U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-17-2009, 08:40 AM
 
1,143 posts, read 1,469,035 times
Reputation: 1102

Advertisements

Ending the prohibition on all drugs is a great idea.
This will go a long way to reducing the population and the stresses on the environment that a large population brings. The faster we can remove (by their own hand) large segments of the population that want to "check out" the better off the rest of us will be....
And while we're at it we may as well end all prohibitions against any type of sexual act....since making any sex-act illegal only encourages it.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-17-2009, 10:11 AM
 
Location: Pensacola, Fl
656 posts, read 905,016 times
Reputation: 372
Quote:
Originally Posted by winterscorpion View Post
First things first...
I am neither Hard Right or Hard Left...I'm somewhere in the middle. I do not agree with you attributing ones personal convictions regarding the legalization of illicit substances (Drugs) to that of a Nazi or Dictator regime. In otherwords your wrong...period. Debating is one thing, attacking someone on such a personal level is something else. Perhaps someone needs to educate you a little....
First things first...
I wasn't attacking anyone. I was rebutting what JDTD said about left leaning people ("It's typical though. When someone doesn't agree with a leftist view on something (and I don't completely disagree with many and don't completely disagree with even this one), most people on that spectrum just cry "Nazi" or "dictator" and expect everyone else to agree out of intimidation"). I responded with a generalized version of what a right leaning person would say (same as what he did). Do I believe that all people on the right side of the political spectrum say that? No; I don't think half of the people on the right would say that. I said that to show that not all people (right or left) resort to name calling and low-blowing when someone doesn't agree with them. And miss, aren't you insulting me when you say that I need to educate myself a little?? The kind of tone I get from you saying that is of someone who thinks they are better and brighter than me (condescending) and they think that I'm too uneducated (stupid) to understand what they are saying. You make a comment like that after you are through chastizing me on a rhetorical statement I made to prove a point?

Quote:
Originally Posted by winterscorpion View Post
A. Madatory minimums, in theory, are a great idea, but they dont work and heres why. You see if they gave every person charged with a drug offense from the very large to the very small possession minimum sentences, our prison system would be crammed with these folks leaving little to no room for the more severe offenses. Now dont misunderstand me here. I am AGAINST the legalization of drugs period. However they tried the minimum maximum sentences for many other crimes and it doesnt equate to the equal distribution of justice. If your a Drug trafficker and have been one for some time, more than likely you've built up a tidy little nest egg somewhere where the US GOV cant seize it. Now you get caught and you have access to the best lawyers out there and you have the financial resources to tie the case up in court for, lets say the next five to six years. See where I'm going with this? Point is that the hard core drug dealer who is subject to mandatory sentences gets off because of his ability to pay top dollar while the lay dealer or one who was looking for a quick buck gets the shaft because of his inability to pay for his freedom. Dont get wrong, they both are scumbags, however the worse of the two skates away. Justice is bought....not served a lot of times in this country. Just an obvious fact of life I guess...moving on....
A. That's a kink with our justice system. I truly don't know how to solve that problem; everyone is entitled to a fair trial and to make it so the kingpins get convicted and stay behind bars we would have to resort to some unfairness in some cases.

Quote:
Originally Posted by winterscorpion View Post
B. The argument for legalizing street drugs is a foolhearty one at best. Some have cited financial gain while others have cited that thier experiences have been both uplifting and mind altering. Classic. What possible financial gain could there be from getting both adults and children alike addicted to cocaine, heroin, or any other substances? They become dependant on it, all the while the drug destroys them from the inside out. Its bad enough that alcohol has been responsible for so many deaths, you want to legalize much harder substances and make them readily available to the population? Yeah I want people driving a 3500 pound automobile around high on LSD, Heroin, Cocaine etc. Who'd of thunk it I can hear the rebuttal now....They do it anyways. Yeah they do, but now you want to add to the already growing problem?
B. Here's the thing: It's already readily available to the population as is. I know, I know; the women, the children, the carnage, the addiction will all come from legalizing drugs. But what about the carnage and addiction that happen now while drugs are illegal?? Do they just not count?? I know, I know, you don't want to add to those numbers, but, the numbers are growing and the drugs are still illegal! I believe in harm reduction. I would love it if everybody would stop smoking crack, shooting up heroin, and snorting cocaine; but I know that's a pipe dream. We can never get rid of the statistic, but we can reduce it. You see what happened with the decline of cigarettes? Everyone used to do it because it was considered 'cool' and 'in.' But, as new studies came out about the drug, more and more people quit. And look at today, we have groups like TRUTH that teach us about the negative side effects of smoking and make it entertaining to watch. More than ever we have people who are putting down the cigarette and finding better ways to relieve stress. But, we still have a group of people that smoke, regardless of the health effects. IMO, TRUTH and other non-smoking organizations have had great success in proving that harm reduction works. Why can't we do the same for meth? For coke? For LSD? For heroin? For crack? Why can't we try to educate the public on these drugs? Why can't we stop glamorizing drugs and making them seem better than what they are? I don't know the answer to that question, but I know what we are doing right now isn't working. We keep trying the same thing, the same way and expect different results. Doesn't that seem like asinine thinking to you??

Quote:
Originally Posted by winterscorpion View Post
C. There are all kinds of cases all over the internet that disprove the legalization theory. I've said over and over again, as long as I have a say so and as long as I have my police powers Drugs will not be tolerated. I dont care what the excuse, personal belief, or political point of view. They are illegal for many reasons and until you expose yourself to many of the things I have seen after one ingests these substances, you'll never really know. Sorry bud, I aint buying what your selling (Which just happens to be a load of crap) so please shovel it somewhere else.
Getting Off Drugs: The Legalization Option
25 Reasons To Legalize Drugs - BrooWaha San Francisco (http://sf.broowaha.com/article.php?id=2711 - broken link)
Legalize Every Drug - June 18, 2008 - The New York SunThinking about Drug Legalization

C. I've provided my links; your turn. And why do you feel the need to constantly disrespect and undermine what I think is just? Have I ever called what you believe to be just "a load of crap?" It's hard to try to respect someone's view's when they are constantly undermining what you think is right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by winterscorpion View Post
One last thing and then I'll brace myself for your insults and innuendos...lol. I am for trying anything that will help steer a wayward sole back to the path of righteousness. If Drug Court's numbers prove time and time again that they can curtail illegal activity before it gets out of hand, then I support it. I have no problem paying taxes for it. I would also like to encourage, once again, your participation in helping researchers and developers find drugs that will cure cancer, diabetes, and heart disease. These are causes worthy of your time and energy. And heres the bonus...you get to help save a life, not wreck one.
I think I can decide for myself what cause I deem worthy enough for my time; I don't need you or anyone else to tell me; I can think for myself if you don't mind. Thanks for the suggestion though.

P.S. diabetes and heart disease can be cured by eating healthy; it's a lifestyle choice, just like drugs in fact (well wouldn't ya know ).

Cancer? Still working on that one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 - Top