U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-18-2008, 08:12 AM

3,700 posts, read 3,857,674 times

Advertisements

Legalize drugs.

Considering most problems with drugs come directly and indirectly from them being illegal (high costs, organized crime and street gangs, impure products, etc.) legalizing them would be an improvement.

Not saying their wouldn't be any problems, whatever you decide to do, there will be problems that result from it, but considering that junkies will no longer be paying $80 to $300 a day for heroin (where do you think they get the money?) and gangs will not be so obsessed with their little street corner when it is no longer yielding several thousand dollars in drug sales.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2008, 09:25 PM

43,858 posts, read 41,327,695 times
I am now 50. All the people my age who continued to use drugs through out their adulthood all became irresponsible morons.

Old 11-19-2008, 11:09 PM

11,896 posts, read 23,525,126 times
A friend of mine has a crackhead for a cousin. We were hanging out the other day when his grandmother calls. Turns out the crackhead cousin owes his dealer money, and has been sleeping at his grandmother's house lately. The dealer is threatening to shoot his grandmother's house up if the debt isn't repaid. The grandmother is not involved in drugs beyond giving her idiot grandson a roof over his head, however ill-advised that may be.

Sooner or later people have to accept the fact that crackheads are going to be crackheads no matter what's legal and what's not, but that the organized crime element endangers even more lives.

Old 11-20-2008, 07:12 AM

1,555 posts, read 3,479,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GloryB View Post
I am now 50. All the people my age who continued to use drugs through out their adulthood all became irresponsible morons.
Not true in my experience. I'm not that much younger than you and I'm a musician. I've worked with musicians of all ages for most of my life, and many of them have done some drug(s) or another for most of their lives. The percentage of them that I'd classify as "irresponsible morons" doesn't seem any higher than for those of us who do not use drugs.

Old 11-20-2008, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
The dealer is threatening to shoot his grandmother's house up if the debt isn't repaid . . . the organized crime element endangers even more lives.
If someone's house is shot up, that's not caused by drugs. It's caused by whoever pulled the trigger deciding to pull the trigger. They weren't physically forced to take that action. It's a choice.

Old 12-08-2008, 11:03 AM

9 posts, read 30,802 times
i live in phoenix and the meth problem is out of control but if it was legal I still would not do it. And in phoenix you have what alot of drug dealers call the gateway state so much weed coke and meth come through phoenix it is rediculous and the people that are benefiting from the drug trade are the criminals and the sheriff the rest of us are victims to it because it is illegal I think we can take the money from the cartels and criminals alike and put it to work in our communities because legal or not I can get any drug known to man in less than an hour and any quantity. So harder laws arent going to help we should take this billion dollar black market and make it legit the customers are already there some of them are reading this right now. Lets stop letting fear destroy our free thinking minds the drugs are already here lets save our economy.

Old 12-08-2008, 04:48 PM

2,518 posts, read 1,657,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. REO View Post
Lets stop letting fear destroy our free thinking minds the drugs are already here lets save our economy.
Do any of the prohibitionists realize that alcohol prohibition sent the economy into a tailspin in the 1920s and when it was repealed in the 30s is when the economy started to recover? Say the US spends only $5,000,000,000 a year on drugs (a VERY conservative estimate considering that Pablo Escobar was supposedly worth $7,000,000,000 at his peak), all of that money is LEAVING THE ECONOMY and going to the black market, which is generally controlled by murderers and warlords. Legalize and tax it at 20%, not only does the original 5 billion remain in the market, but another 1 billion in tax revenue is also thrust into the market. All prohibition does is give criminals a way to fund their activities. After all, would you say that Anheuser-Busch, Miller and Coors are criminal organizations? Between the three of them, they generate around 25,000,000,000 in Annual revenue and directly employ 100,000 workers while indirectly employing at least a million more through bartenders, truck drivers, distributors, liquor store owners and workers, advertising executives, etc. Simply put, our economy is very much in debt to the legalization of Alcohol, imagine how much economic activity would be generated by legalization of all drugs.

Old 12-09-2008, 10:51 PM

8 posts, read 17,042 times
Tungsten Udder and Leftydan have both given some good arguments for and against legalizing drugs. I have to agree with Dan because taking the money out of the action would help decrease drug crimes, cut what the government spends every year in its futile war against them and something has to be done about putting people in prison for drugs. Our prisons are bulging with inmates and are the opposite of rehabilitating. There has to be better ways to deal with this problem. The thing is, all people think about is locking up the druggies and pouring more and more money down the drain of drug criminalization. Legalization would take away the drug lords. They're not going to be dealing if there is no big profits anymore. Yes, Tungsten is right that a lot of horrible things are done by people who are high on drugs. But those things are being done now anyway, with drugs illegal. And I don't believe legalizing drugs would turn more people into drug addicts. They have to be looking for something to take away what's hurting; they have problems with life in some way that tempts them to start in the first place. I went to schools that were full of kids that were taking drugs, but I never was even tempted. A few tokes of pot in my 20s at parties was my limit. And I think I'm like most people. Sometimes doing something that's illegal is a draw to a person, and that thrill would be gone. Prohibition doesn't work.

Old 12-16-2008, 01:32 PM

339 posts, read 600,881 times
Welllllllllhelllllhel. Looky here. Your end-all-be-all reference material for the legalization of drugs isn't looking too promising any longer. "The promised land" apparently is figuring out the phrase "be careful what you wish for".

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worl...-up-image.html

Old 12-17-2008, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDTD View Post
Welllllllllhelllllhel. Looky here. Your end-all-be-all reference material for the legalization of drugs isn't looking too promising any longer. "The promised land" apparently is figuring out the phrase "be careful what you wish for".

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/netherlands/3777696/Holland-scrapping-liberal-policies-on-drugs-and-brothels-to-clean-up-image.html
Very depressing news to me . . . the views of the "mainstream" have continued to diverge more and more from my own views throughout my life . . . and I really don't expect it to get better any time soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates