U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2008, 02:31 PM

1,949 posts, read 4,451,823 times

Advertisements

a picture of a junky is not an arguement for the continued prohibition of drugs. and you have yet to dispute the fact that the ravages of illegal drugs upon individuals and upon society have occurred up to this point in spite of the fact that they have been deemed illegal. you also cannot dispute the fact that the "war on drugs" is a futile waste of money and effort.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2008, 04:15 PM

765 posts, read 1,611,240 times
Not only have i given example of what drugs do to your body i have also gave you the data and stats to back them up. So if a person cannot look at the data and see just how bad legalized drugs would be is just obtuse. I have to pay taxes to support you lazy dopers as it is why would anyone want to create more junkies to be a burden on society?

Old 11-08-2008, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tungsten_Udder View Post
I'm not sure I'd call copying and pasting--especially not copying and pasting photos, lists of links, etc. an argument.
It's called proving a argument with FACTS somthing you fail to do time after time...

Old 11-08-2008, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elvislives View Post
I have to pay taxes to support you lazy dopers as it is why would anyone want to create more junkies to be a burden on society?
lazy dopers? you lazy dopers? i'm a lazy doper? you have your opinion - an opionion that has been beaten into you by your society. it is not based on any knowledge or experience.

i am a Federal Law Enforcement Officer who knows first hand how wasteful and futile is the "war against drugs." due to the prohibition of drugs and the potential cash value of illegal drugs and the typically long prison sentences for drug offenses, my life is often needlessly on the line when it comes to instances of drug trafficking.

you want to win the war against the drug cartels - legalize drugs. that is the only way to put them out of business. you really think non violent users of controlled substances belong in prison? you really think prohibition keeps people from consuming controlled substances?

Old 11-08-2008, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linson View Post
lazy dopers? you lazy dopers? i'm a lazy doper? you have your opinion - an opionion that has been beaten into you by your society. it is not based on any knowledge or experience.

i am a Federal Law Enforcement Officer who knows first hand how wasteful and futile is the "war against drugs." due to the prohibition of drugs and the potential cash value of illegal drugs and the typically long prison sentences for drug offenses, my life is often needlessly on the line when it comes to instances of drug trafficking.

you want to win the war against the drug cartels - legalize drugs. that is the only way to put them out of business. you really think non violent users of controlled substances belong in prison? you really think prohibition keeps people from consuming controlled substances?
Apparently you still bring nothing to the table you bring no proof no facts... nothing but a cop groupie fantasy and a bunch of unsubstantated opinions.

Old 11-08-2008, 05:00 PM

8,652 posts, read 13,988,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tungsten_Udder View Post
Are you one of those guys who doesn't really answer questions?
You've never heard "A picture is worth a thousand words."?

Old 11-08-2008, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Apparently you still bring nothing to the table you bring no proof no facts... nothing but a cop groupie fantasy and a bunch of unsubstantated opinions.
excuse me? what does this statement mean? are you saying that i do not do for a living what i say i do? is that the point youre trying to make?

btw, i said i was a Federal Law Enforcement Officer. i am not a "cop" or a groupie.

again, do you really think that non-violent users of illicit drugs belong behind bars?

do you really think that prohibition of drugs has kept people from obtaining and consuming them?

you think Americans need all those legal prescription mood altering drugs that you see advertised?

Old 11-08-2008, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linson View Post
excuse me? what does this statement mean? are you saying that i do not do for a living what i say i do? is that the point youre trying to make?

btw, i said i was a Federal Law Enforcement Officer. i am not a "cop" or a groupie.

again, do you really think that non-violent users of illicit drugs belong behind bars?

do you really think that prohibition of drugs has kept people from obtaining and consuming them?

you think Americans need all those legal prescription mood altering drugs that you see advertised?
Here is the plan of what they are doing abohttp://www.whitehousedrugpolicy.gov/publications/policy/ndcs06/disrupt_mkt.htmlut the drug plan .....

Old 11-08-2008, 07:03 PM

[quote=Linson;6074794]excuse me? what does this statement mean? are you saying that i do not do for a living what i say i do? is that the point youre trying to make?

Illegal drugs—and here I refer chiefly to cocaine, heroin, PCP, and methamphetamine—have three prices that are much higher than what they would be if the sale were legal.
First, under legalization the cash price would be lower. No one knows by how much, but the most cautious scholar says by a factor of three, the boldest one says by a factor of 20. Now take a powerfully addictive substance, one that not only operates on but modifies the human brain by producing compelling effects that often can only be achieved again by increasing the dosage, and ask how many more people would buy it if its cash price were only 30 percent or even 5 percent of its current price. Unless you think that everybody who wants the drug is already using it, a most unlikely possibility, then the answer must be—a lot.
Second, under legalization the quality price would be lower. Drugs are now purchased in most cases from people who offer no meaningful promise of quality. You can buy cocaine or heroin that has been cut five times or 20 times, and cut with sugar or rat poison. The Food and Drug Administration does not require accurate labeling, and unless you are a repeat customer, you probably have no idea what you are getting. Feel like taking a chance? Buy a drug from the furtive fellow on the street corner.
Third, under legalization the search price would be zero. You would not have to search or run risks of being mugged or arrested. Maybe you would be able to buy it in the local pharmacy, but you would get it from some dealer operating in the open with no risk to you.
Cut all of these three prices—the cash cost, the risk of not getting a decent quality, and the absence of searching and running risks—and the total price reduction would not be by a factor of 20 but probably by a factor of 50. Consumption will go up dramatically.
Now what happens? Here is where the only meaningful debate can exist. Do you think that there will be a decrease in drug crime? Maybe—if the crime committed by users seeking money to buy drugs and the dealers protecting their right to sell drugs falls by an amount greater than the increase in crime committed by addicted users who are no longer capable of holding a job. Not all coke or heroin addicts are incapacitated, but a significant fraction—perhaps one-fifth, perhaps more—are. Say we have 1 million users now, with 200,000 of them so dependent on the drug that they are useless for any activity, including holding a job. Now suppose after legalization we have 5 million users, with 1 million totally zonked.
We can support the 1 million on welfare, though I think the political chance of that is utterly remote. Or we can let them fend for themselves by stealing. They may well steal more than the 200,000 steal when the price of drugs is much higher. Take a guess. But remember that after we create the 1 million, we can't turn the clock back. We shall have them forever.
Or to take another example. Suppose we have 15,000 people killed by drunken drivers. How many will be killed by coke- or heroin-addicted drivers if access to those products becomes as easy as access to alcohol is now? There is no way to tell, but it would be foolish to assume that the number would be trivial.
Or ask how many marriages, now afflicted by alcoholism, will be afflicted by drug abuse when drugs become legal. Or how many pregnancies that now are harmed by fetal alcohol syndrome will be harmed by fetal drug syndrome.
Recall also that most people in drug treatment are there because of some form of coercion. Very few walk in on their own. Take away coercion, and you take away treatment for all but a few burned-out addicts.
John Stuart Mill, the father of modern libertarians, argued that people can only restrict the freedom of another for their self-protection, and society can only exert power over its members against their will in order to prevent harm to others. I think that the harm to others from drug legalization will be greater than the harm—and it is a great harm—that now exists from keeping these drugs illegal http://www.slate.com/id/88934/

Last edited by elvislives; 11-08-2008 at 07:20 PM..

Old 11-08-2008, 07:18 PM

Quote:
firstly, i want to thank you for answering none of my direct questions.

secondly, this link you provided - this has got to be 50 pages. your critics on this forum seem to have a point when they bring up the fact that rather than directly answer questions, you post a link (very lengthy, i might add) to someone else's work or someone else's opinion.

you provided me with a link to some 40 or 50 pages that i can read, stating "here is what is being done about it." my question wasnt "what was being done" about anything. my questions to you were about your positions on if you think i am lying about what i do for a living, since you lump everybody who is against the prohibition of drugs into the single category of "you lazy dopers". and if you actually think that non-violent recreational users (and abusers for that matter) of drugs deserve to be put into prison - and what difference you see in controlled substances such as marijuanna and cocaine, and the legally obtained mood altering drugs that we are told to ask our doctor about if you wake up feeling incontent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates