U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 12-29-2008, 06:23 PM
 
Location: Pensacola, Fl
656 posts, read 951,494 times
Reputation: 373

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by winterscorpion View Post

Tell your little elephant friends to get in line....


As long as I have a say so and a vote, your pipe dream of having a society of stoners will never become a reality.

'Nuff said

Peace
Winter
Wake up and smell the coffee winterscorpion. We already have a society of stoners, addicts, offenders, etc, etc, etc. No one is trying to add to those numbers. We are simply looking for the quickest, logical, and most efficient way to solve this "War on Drugs." If we ended this war on drugs and legalized them all, we could use that ton of money not spent to invest in rehab centers and educate people on why they shouldn't use drugs. All you are truly doing by supporting this "war" is fueling the cartels and pushers who stay in business because of prohibition.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-29-2008, 07:50 PM
 
Location: Heartland Florida
9,324 posts, read 23,230,141 times
Reputation: 4895
My friends and I are all opposed to drug prohibition and none of us are drug users. I believe that drug use should only be when absolutely necessary. However, I am a firm believer in the Constitution and the concept of freedom. Policies like drug prohibition are barriers to a free and just society. The goal should be to have the citizens hold the power over their own lives and have Govenment as an overseer to protect freedoms. If Government is our nanny, we will all fail. To get the open, educated society we need, all blanket prohibitions need to be removed. All crimes should be defined as those acts which deny freedoms from at least one person. Eventually I would like to see the prison system reformed so only the mentally ill or those working to repay victims will be incarcerated. Of course I do support the death penalty for capital crimes and for prosecutors who wrongfully send the innocent to their end. We need more freedom and let's start by removing this unconstitutional prohibition.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-29-2008, 10:03 PM
 
Location: The Shires
2,257 posts, read 1,721,997 times
Reputation: 1050
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
My friends and I are all opposed to drug prohibition and none of us are drug users. I believe that drug use should only be when absolutely necessary. However, I am a firm believer in the Constitution and the concept of freedom. Policies like drug prohibition are barriers to a free and just society. The goal should be to have the citizens hold the power over their own lives and have Govenment as an overseer to protect freedoms. If Government is our nanny, we will all fail. To get the open, educated society we need, all blanket prohibitions need to be removed. All crimes should be defined as those acts which deny freedoms from at least one person. Eventually I would like to see the prison system reformed so only the mentally ill or those working to repay victims will be incarcerated. Of course I do support the death penalty for capital crimes and for prosecutors who wrongfully send the innocent to their end. We need more freedom and let's start by removing this unconstitutional prohibition.
People need to stop looking to the government to fill a sort of "nanny" role. Not only is that extremely dangerous (giving more power over us to the government), but it's a sign of weakness.

Be your own person -- don't give the government too much power, or they'll abuse it.

If people want to take drugs, let them.....who cares? Make all drugs legal, but if people *choose* to ruin their lives by taking addictive substances, let's not bail them out, or waste millions of dollars of taxpayers' money throwing them in jail.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-29-2008, 10:27 PM
 
613 posts, read 1,153,980 times
Reputation: 187
[quote=winterscorpion;6750042]
Quote:
Originally Posted by allah truth View Post

Tell your little elephant friends to get in line....


As long as I have a say so and a vote, your pipe dream of having a society of stoners will never become a reality.

'Nuff said

Peace
Winter
Your saying a lot of people dont like you? I like you. I punched frank(the pink elephant) in the trunk for talking trash. Ha. but you seem to be a good person. You're very caring and passionate about what you believe in. All I'm saying is you're a little misinformed and you're unintentially providing the means by which terrorists, gangs, and various scum baggs are funded. The sad part is no one is protected by prohibition. As long as this is evident to me I'll bare witness to it. I encourage you to provide enough good to out weigh the bad that prohibition causes. Does it do any good?

Yes everybody must get stoned. Then everyone will be sucked into doing heroin. Then I will be able to rule the world. Muahaha!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-30-2008, 06:29 AM
 
1,570 posts, read 1,601,726 times
Reputation: 461
There are two things young and old people will always do. Thats promiscuous sex and drugs. Its a phase by legalizing both and bringing regulation you can control costs AND diseases. By being more open about drugs and sex you make both seem rather unexciting or boring. Thereby less people will actually try drugs to fit in and more people will use condoms, rather than birth control. Which will bring down accidental births and diseases, so far more than half of all the 18-25population will get at least one STD. You also have to remember by adulthood a quarter of the population will have genital herpes. And 82% of the female population will be carriers of HPV. Stop tabooing things most humans will always do and watch people be more mature about these subjects.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-30-2008, 06:35 AM
 
Location: West Texas
2,441 posts, read 5,245,515 times
Reputation: 3094
Quote:
Originally Posted by 60-minutes-II View Post
Its a phase by legalizing both and bringing regulation you can control costs AND diseases. By being more open about drugs and sex you make both seem rather unexciting or boring. Thereby less people will actually try drugs to fit in and more people will use condoms, rather than birth control. Which will bring down accidental births and diseases, so far more than half of all the 18-25population will get at least one STD. You also have to remember by adulthood a quarter of the population will have genital herpes. And 82% of the female population will be carriers of HPV. Stop tabooing things most humans will always do and watch people be more mature about these subjects.
From what I've seen, (and I could be way off the mark here) the public school system in most states offer free contraceptives upon request; and, the mass acceptance of sex in TV and movies should have had this "deglamorizing" effect on sex in society. And things are taught much more in depth than I received in sex ed in school. But, teen pregnancies continue to rise. What do you base your argument on, because all this leads to the converse of what you said in your post. Am I missing something here.

And... I'll be the broken record here. The one thing people neglect to address in glamorizing drug legalization is the innocent deaths that will occur. And if ANYONE says it won't happen, I'll call you a moron now. Is alcohol a drug? Does alcohol impair the decision-making process of the brain? Does it impair the brain in any capacity? Are there alcohol related deaths (outside of the person who drank)? Do the drugs that exist now that are illegal (marijuana, crack, cocaine, heroin, LSD, methamphetamines, PCP, etc.) do the same thing (in different levels and capacity)? The answer to all of these is "yes." So, will all that money (these greedy drug-endorsing people want for the "liberation of society") go to the families of the innocent who will face the deaths because "getting high is more important than protecting lives"? I hope so. And I hope it's in the billions the government pays out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-30-2008, 07:14 AM
 
1,570 posts, read 1,601,726 times
Reputation: 461
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rathagos View Post
From what I've seen, (and I could be way off the mark here) the public school system in most states offer free contraceptives upon request; and, the mass acceptance of sex in TV and movies should have had this "deglamorizing" effect on sex in society. And things are taught much more in depth than I received in sex ed in school. But, teen pregnancies continue to rise. What do you base your argument on, because all this leads to the converse of what you said in your post. Am I missing something here.
I could be very wrong here, which might anger some of you. But its from my experience with some friends or assciates. The major problem lies in parents. When conversations are brought up that should be serious. The parent wants to have a one to one talk but doesn't want to be a parent but a friend. And they always drop the one lines like, "oh don't forget to use a condom". Also, the parent(s) can't stop having talk with thier children about sex. It shouldn't be a one conversation sort of thing. Because when you are young A LOT of talk about sex will happen between you and your friends and some teachers will mention things. But because the youth don't have the dad or mom who always talks about sex openly. When they DO have sex protection is rarely used. And this is even after the schools have condoms if you ask for them.
Quote:
And... I'll be the broken record here. The one thing people neglect to address in glamorizing drug legalization is the innocent deaths that will occur. And if ANYONE says it won't happen, I'll call you a moron now. Is alcohol a drug? Does alcohol impair the decision-making process of the brain? Does it impair the brain in any capacity? Are there alcohol related deaths (outside of the person who drank)? Do the drugs that exist now that are illegal (marijuana, crack, cocaine, heroin, LSD, methamphetamines, PCP, etc.) do the same thing (in different levels and capacity)? The answer to all of these is "yes." So, will all that money (these greedy drug-endorsing people want for the "liberation of society") go to the families of the innocent who will face the deaths because "getting high is more important than protecting lives"? I hope so. And I hope it's in the billions the government pays out.
I understand that their will be deaths with having drugs legalized but are those same deaths not occuring right now with drugs illegal? Won't we have fewer deaths because many gangs will have nothing to fight about. If you take away easy money from gangs many members might turn into turncoats or might leave. Which would ruin the gang culture. At this moment, there are over a million gangbangers supported by an american consumer who loves their drugs. Legalize the drugs and watch the adults who use to go to gang bangers for drugs go to stores. And those youths who wan't to use drugs well they will manage to get it like they do with alcohol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-30-2008, 08:17 AM
 
Location: West Texas
2,441 posts, read 5,245,515 times
Reputation: 3094
Quote:
Originally Posted by 60-minutes-II View Post
I could be very wrong here, which might anger some of you. But its from my experience with some friends or assciates. The major problem lies in parents. When conversations are brought up that should be serious. The parent wants to have a one to one talk but doesn't want to be a parent but a friend. And they always drop the one lines like, "oh don't forget to use a condom". Also, the parent(s) can't stop having talk with thier children about sex. It shouldn't be a one conversation sort of thing. Because when you are young A LOT of talk about sex will happen between you and your friends and some teachers will mention things. But because the youth don't have the dad or mom who always talks about sex openly. When they DO have sex protection is rarely used. And this is even after the schools have condoms if you ask for them.
I couldn't agree more. I think most of societal problems (as well as academic) are the result of bad parenting. How many teachers only teach (as they are supposed to be paid to do)? What the curriculum? In many states, teachers only teach the test that the state will require the students to pass. Why is this? Because the school gets funding based on performance of the students on those tests. Why is this? Because students were graduating without basic knowledge prescribed by education boards. Why is this? Because parents are reinforcing the importance of education. It all comes back to parenting. The same is true for most problems, if you look at them. I think you hit the nail on the head here, 60MII.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 60-minutes-II View Post
I understand that their will be deaths with having drugs legalized but are those same deaths not occuring right now with drugs illegal? Won't we have fewer deaths because many gangs will have nothing to fight about. If you take away easy money from gangs many members might turn into turncoats or might leave. Which would ruin the gang culture. At this moment, there are over a million gangbangers supported by an american consumer who loves their drugs. Legalize the drugs and watch the adults who use to go to gang bangers for drugs go to stores. And those youths who wan't to use drugs well they will manage to get it like they do with alcohol.
Okay... I know I will be bashed for this, but who cares about those killing each other now over drugs? Most people working in gangs or cartels are not there because they got overlooked in the college they wanted, or because the local store wouldn't hire them as baggers, etc. They are "bad" people who will (possibly forever) make bad choices in life.

If anyone thinks any of the cartels or gangs dealing in marijuana will just disappear if marijuana becomes legal is fooling themselves. They do it for the money. Not that "marijuana should be legal, and since it's not we'll sell it anyway!!" They do it BECAUSE it is legal, not in spite of it. Marijuana becomes illegal today, and they simply switch to (pick the drug: cocaine, crack, heroin, methamphetamine) production, manufacturing and distributing. They're in it for the money, not the market. And they will continue to kill each other over it (the money and the market), and we will have done nothing but legalize another way for people to impair themselves and potentially kill innocent people.

And, still I ask... for what? For the "right" to get high? Don't we have more important things to worry about in America than someone's right to get high? Rights for health care, rights for education, rights for whatever. Getting high should be the last thing we discuss as a society. I don't know what's worse: the fact that it's as high profile as it is should almost be an embarassment to our society, or the fact that our society isn't embarassed about it???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-30-2008, 10:46 AM
 
Location: Wandering the halls aimlessly...Hello? Is anyone there?
307 posts, read 408,437 times
Reputation: 129
Default Yeah....right!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kb09 View Post
Wake up and smell the coffee winterscorpion. We already have a society of stoners, addicts, offenders, etc, etc, etc. No one is trying to add to those numbers. We are simply looking for the quickest, logical, and most efficient way to solve this "War on Drugs." If we ended this war on drugs and legalized them all, we could use that ton of money not spent to invest in rehab centers and educate people on why they shouldn't use drugs. All you are truly doing by supporting this "war" is fueling the cartels and pushers who stay in business because of prohibition.

Keep believing your own rhetoric....I know better. Drug cartels....yeah Miami Vice...go with your bad self.

Alcohol is a destructive component in society. I cant argue that. The fact still remains that its LEGAL. You may not feel that it should be, but until they bring back prohibition, we are all going to have to deal with it.

As long as there is a demand for something there will be those who take advantage of that demand. That goes for chocolate, peanuts, vegiies and a whole host of other things. Last time I checked none of those took the life of the user, prompted others to commit acts of atrocities against man kind, and left the user in a stupor much like a walking Zombie. Yeah lets legalize drugs....a real no brainer there !

One other thing...in War most of the time you know your enemies. The drug issue stopped being a war a long time ago. Its now an epidemic and the sad thing is that its having some horrific long standing effects on our communities and the children who inhabit them.

Its not about politics, views, money, or keeping anyone down. Its about having enough common sense to realize that allowing any substance to be manufactured and sold for the sole purpose of getting high, would be a msitake in an of itself. You think we would have learned that lesson given all the deaths attributed to Alcohol each year.

Drugs are illegal for a reason and they should stay that way.
Say Hi to Crockett and Tubbs for me will ya?

Peace
Winter
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-30-2008, 10:58 AM
 
Location: Wandering the halls aimlessly...Hello? Is anyone there?
307 posts, read 408,437 times
Reputation: 129
Thumbs up Finally a voice of reason!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rathagos View Post
From what I've seen, (and I could be way off the mark here) the public school system in most states offer free contraceptives upon request; and, the mass acceptance of sex in TV and movies should have had this "deglamorizing" effect on sex in society. And things are taught much more in depth than I received in sex ed in school. But, teen pregnancies continue to rise. What do you base your argument on, because all this leads to the converse of what you said in your post. Am I missing something here.

And... I'll be the broken record here. The one thing people neglect to address in glamorizing drug legalization is the innocent deaths that will occur. And if ANYONE says it won't happen, I'll call you a moron now. Is alcohol a drug? Does alcohol impair the decision-making process of the brain? Does it impair the brain in any capacity? Are there alcohol related deaths (outside of the person who drank)? Do the drugs that exist now that are illegal (marijuana, crack, cocaine, heroin, LSD, methamphetamines, PCP, etc.) do the same thing (in different levels and capacity)? The answer to all of these is "yes." So, will all that money (these greedy drug-endorsing people want for the "liberation of society") go to the families of the innocent who will face the deaths because "getting high is more important than protecting lives"? I hope so. And I hope it's in the billions the government pays out.
All I can say is finally someone has put this in perspective doing so in an eloquent manner. I'd rep ya again if I could! Thanks

Winter
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top