U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-08-2008, 10:47 PM

765 posts, read 1,604,677 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
Thanks for the rambling non-answer that isn't even yours.

You do realize I can do my own cut-and-paste to figure out where you're getting this stuff, right?
duhhhh follow the links.......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2008, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Do you have any thoughts of your own? And where do you think I know where you're getting this stuff? (Hint: it's a popular search engine that you just mentioned.)

By the way, you did not link or credit the source of your previous post, the one that was supposed to answer my question since you are seemingly incapable of doing it on your own.
Why not use the data that people like you cannot defend lets see your proof ...
where are the facts and figures??? i have found just as many sites for legalizing drugs as against? I"ll give you a hint www.google.com www.yahoo.com www.jeeves.com

Old 11-08-2008, 10:54 PM

11,896 posts, read 23,429,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elvislives View Post
duhhhh follow the links.......
So do you have an answer to my question yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81
And why would cocaine supply increase if drug prohibition (which reached an apex in the Reagan administration) was working?
I would like an original answer, not something you regurgitated from someone else.

PS - nice smileys. Don't know if the little guy flipping the bird is gonna fly for long here though.

Old 11-08-2008, 11:05 PM

The Netherlands Compared With The United States | Drug War Facts

Here's some "facts and figures" since that's what you want.

Mind you, the Netherlands is sort of in a halfway-there state when it comes to a non-prohibition approach to drugs.

Old 11-08-2008, 11:19 PM

3,689 posts, read 8,814,366 times
Quote:
The Netherlands Compared With The United States | Drug War Facts

Here's some "facts and figures" since that's what you want.

Mind you, the Netherlands is sort of in a halfway-there state when it comes to a non-prohibition approach to drugs.
They do regulate very heavy the use of "soft drugs" such as pot. The hard drugs are still illegal due to the effects they have on the body. They have been cracking down on the coffee shops recently on where and when they can sell pot IE not within 200 meters of a school, adding mushrooms to the ban list of hard drugs, and only allowing dutch citizens to be able to purchase these "soft drugs" the are finding that they are not decreasing drug use, they spend a crap load of money on rehabilitation centers, and the drug use is consistent with the rest of Europe (10.9% young males use soft drugs in the Netherlands as opposed to 9.9 in Germany) they have a very very strict sentence for anyone selling or import / export of hard drugs which is min. 15-16 years in prison.

Old 11-08-2008, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noahma View Post
They do regulate very heavy the use of "soft drugs" such as pot. The hard drugs are still illegal due to the effects they have on the body. They have been cracking down on the coffee shops recently on where and when they can sell pot IE not within 200 meters of a school, adding mushrooms to the ban list of hard drugs, and only allowing dutch citizens to be able to purchase these "soft drugs" the are finding that they are not decreasing drug use, they spend a crap load of money on rehabilitation centers, and the drug use is consistent with the rest of Europe (10.9% young males use soft drugs in the Netherlands as opposed to 9.9 in Germany) they have a very very strict sentence for anyone selling or import / export of hard drugs which is min. 15-16 years in prison.
I'm aware of that, but it's not like there are any figures available for a country that has ended prohibition of all drugs. Like I said, the Netherlands is only halfway there.

I think that pot should be sold in places like liquor stores and head shops to adults who can prove their age as they would with tobacco or alcohol, and that other drugs should be dispensed in clinics where help is available for addicts.

Throwing drug addicts in prison is folly. Just like they can't keep drugs out of the country, they can't keep them out of prison either, and it does not address the problem. They get released, and they go right back to doing what they were doing, just hardened and with a criminal record that hinders their chances of getting a regular job, place to live and such - you know, like productive citizens.

Old 11-08-2008, 11:36 PM

3,689 posts, read 8,814,366 times
Quote:
I'm aware of that, but it's not like there are any figures available for a country that has ended prohibition of all drugs. Like I said, the Netherlands is only halfway there.

I think that pot should be sold in places like liquor stores and head shops to adults who can prove their age as they would with tobacco or alcohol, and that other drugs should be dispensed in clinics where help is available for addicts.

Throwing drug addicts in prison is folly. Just like they can't keep drugs out of the country, they can't keep them out of prison either, and it does not address the problem. They get released, and they go right back to doing what they were doing, just hardened and with a criminal record that hinders their chances of getting a regular job, place to live and such - you know, like productive citizens.
Netherlands has a hard time keeping these hard drugs out of their country as well. And they are now a major exporter of illicit drugs because of the laws they have enacted in both the restriction, and the legalizing of certain "soft drugs"

in the end, this is a loosing battle no matter which way you go. I have no problem with pot being available to those over 21, or people with chronic diseases. But the hard stuff I never want to see legalized, they are too ravaging to the human body, extremely addictive and a poison on society.

Old 11-09-2008, 05:55 PM

this is the difference on the drug addicts and murders for the U.S and the Dutch... Dutch population 16,645,313
American population.... 305,186,613 ....Gee i wonder why it's less in the Netherlands.
http://img2.mysmiley.net/imgs/smile/tongue/tongue0015.gif (broken link)

Old 11-09-2008, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elvislives View Post
this is the difference on the drug addicts and murders for the U.S and the Dutch... Dutch population 16,645,313
American population.... 305,186,613 ....Gee i wonder why it's less in the Netherlands.
That's why it's given as a percentage or as a per-100K ratio. It's not presented as an aggregation of sheer numbers.

Old 11-09-2008, 06:36 PM

Dutch Drug Policy: A Model for America? I dunno the Dutch seem to have a well thought out program . I still doubt it would work in America.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates