U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-30-2008, 07:46 PM

276 posts, read 611,797 times

Advertisements

Pescetarianism is a dietary choice in which a person, known as a pescetarian, eats any combination of vegetables, fruit, nuts, beans and fish seafood, but will not eat mammals or birds. Some animal products like eggs and dairy may or may not be part of a pescetarian diet plan. or invertebrate.

vegetarian does not eat meat, fish or poultry, but eats eggs and milk. They eat eggs and products made with eggs in them, yogurt, cheese, milk and ice creams. Some may not eat eggs or cheese.

now we can all spot the difference, i as a vegan would not align pescetarian with vegetarians, what is a difference in eating a sea creature and a land animal?

Old 10-30-2008, 08:46 PM

3,031 posts, read 7,862,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdonekings View Post
what is a difference in eating a sea creature and a land animal?

Depends on why you're doing it. If you're doing it because you've got some sort of axe to grind about animal rights, then it seems rather silly to be a pescetarian.

If, however, you're doing it for health reasons, it makes sense. Fish as part of your diet can be quite beneficial. Far more beneficial than red meat or poultry, in fact.

Cultures that typically eat a lot of fish in their diet throughout their lifetime (many Asian cultures for example) have far less heart disease and a longer lifespan than cultures that eat a lot of red meat. However, they are not vegetarians by any stretch of the imagination.

Old 10-31-2008, 12:53 AM

95 posts, read 278,866 times
Quote:
but will not eat mammals or birds. Some animal products like eggs and dairy may or may not be part of a pescetarian diet plan. or invertebrate.

vegetarian does not eat meat, fish or poultry, but eats eggs and milk. They eat eggs and products made with eggs in them, yogurt, cheese, milk and ice creams. Some may not eat eggs or cheese.

now we can all spot the difference, i as a vegan would not align pescetarian with vegetarians, what is a difference in eating a sea creature and a land animal?

Quite frankly I love meat. I love red meat, white meat, sea food of all sorts (eel, shark, salmon, crab, lobster, shrimp) So my point of view may not be the same as that as a vegetarian or vegan but Ill take a stab at it.

These so called Pescetarians do not have a problem with eating meat like most vegetarians or vegans, they have a problem with eating animals deemed "cute". You know mammals! The ones that "deserve" not to be killed. That seems to be the mind set of these pescetarians, as well as many animal right activists

Old 10-31-2008, 06:31 AM

878 posts, read 1,845,775 times
Quote:
what is a difference in eating a sea creature and a land animal?
Land animals are, in general, more delicious than sea creatures.

Ever see fish bacon? I rest my case.

Old 10-31-2008, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLangben View Post
Quite frankly I love meat. I love red meat, white meat, sea food of all sorts (eel, shark, salmon, crab, lobster, shrimp) So my point of view may not be the same as that as a vegetarian or vegan but Ill take a stab at it.

These so called Pescetarians do not have a problem with eating meat like most vegetarians or vegans, they have a problem with eating animals deemed "cute". You know mammals! The ones that "deserve" not to be killed. That seems to be the mind set of these pescetarians, as well as many animal right activists
Not all pescetarians avoid eating meat just because it's "cute". A huge percentage of them do it because it's more healthful.

Old 10-31-2008, 11:06 AM

276 posts, read 611,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zman0 View Post
Land animals are, in general, more delicious than sea creatures.

Ever see fish bacon? I rest my case.
you don't get my point. Pescetarians are in the group of vegetarianism, but some of them align themselves with vegetarians, like lets say i am a vegan and i belong to types of vegetarian. Now that is a differen't vocabulary with a different meaning, so Pescetarian mustn't call themselves a vegetarian.

when i go out and i am being asked what kind of diet i am into, i would say vegan, why because people would expect me to eat diary products if i said i was a vegetarian. That is the same as Pescetarians who call themselves Vegetarians spoil the true meaning of it in our society.

what is is that when most vegetarians go out to eat or wedding, they are thought to be comfortable eating fish. why can't Pescetarians call themselves Pescatarian as a mandatory title, just like Vegans do that would minimize the confusion towards the public.

Old 10-31-2008, 11:43 AM

Quote:
what is is that when most vegetarians go out to eat or wedding, they are thought to be comfortable eating fish. why can't Pescetarians call themselves Pescatarian as a mandatory title, just like Vegans do that would minimize the confusion towards the public.
I've never met a fish-eater who calls themselves a vegetarian. I don't think it's nearly as common as you're making it out to be.

Old 10-31-2008, 12:54 PM

878 posts, read 1,845,775 times
Quote:
you don't get my point. Pescetarians are in the group of vegetarianism, but some of them align themselves with vegetarians, like lets say i am a vegan and i belong to types of vegetarian. Now that is a differen't vocabulary with a different meaning, so Pescetarian mustn't call themselves a vegetarian.
Actually I was making a joke. I don't think there is much difference between eating land and sea animals.

What is so hard about describing your diet as "I don't eat fish or dairy"?

When I am asked about my diet, I reply "red meat and bacon." I don't want a special label ("beefobacontarian"?) that only defines me and that no one else can use.

In the end, who really cares?

Old 10-31-2008, 04:47 PM

43,858 posts, read 43,559,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RLangben View Post
I love any sort of meat as well! I have one child, out of three, that became a vegetarian a couple of years ago. I also work with a few. From what I understand, they do chose this lifestyle due to 'feeling healthier'. I, however, ate my weight in shrimp this afternoon and am feeling a bit over stuffed. Perhaps they have a point.

Old 10-31-2008, 09:20 PM

5,230 posts, read 7,318,833 times
Quote:
why should fish eaters call themselves Vegetarians
They shouldn't, unless they grow fish in their garden.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates