant to crime, they have created far too much dependence in people.

Not that I'm anti-cop, I just think their roles have been mistakenly enlarged.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-30-2008, 07:47 PM
 
Location: In a house
5,230 posts, read 7,332,702 times
Reputation: 2559
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
Besides paranoia, what else do you think could be the reason gun laws have become more restrictive?
Because its a vote getter. It gives alot of uninformed people the illusion that their elected officials are doing something to make them safer.

In addition the more restrictive giun ownership becomes, the more power the Gov't has. Not so much because we couldn't overturn them as easilly but because the more helpless we become, the more open to other restrictions creating the illusion of security we are.

Its easy to see already. Theres litterally millions of people who feel threatened by gun freedoms & comforted by govt protection. They believe they are safer because the can call the police AFTER they have been robbed, raped or beaten than they are with the tools to actually prevent most violent crimes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top