U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2008, 09:43 PM

9,546 posts, read 19,445,210 times

Advertisements

I think being vegetarian is probably a much more ethical and sustainable lifestyle choice than being a omnivore. But because a vegetarian occasionally chooses to eat fish, poultry, or meat does not prevent that person from being primarily a vegetarian.

Back in the olden days, I used to be a practicing macrobiotic. If you needed to for specific health issues, you could eat meat or dairy. No one would fault you for it; though you'd set yourself up for some serious kidding if all you ate were chocolate chip cookies.

I think the inflexibilty of all these "isms" people subscribe to may be as unhealthy as anything.

Old 11-01-2008, 10:00 PM

765 posts, read 1,682,904 times
OMG can we feel even more guilty ???? Is your life so empty you must create guilt to make you feel something???? What a sickness...

Old 11-02-2008, 05:31 PM

4,089 posts, read 4,602,368 times
I know of one fishatarian who boycotts meat to protest the conditions in which cattle are raised. In his mind scooping fish from the ocean in a net is more humane than raising cattle in a cramped pen. I think in the strictest sense he is not a vegetarian. When I suggested he just hunt his own steer or purchase free range meat he was not swayed.

Old 11-02-2008, 06:00 PM

703 posts, read 2,555,781 times
This is hilarious. Just two weeks ago, I was attending a upscale banquet dinner, where a 9 oz NY Strip steak was served with mash potato, green beans, and crab cake. This girl sitting across from me ate everything EXCEPT the NY Strip steak! I couldn't believe my eyes because that steak was so incredibly tasty, perfectly seasoned and cooked AND this girl just threw it away! What a waste! The cow is already dead and by refusing to eat what was served she completely wasted a perfectly good dinner! Here's the real kicker, the server even asked if anyone wanted the veggie menu!!!

Old 11-02-2008, 07:03 PM

192 posts, read 483,427 times
I'm an occasional fish eater who doesn't eat meat or poultry. I don't call myself a veg, but most days I am.

NewMexicanRepublican hit the nail on the head for me--it's the way the animals are farmed that disturbs me. For this reason, I'm all in favor of ethical hunting, some free range practices, and wild caught seafood... just not veal or chicken factories. I could never kill an animal myself, and really don't miss eating meat anyway.

Psychofan, that is such a good point. I hate to see meat go to waste; it seems worse than just eating and appreciating it (to me...true vegetarians would probably have a different view)! I've eaten a few servings over the years for that reason, but fortunately I usually have my husband with me at those events and he's always happy to have an extra helping!

Old 11-02-2008, 07:19 PM

2,542 posts, read 5,830,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuSuSushi View Post
I've never met a fish-eater who calls themselves a vegetarian. I don't think it's nearly as common as you're making it out to be.

I have met several and have always thought that there were several out there. I think they call themselves vegetarian because they are trying to make their way there. For some reason, fish is almost always the last to go from many veggies I have spoken with. Granted, that is still a small percentage. Fish was the last to go for me as well. I never cooked it at home, but would eat it at a restaurant once in awhile. Doing so allows people transitioning an easier time eating out. Of course, these days it is pretty easy to eat vegetarian while dining out. I would be curious just how many fish-eating vegetarians there are and if they are transitioning or stuck in fish-eating mode.

For me, I don't picture fish with blood. I really have no idea why. Perhaps because I have seen mammals butchered/cleaned, but rarely ever fish.

By the way, it was hearing Alan Sheppard speak that got me to give fish up finally (after six months of being "vegetarian"). I did have a regression when we lived in NH for a summer, but I OD on seafood, so I don't think I will ever regress again.

Old 11-02-2008, 07:59 PM

3,752 posts, read 5,110,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdonekings View Post
Pescetarianism is a dietary choice in which a person, known as a pescetarian, eats any combination of vegetables, fruit, nuts, beans and fish seafood, but will not eat mammals or birds. Some animal products like eggs and dairy may or may not be part of a pescetarian diet plan. or invertebrate.

vegetarian does not eat meat, fish or poultry, but eats eggs and milk. They eat eggs and products made with eggs in them, yogurt, cheese, milk and ice creams. Some may not eat eggs or cheese.

now we can all spot the difference, i as a vegan would not align pescetarian with vegetarians, what is a difference in eating a sea creature and a land animal?

I think the problem (if it's really a problem...not a big one, anyway) is that most people don't know the word pescetarian. I've been looking into this not-eating-animals business for years and somehow I'd managed not to have read anything about it. And I guess a lot of people who are truly vegetarian or vegan saw fish as the last to go from their diets. But I also think a lot of people don't eat mammals because they relate to them on some level and can't find that connection with fish. They call themselves vegetarians because they know only that term (it's thrown around so much).

It's interesting that you brought up that term because I've always wondered if there's an accurate one for those who don't eat chicken, turkey, etc., but are OK with eating fish. Oddly enough, I think fish (if fried just right) taste better than mammals, though I don't typically eat either one. Well, I guess I'm digressing.

Old 11-06-2008, 09:56 PM

830 posts, read 2,289,038 times
I identified myself for awhile as "a vegetarian", adding "except for occasional seafood" once in awhile. One reason, is, like the above poster said, nobody knows what a pescetarian is. It was quicker and more easily understandable to people who were planning what to cook or where to go out to eat for me to say I was vegetarian, or a vegetarian except for occasional seafood, than to say:

1.) "I'm a pescetarian. That means...."

or

2.) "I don't eat beef, pork, or poultry, but I do eat...".

Given that I didn't actually need anyone to serve me fish, it didn't matter to me that people would misunderstand and NOT serve me fish. Saying I was vegetarian was easy enough. They'd give me veggies and tofu and no fish and I'd still be happy. If they needed more options, I could add the part about the seafood being an occasional exception.

Most people don't think chickens are all that cute so I don't think the "cute animal" thing holds up, but there may be something about relating in ways to both mammals and birds that is different than fish. It does often seem to be the last part of the transition, it was for me.

As far as not eating meat that is already dead and served on your plate and will be otherwise wasted, sometimes when you're used to not eating meat and thinking about what meat is, it can give you the willies to consider the fact that you're biting the muscle of dead animal. Like eating worms. Or something.

Old 11-07-2008, 06:48 PM

25,165 posts, read 47,368,279 times
last time I checked a fish was a plant. So get off it

Old 11-08-2008, 11:15 PM

765 posts, read 1,682,904 times
From the Northwestern University Website:
Protein from animal sources (meat, fish, dairy products, egg white) is considered high biological value protein or a "complete" protein because all nine essential amino acids are present in these proteins. An exception to this rule is collagen-derived gelatin which is lacking in tryptophan.
Plant sources of protein (grains, legumes, nuts, and seeds) generally do not contain sufficient amounts of one or more of the essential amino acids. Thus protein synthesis can occur only to the extent that the limiting amino acids are available. These proteins are considered to have intermediate biological value or to be partially complete because, although consumed alone they do not meet the requirements for essential amino acids, they can be combined to provide amounts and proportions of essential amino acids equivalent to high biological proteins from animal sources.
Plants that are entirely lacking in essential amino acids are considered incomplete proteins or sources of low biological value protein. These sources include most fruits and vegetables. A low biological value means that it is difficult or impossible to compensate for insufficient amounts of essential amino acids by combining different sources as with partially complete proteins.
Now comes the fun part. If you have an essential amino acid deficiency your body your body needs to get the essentials aminos from somewhere - your body begins to cannabilise itself. This leads to a condition known as Protein-Energy Malnutrition (PEM)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates